Yokohama AVID Ascend GT

Put Avids on an 05 Malibu Maxx in '11. Different tires I guess. Think mine came out of Virginia. Nothing stands out one way or the other and I gave the car to my daughter a year later.

I put the Yokohama Ascend GT / V rated on Camry couple months ago.
So far great tires. Smooth, quiet and seem very good in the wet.

TW was pushing these on me for the wife's Subaru. Balogna like " I'll gve you a $100 discount and other lies eg " These are really Michelins" and "they are top of the line". I took a paper quote of over $700 mounted and balanced, and walked.
Then I saw NTB has Sumitomo HTR A/S P02 all-season for just over $500 mounted balanced and a couple hazard and rotation warranties. If I was driving I would have tried the General G-Max - Which are made by Michelin sort of
smile.gif
I have not driven the car yet so I don't know how the Sumis handle. Doesn't matter much on the Crosstrek as that thing stays flat to about 6/10ths then keels over and get all out of shape being ONLY a jacked up Impreza in reality.

The only compliant the wife has had so far was that they stink.

.... as in oderiferous.

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
TW was pushing these on me for the wife's Subaru. Balogna like " I'll gve you a $100 discount and other lies eg " These are really Michelins" and "they are top of the line". I took a paper quote of over $700 mounted and balanced, and walked.
Then I saw NTB has Sumitomo HTR A/S P02 all-season for just over $500 mounted balanced and a couple hazard and rotation warranties. If I was driving I would have tried the General G-Max - Which are made by Michelin sort of
smile.gif
I have not driven the car yet so I don't know how the Sumis handle. Doesn't matter much on the Crosstrek as that thing stays flat to about 6/10ths then keels over and get all out of shape being ONLY a jacked up Impreza in reality.

.... as in oderiferous.

I am fortunate to only need 195/60/15 inch for now. Not so pricey. Yokohama Philippines had a big fire back in 2017. makes you wonder what they are doing behind the scenes. I wonder if the factory is even automated.

smile.gif

.... as in oderiferous.

I would buy the set of Yokohama's for $700 over the set of Sumitomo's for $500. I tried a set of Sumitomos on my Camaro for track use, and figured that they may be slower due to the hard rubber compound, but that I would be able to drive them hard all the time. Wrong. After three hard laps, they lost grip, even from the low amount that they started with. I had many sets of Yokohamas for track use over the years, and they were much faster, and did not suffer the same amount of grip degradation as the Sumitomos. I chalk it up as a noble experiment that did not work out.

As I recall the fire started in a warehouse and was caused by flammable chemicals. Production restarted not too long afterwards but limited as one might expect. The fire destroyed about 10-15% of the complex.

I do not know the extent of automation if any there.

Originally Posted by csandste
Put Avids on an 05 Malibu Maxx in '11. Different tires I guess. Think mine came out of Virginia. Nothing stands out one way or the other and I gave the car to my daughter a year later.

I've got them on the G37, from two or three years ago. Nothing stands out one way or the other for me, either, aside from the warranty, which was, at the time of purchase for me, 5 years with unlimited mileage.

If I was driving I would have tried the General G-Max - Which are made by Michelin sort of
smile.gif

Isn't General "sort of ... " owned by Continental since 1987 ?

Originally Posted by geeman789
If I was driving I would have tried the General G-Max - Which are made by Michelin sort of
smile.gif

Sorry I was thinking BFG.Comps. The Michelin thing means nothing to me.

Originally Posted by geeman789
smile.gif

Sorry I was thinking BFG.Comps. The Michelin thing means nothing to me.

When Walmart receives shipments of GTs they would always come directly from a Continental factory with the logo on the shipping label. I'm sure they are made side by side with Continental tires.

Originally Posted by A_Harman

I would buy the set of Yokohama's for $700 over the set of Sumitomo's for $500. I tried a set of Sumitomos on my Camaro for track use, ...

I purchased these tires for a Small awd wagon with an emphasis on rain performance. The O.E. Yoko were over $1200 installed!

I don't know what Sumitomo make for track tires, but I'm have been no Sumitomo fan. But, They are a big Chem Co and are OE rubber compound mfg for many Japanese brands. I've run some 50 series cheap FALKEN that I liked. That is a low end Sumitomo brand.

I have had some mid level Yokohamas in the distant past and I liked their response. I think that was a MR2. Not dinging Yoko Avid , just TW sales guy attitude at MY area store had me running.

I've been using the tire rack comparos to pick and choose to get a good bang for the buck.

Pure generalization but my experience with Yokohama tires 3 times over. Absolutely terrible in snow/winter conditions however everywhere else really decent for the price. No idea if your parts of New Mexico gets snow/winter conditions enough to care.

Originally Posted by madRiver
Pure generalization but my experience with Yokohama tires 3 times over. Absolutely terrible in snow/winter conditions however everywhere else really decent for the price. No idea if your parts of New Mexico gets snow/winter conditions enough to care.

I have dedicated snow tires on the stock steel rims, I was actually looking for summer tires and not able to get a hold of them in my size anymore. My last two sets were Falken ecorun 914, and Nokian z-line summer tires. I almost bought the MOMO M-20 Outrun summer tires on Walmarts website for $45 each but the price shot up to $65.28. You can buy a name brand tire after rebate for that.

Originally Posted by madRiver

Hmm, that's odd, I had a set of Yoko Avid Touring S tires on my MK5 Jetta and they performed well in ice and snow. Fact there was one time that I was the only 'car' on the road besides Jeeps and trucks; not a problem. I put a set of Geolandar H/T's on my truck so I hope they'll do ok...

FYI the Avid Ascend GT is a new tire from Yokohama. The old Avid Ascend (non GT) has been discontinued. I can see some of the comments here have the two tires confused.

I got a set of these new GTs mounted in April on my '03 Jetta TDI. 215/50R17 XL load rating. I got America's Tire to do a competitor price match + took advantage of the $60 rebate for April. Total was $517 OTD, a smokin' deal!

Anyway these are great tires. My Jetta is lowered and has bilstein yellow sport shocks and there has always been a compromise with ride quality. These tires have made a massive improvement in ride, handling and wet weather performance vs. the Firestone Firehawks Indy 500 which they replaced.

Longevity remains to be seen however they do have a high wear 65K rating so we shall see. Overall I would highly recommend these tires, even if you have to pay full price.

Originally Posted by zmelli
Sumitomo......The only compliant the wife has had so far was that they stink..... as in oderiferous.
Some Chinese products stink. Bought Barska binoculars through the mail & they stunk for 3 months, till the smell faded.

Last edited:
Back