5w-30 Castrol Edge vs Mobil 1 vs Pennzoil Platinum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which of these 3 5w-30 Synthetic oils would be best for a 2.7L Ford Ecoboost motor? These are usually the 3 that are most commonly on the shelf in the store. Also, what about Valvoline Advanced Full Synthetic?

Looking for the best of these with fuel dilution, shearing, and keeping the pistons clean being an direct injection engine. Ive been using Pennzoil Platinum and Ultra Platinum 5W-30 but have read reports that the current formulation isnt as good as it used to be and im considering trying Castrol Edge or Mobil 1. I also read that the Pennzoil synthetics are too thin for a 5w-30?

Thanks-

Last edited:
Tough call they are all going to perform very similary. PUP will likely keep the piston rings a tad cleaner compared to regular M1/Edge. Not sure about Mobil 1 EP/AP or Edge EP. I'd maybe give Edge a shot based on their claims using thevthe Kurt Orbahn test. It's anyone's guess though....

PP is not too thin for a 5w30. That doesn't make any sense.

You've got a lot of unfounded notions in that post, where have you seen "reports" that the current formulation of Pennzoil oil isn't as good as it "used to be"? Also, if it is a 30-grade where have you read that it is "too thin" for a 5W-30?

Or are we just opposed to SOPUS products?

Originally Posted by buster
Tough call they are all going to perform very similary. PUP will likely keep the piston rings a tad cleaner compared to regular M1/Edge. Not sure about Mobil 1 EP/AP or Edge EP. I'd maybe give Edge a shot based on their claims using thevthe Kurt Orbahn test.

Also, I have been changing the oil every 5,000 miles. Do the Extended Protection oils offer any benefits if changing every 5,000?

And ive just read Pennzoil synthetic 5W-30s tend to be on the thinner side of the 5W-30 spec and shear down to less than a 5W-30 at the end of usage. Just what ive read searching around the forums. It does seem to be watery when I drain it out compared to other 5W-30s ive used in other vehicles.

You cannot determine the viscosity of an oil by the appearance when you drain it, that is not possible. And you've read on this forum that it is thinner and shears down at the end of usage? If it does shear that is related to the application more than the oil. But nearly every "sheared" oil on here is in reality due to fuel dilution, not actual mechanical shear.

Where did you read that it wasn't as good as it used to be?

Originally Posted by asdaven
Also, I have been changing the oil every 5,000 miles. Do the Extended Protection oils offer any benefits if changing every 5,000?.

No.

Originally Posted by buster
Tough call they are all going to perform very similary. PUP will likely keep the piston rings a tad cleaner compared to regular M1/Edge. Not sure about Mobil 1 EP/AP or Edge EP. I'd maybe give Edge a shot based on their claims using thevthe Kurt Orbahn test.

Also, I have been changing the oil every 5,000 miles. Do the Extended Protection oils offer any benefits if changing every 5,000?

And ive just read Pennzoil synthetic 5W-30s tend to be on the thinner side of the 5W-30 spec and shear down to less than a 5W-30 at the end of usage. Just what ive read searching around the forums. It does seem to be watery when I drain it out compared to other 5W-30s ive used in other vehicles.

In three vehicles in my fleet and a few UOA's, PU did not thin down in severe service use doing sensible OCIs.

asdaven:

The age old question.Which one of the "Big Three" is best? - they are all meh good, I suppose.

I thought you want better.

FUCHS or Pentosin or Total Synthetic oil of the appropriate transferable VAG or MB approval.

Look harder, pay the extra bucks for vollsynthetische Motoröle

for the high output turbomotor.

Last edited:
This is just my personal opinion. If those three oils were all that I had to choose from, I would go with the Mobil 1.
#1 Mobil 1
#2 Castrol Edge
#3 Pennzoil Platinum
Look at the product data sheets for each and make your choice.
I will be moving to Chevron Havoline Pro DS 5W30 for my Ford Escape. It has a 5.7 Qt. sump and the Havoline Pro DS can be purchased in 6Qt. boxes.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by MParr
This is just my personal opinion. If those three oils were all that I had to choose from, I would go with the Mobil 1.
#1 Mobil 1
#2 Castrol Edge
#3 Pennzoil Platinum
Look at the product data sheets for each and make your choice.
I will be moving to Chevron Havoline Pro DS 5W30 for my Ford Escape. It has a 5.7 Qt. sump and the Havoline Pro DS can be purchased in 6Qt. boxes.

Im new to learning about the ingredients and additves used in oil. So I dont know quite know what im looking at yet on the product data sheets.

Everybody talks about Castrol Magnatec in the EcoBoost engine but isnt the Castrol Edge supposed to be the better product? Also, does anybody have an used oil analysis using Castrol Edge in an Ecoboost? Ive seen Mobil 1 and Pennzoil but not Castrol Edge.

Last edited:
I want an oil with a total package. What good is an oil with the best wear package if it skimps on cleaning visa versa? What good is an oil with great cleaning ability if it doesnt neutralize corrosive acids visa versa? People make a personal list based on one aspect of an oils ability and give the rest little thought. We all know our vehicles most likely will never suffer from an oil related failure, all while engine cleanliness is almost never brought up and is a major factor of the overall life of an engine along with wear.

Just pick one and try it. You can read all you want and it doesnt matter or really correlate except cold pumpability.

And then there is the basestock interchange.

Runs great one batch, not so much next batch.

Which of these 3 5w-30 Synthetic oils would be best for a 2.7L Ford Ecoboost motor? These are usually the 3 that are most commonly on the shelf in the store. Also, what about Valvoline Advanced Full Synthetic?

Looking for the best of these with fuel dilution, shearing, and keeping the pistons clean being an direct injection engine. Ive been using Pennzoil Platinum and Ultra Platinum 5W-30 but have read reports that the current formulation isnt as good as it used to be and im considering trying Castrol Edge or Mobil 1. I also read that the Pennzoil synthetics are too thin for a 5w-30?

Thanks-

ALL-4 you mentioned are the Cats Meow in mid-level priced vehicle oils. Smart to use a manufacturer name-brand over a house brand.

And ive just read Pennzoil synthetic 5W-30s tend to be on the thinner side of the 5W-30 spec and shear down to less than a 5W-30 at the end of usage.

Hogwash. All the oils you listed are A5/B5 SN/GF-5 type oils, they are all thin for the grade, and they are functionally interchangeable in service where specified.

Thanks-

All would preform nearly identical buy on price and availability. I prefer Pennzoil but I buy based on price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back