BMW i8 Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,

Glad to be here in the midst of such knowledgeable folks.
I've been very happy with Motul 300V 0W-40 oil in my 2015 Nissan GT-R Black Edition so I wanted to ask you all which oil you'd recommend for my 2015 i8.
Since it's a plug in hybrid, the manual states 0w-20 or 0w-30 BMW LL-01 since I'm in the USA. The factory fill appears to be 0w-20 BMW Twin Power Turbo oil.
Is the there a Motul version that would be better?

TIA,

Minsoo

Originally Posted by edwardh1
what does that oil cost at the bmw dealer?

I think the last time I bought some it was around $7 per quart.
Originally Posted by DuckRyder
What else carries the LL01 approval?

Pennzoil Platinum 5W-40 and Castrol 5W-40 are the most commonly available, AFAIK, Then there is Motul, Liqui Moly, etc...

Originally Posted by rooflessVW
Originally Posted by edwardh1
what does that oil cost at the bmw dealer?

I think the last time I bought some it was around $7 per quart.
Originally Posted by DuckRyder
What else carries the LL01 approval?

Pennzoil Platinum 5W-40 and Castrol 5W-40 are the most commonly available, AFAIK, Then there is Motul, Liqui Moly, etc...

BMW TPT 0W30 is NOT LL01, it is LL01FE.
Though I would personally run LL01, not LL01FE.

Last edited:
I dont think there is such an oil as LL-01 0W20. Those available in Europe are LL-14 and there is a Motul Specific available. Is the BMW TPT oil made by pennzoil / shell? I dont a good reason to deviate from the TPT.

Originally Posted by NuttCase
I dont think there is such an oil as LL-01 0W20. Those available in Europe are LL-14 and there is a Motul Specific available. Is the BMW TPT oil made by pennzoil / shell? I dont a good reason to deviate from the TPT.

No there is not. He said: 0W20 or 0W30 LL01. Actually, BMW TPT 0W30 is LL01FE not LL01.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back