Drivers license expires tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually im not sure if it actually expires on the day that's listed or the day after. Can the cops run your plates and see your license is expired?

Originally Posted by motor_oil_madman
Actually im not sure if it actually expires on the day that's listed or the day after. Can the cops run your plates and see your license is expired?

A percentage of police vehicles have plate image capture technology.
So yeah, some but not all.

Can the cops run your plates and see your license is expired?

Absolutely.
And they can also get you for the back taxes you owe.

Here in OH, I believe you have 30 days after it expires to get it renewed-but the new federal anti-identity theft/terrorism program means the new one gets mailed to you, you can't pick it up, just a temporary piece of paper.

Originally Posted by bullwinkle
Here in OH, I believe you have 30 days after it expires to get it renewed-but the new federal anti-identity theft/terrorism program means the new one gets mailed to you, you can't pick it up, just a temporary piece of paper.

It's like this in Arizona also.

I just renewed mine. I was like a week late. I had the temporary piece of paper for 10 days and my new license was in the mailbox. I couldn't believe how fast it came.

With Real ID requirements you have to go through a lot of hoops to renew. Need proof of residence address, proof of citizenship, social security card, appear in person, etc. Make sure you have everything you need before you go in. I had trouble with my proof of residence because I had just moved.

I don't understand why they won't let me renew it online though. I meet all of their credentials.

IIRC, you can renew without going in for 9 years after the previous trip into the DMV to renew. That 10th year mandates another eye sight test, so you have to go in to renew. Then 9 more renews without, followed by a trip in, and so on and so forth.

As far the cops knowing it is expired, the answer is "it depends." Is your vehicle registered in your name? If so, the expired license will show up anytime they get behind you and run your license plates. If not (e.g. it's registered in your wife's name), they will not be able to tell it is expired until they pull you over and run it then.

There is a grace period of 5 days for registration, but there is not one for driver's license that I am aware. Whatever the date is on your license (presumably your bday), you are breaking the law by driving past midnight on that day and subject to being stopped for it.

Last edited:

What you're asking is, does it expire on 5/3 at 12:01 am or 5/4 at 12:01am.

My registrations expire on the last day of the month, so it's inclusive of that day.

I would not dilly-dally. Get on it, son!

Just be sure you get a Real ID compliant license or you won't be able to use it to fly or to get into federal buildings after October 2020.

Mine expires on my birthday and you have to renew before they close. It's done at the Secretary Of States office. Ours has a machine in the lobby that scans your registration and prints out the tags. It accepts debit/credit cards.

How old are you? After a certain age many ask for an eye test and written test each renewal.
The real ID isn't required, and no DL requires citizenship and never has. I just went through it and couldn't get my BC in time so have the standard license. So after 2020 I can't fly unless I bring a passport ot get the real id. I can't renew onine any more, eye exam and written test needed every five years.

I don't understand why they won't let me renew it online though.

Because they need to take your picture. And this can't come as some big surprise. The expiration date is right on it and I assume they send you a notice well in advance.

I almost overlooked mine, and rushed it at the last moment. Last time I renewed online; as a result, for however long (10 years?) my photo showed me beardless--guess what? I've been bearded for that long. This time they wanted it without glasses, but I wear glasses all the time, and I'm toying with shaving the beard. So again I'll not look like the picture for another 10 years... oh well, if I do things right, no one really needs to see it anyhow.

I goofed and didn't pay attention. I wound up looking like Charles Manson in the photo. Even my wife laughed at it. Some day I should go back and demand a new one.

The real id is likely reason they want you to go in and also bring some supporting documents. Make sure you read/bring what you need as I watched people get rejected left and right at local DMV.

Normally you can do online but you are getting a federal id after beyond a drivers license.

Texas DOT has a very good web site that should be able to answer your question. If not call them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back