Catastrophic ecodiesel failure

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure I buy the ULSD = bad argument. I bought a 2004 VW TDi, with this high pressure unit injectors (27,000psi?) and that was about the time ULSD rolled out. 314k and no injector problems. Early in its life I did use additives, then I switched to B20, then the last 100k or more was straight D2. I did change the fuel filter every 40k or so; but at least on the VW, if the filter plugged up, it just ran without power.

Sounds like the filter is a poor design if it failed--maybe it split and whatever grit was caught by it simply washed out and downstream.

Originally Posted by Audios
This is the first time Ive heard of something like that happening in 20 years of diesel training. The ULSD can be a huge problem, I usually run additives to be safe, but Ive sent a few BMW diesels back to the dealer for goodwill repairs, one dealer ate a $14k repair bill for complete diesel injection system, 2 pumps, injectors filters sensors and a FUEL TANK AND LINES!!!

This seems more and more common with the CP4 pump.

I would not keep this one outside the warranty period. $10-$20k in fuel system parts for these new diesels is insane. Glad they are fixing it for you though.

Originally Posted by supton
I'm not sure I buy the ULSD = bad argument. I bought a 2004 VW TDi, with this high pressure unit injectors (27,000psi?) and that was about the time ULSD rolled out. 314k and no injector problems. Early in its life I did use additives, then I switched to B20, then the last 100k or more was straight D2. I did change the fuel filter every 40k or so; but at least on the VW, if the filter plugged up, it just ran without power.

Sounds like the filter is a poor design if it failed--maybe it split and whatever grit was caught by it simply washed out and downstream.

The way it was described to me, the filter disintegrated. They found bits of cotton like material in everything.

Last edited:
VW diesel cars require a fuel filter at 20,000 mile intervals. I have seen two removed from my car and they were not pretty.

Originally Posted by turbodieselfreak

The way it was described to me, the filter disintegrated. They found bits of cotton like material in everything.
That's freaky-I've never seen a cotton (fleece?) fuel filter, they've always been cellulose. I still would love to know who made the bad one, so I know what to avoid. The CP3 in my Ram isn't cheap either...

Scary!! I need to change my fuel filter. Have not done that in years. But then again I don't put too many miles, it is 2006 & only 110k miles.
I do run Kreen about 8 oz a tank.

Last edited:
I used to have a 5.9. The filter isn't even remotely similar. It's not pleated, looks like a smooth cellulose, no idea on manufacturer. I can take a pic if you want.
Originally Posted by bullwinkle

That's freaky-I've never seen a cotton (fleece?) fuel filter, they've always been cellulose. I still would love to know who made the bad one, so I know what to avoid. The CP3 in my Ram isn't cheap either...

For ISB engines, stick to the Fleetguard products. I've never had an issue with Fleetguard in my Cummins ISB engines.

Here is the Mopar Ecodiesel filter. Looks like sort of sponge like.
[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Happened last week. I was on my way to work and got the dreaded "service electronic throttle" message . 2015 ecodiesel with 41,000 miles. I limped it to the dealer after stalling with limited power . I had the dealer do the fuel filters for my own protection knowing the history of cp4 pumps. Chrysler is replacing my entire injection system on their dime, apparently the fuel filter disintegrated and destroyed everything downstream. They told me I'm the first case they've seen. Anyone else in my boat?

The EcoDiesel is a totally different design from the Cummins B/ISB used in the Ram HD trucks. It's a VM Motori design. VM Motori was part-owned by Penske-era Detroit Diesel before Fiat bought them out.

It's funny how Cummins is using Bosch pumps on their smaller engines, while their bigger truck/bus/boat engines use an in-house system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back