Drivers license expires tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Make sure you bring the proper ID and documentation and get the Real ID, Enhanced ID or whatever they call it. It doesn't cost more and you will be screwed boarding as plane when you try flying to be on the Dr. Phil Show without it.

Originally Posted by bubbatime
They need to get a recent picture of "the madman" into the govt databases. And check your vision.

Here, they don't check your vision, but they do need an updated picture every five years or whatever it is. Of course, that cannot be done online. My plates, which include our basic insurance in Saskatchewan, can be renewed online or by mail.

If I recall correctly, years ago, before the photo licenses appeared, you could renew by mail. That even applied for a while when photos started. The licenses here were two part, a paper annual renewal and a picture that was five years or something like that.

Originally Posted by vw7674
Originally Posted by motor_oil_madman
Actually im not sure if it actually expires on the day that's listed or the day after. Can the cops run your plates and see your license is expired?

A percentage of police vehicles have plate image capture technology.
So yeah, some but not all.

The police cars with image capture typically look against a fixed list of wanted people/cars. Downloaded daily. They do not do a check for every license plate they capture.

DL's expire at 11:59 PM on the date of Expiration.

Straight from the TxDPS, if you can't renew online, then on their end you don't meet all the required conditions to do so.

You were able to renew your license two years ahead of it expiring so waiting until it expires is nobody's fault but yours.

Sure are a lot of LMGTFY questions...

Originally Posted by Donald
The police cars with image capture typically look against a fixed list of wanted people/cars. Downloaded daily. They do not do a check for every license plate they capture.

In this province, the scanners automatically check through our DMV database for expired plates, too. I know that they can check the registered owner's license status at the same time. Whether they do or do not, I cannot say.

In Colorado it expires the day on your license. Typically the day of your birthday.

Originally Posted by MNgopher
DL's expire at 11:59 PM on the date of Expiration.

Straight from the TxDPS, if you can't renew online, then on their end you don't meet all the required conditions to do so.

You were able to renew your license two years ahead of it expiring so waiting until it expires is nobody's fault but yours.

Sure are a lot of LMGTFY questions...

It says 2 years before and after.

For the new enhanced licenses that satisfy the newer ID requirements on airplanes and such, you need to go in and show the papers (a couple of proofs of address, a birth certificate and a social security card). For non-enhanced license you still need to prove your vision is adequate, a doctor's signature on a DMV form will do it.

FWIW, in New York years ago, I didn't go down to the office until about a year and a half after my license expired once. They didn't blink an eye, and let me renew it.

Again, you had two years before to get it done before expiration and didn't. Now you are worried about what may happen since you didn't get it done. Who's fault is that?

And yes, you can still renew two years after it expires (in Texas) without taking a full drivers test. That does not mean you won't get a ticket for driving on an expired license.

Why anyone would let their licence lapse even close to the expiry date is beyond me...
12.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back