New HF electronic torque wrench - a game changer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Definitely will be buying one! Thanks for the share, the first coupon I receive that includes this, I'm buying. Their tool warranty is great. If the tool breaks, go to store, store replaces, no receipt necessary. I've become a HF fan over the years.

Interesting and could be useful if calibrated to a standard.

I may buy one just to see how it compares to my old beam-type torque wrench, not that MY beam-type torque wrench is calibrated.
smile.gif

I just noticed that the ubiquitous 20% off HF coupons DO NOT show Quinn as one of the brands NOT eligible for the discount......................... in other words, they qualify.

It looks like it might be a good tool. I'm interested in seeing some Bitog reviews before jumping in. The lifetime warranty is a nice feature too, especially if the tool is accurate.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Trav
It could be a deal but I would wait a while before jumping in.

I hear ya. Like I said, I'll wait for the Bitog reviews to start coming in.

Originally Posted by user52165
I just noticed that the ubiquitous 20% off HF coupons DO NOT show Quinn as one of the brands NOT eligible for the discount......................... in other words, they qualify.

Good point. I just added one to my online cart and the 20% coupon applied successfully - taking it down to $135.99.

Clicker does not do angles though. With TTY bolts becoming more commonplace especially on Euro cars an angle torque wrench is a good investment.

if you can see + the bolt your good to go! HF stuff is what is warranty or not they have some junk unusable tools, but for the price they are generally ok. after looking i can see its size as a limitation, big is good with lots of room but many times using a torque wrench is limited by the room you have to work in. i find myself grabbing my smallish older 3/8 standard clicker quite often but with weak hearing the readout etc would be an asset.

Last edited:
https://www.harborfreight.com/merch...n-drive-digital-torque-wrench-64916.html

Lifetime warranty

Torque and angle

Also in 3/8 drive

Or you can buy this in your choice of colors with a 2 year warranty:

https://store.snapon.com/TechAngle-...-12-5-ndash-250-ft-lb-Green-P889396.aspx

Why compare it to Snap-on offering's? A warranty doesn't mean much on a good quality torque wrench as you should have one checked every year. I have a 10 year old 3/8" Snap-on Techwrench that has had nothing besides calibrations & batteries.
The ratchet head IS warranted for life as it's the same used on their Dual 80 hand ratchets.

3% CW accuracy is certainly not game changing, More of a deal breaker in my opinion, I would like to see a Certificate of Calibration before I pass judgement though.

Originally Posted by clinebarger
https://www.harborfreight.com/merch...n-drive-digital-torque-wrench-64916.html

Lifetime warranty

Torque and angle

Also in 3/8 drive

Or you can buy this in your choice of colors with a 2 year warranty:

https://store.snapon.com/TechAngle-...-12-5-ndash-250-ft-lb-Green-P889396.aspx

Why compare it to Snap-on offering's? A warranty doesn't mean much on a good quality torque wrench as you should have one checked every year. I have a 10 year old 3/8" Snap-on Techwrench that has had nothing besides calibrations & batteries.
The ratchet head IS warranted for life as it's the same used on their Dual 80 hand ratchets.

3% CW accuracy is certainly not game changing, More of a deal breaker in my opinion, I would like to see a Certificate of Calibration before I pass judgement though.

I would say $136 vs $615 is a game changer. Maybe not for the snobbish pro but for the DIYer who are the vast majority of forum readers, it is quite a deal. Lacks vibration and flexhead, and the Snap on mystique. And no choice of colors....................really a deal breaker?

2% vs 3%? .........................is it that big a deal? Especially when a range of values is spec'd?

Last edited:
I don't care about colors.....My 3/8" Techwrench is Gray, 1/4" Techangle is Red, & the 1/2" Techangle is Green. Didn't pay retail for any of them.

I'm not a Snap-on snob.....However, I do demand accurate torque tools! Snap-on has always met my demands.

I wouldn't buy a torque wrench that was at the 2% limit, Certainly not one at 3%. Like I stated.....Show me a Certificate of Calibration!

NO affordable torque wrench is accurate through it's entire range, If the HF one is 3% through the entire range I would be shocked!

[Linked Image]

The old Snap on inch pound torqometer is still my favorite for some jobs, nothing better for checking preload breakaway. The old timer is still under 1% (it was rated for 2%).

Originally Posted by Trav
The old Snap on inch pound torqometer is still my favorite for some jobs, nothing better for checking preload breakaway. The old timer is still under 1% (it was rated for 2%).

I assume that is a 1/4 drive? This illustrates that low value torque specs are more critical than high value.

Are there any affordable 1/4" in/lb electronic models with angle available?

Last edited:
Affordable, probably not, I cant think of any TTY fasteners possibly outside of specialty applications that would require one. Mine is 1/4 drive and capable of doing the low numbers accurately needed for checking pinion breakaway torque, the most important feature besides the accuracy is the memory needle.

If you need a small body torque wrench for small fasteners with low lb-in specs a dial type is what I would be looking at, you can get one up to 150-300 lb-in for not a lot of money from CDI or Precision. The memory needle helps prevent parallax distortion as after you torque the fastener you can remove the tool and look at straight on.

https://www.amazon.com/CDI-Torque-3...559603884&s=gateway&sr=8-1-fkmr0

Originally Posted by clinebarger
I don't care about colors.....My 3/8" Techwrench is Gray, 1/4" Techangle is Red, & the 1/2" Techangle is Green. Didn't pay retail for any of them.

I'm not a Snap-on snob.....However, I do demand accurate torque tools! Snap-on has always met my demands.

I wouldn't buy a torque wrench that was at the 2% limit, Certainly not one at 3%. Like I stated.....Show me a Certificate of Calibration!

NO affordable torque wrench is accurate through it's entire range, If the HF one is 3% through the entire range I would be shocked!

[Linked Image]

I just purchased this Icon 1/2" 12-250 at HF 2 weeks ago. Whats your thoughts on accuracy?
[Linked Image]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back