Automotive belt question

Status
Not open for further replies.

I am looking to replace the belts on my Chevelle SS and have an Autozone gift card I need to use. Who makes the Duralast and Continental belts they sell? Is one better than the other?? I have heard the Duralast are Dayco and the Continental are Goodyear Gatorbacks.

Is Goodyear belts and hoses still around since Continental bought them?

Now called Contitech.

Last edited:
You have a classic Chevelle SS. Any belt you put on there, unless there is an underlying problem will age out, before it wears out. get whatever belt you want.

Mebbe apples and oranges,but the last few timing belts I used were Contitechs hecho en Mexico Good as any Continental made in Germany.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted by eljefino
I don't know that a GY Gatorback is any better in V-belts.
The "Gatorbacks" are actually called Continental Elite now, and even in standard V-belts they are a "cogged" design, which run quieter & can handle heat better than a standard flat V-belt. I use the AX type V-belts on high torque applications at work that would rapidly ruin a flat V, they are definitely an improvement, esp. on PS pumps.

Autozone actually sells Continental Belts but NOT for my car and they are warranted for 3 years. The Duralast ones are available but only warranted for a year and nobody seems to know who makes them. Are all belts basically warranted for a year nowadays? At the moment, my Chevelle has three belts made by three different manufactures (not my doing). I am looking to have them all the same brand and I am more interested in them being of good quality and quiet like Gatorbacks (now Continental) which I have used in the past on my other older vehicles. I see that Daycos are available Advance Auto but like I said they only have a one year warranty and NAPA sells a Power Fit belt as well as a regular NAPA belt for more than twice as much but I can't find out who makes or the warranty info.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
The Autozone Duralast belts are Dayco

My Autozone told me this is not the case anymore but could not state who makes them now for the Duralast brand. If they were Dayco I would but them in a heartbeat!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back