2018 F150 5.0 15k miles; PZ 5w-20 5k miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my work truck so it goes to Jiffy Lube where I watch them do the work. They like to tell me the conventional Pennzoil is only good for 3k miles so I had it analyzed. Truck has 15k total, oil was in use for 5023 miles.

Metals (ppm)
Iron (Fe) 13
Chromium (Cr) Lead (Pb) Copper (Cu) 3
Tin (Sn) Aluminium (Al) 3
Nickel (Ni) Silver (Ag) Titanium (Ti) Vanadium (V)
Contaminants (ppm)
Silicon (Si) 10
Sodium (Na) 4
Potassium (K) 2

Additives (ppm)
Magnesium (Mg) 535
Calcium (Ca) 1433
Barium (Ba) Phosphorus (P) 779
Zinc (Zn) 925
Molybdenum (Mo) 167
Boron (B) 33

Contaminants
Water (%) Coolant No Physical Tests
Viscosity (cSt 100C) 8.3

Physical / Chemical
Base Number (mgKOH/g) 3.1

DIAGNOSIS All wear levels appear within acceptable limits for first sample. Silicon level (dirt/sealant material) satisfactory. Water content acceptable. Viscosity within specified operating range. Action: As oil and filter(s) already changed, resample at next recommended interval to monitor and establish wear trend.

Last edited by a moderator:
With TBN at 3, you could probably go another 2,000 miles, for a total of about 7,000 miles on that. Viscosity held up. Its good.

Your engine is still breaking in. Overall the 5.0L Coy motors wear very well; huge sump capacity helps there.
They like to tell you conventional PZ is good for 3k miles, because it's good for their bottom line; they sell more = they profit more.

The reality is that even conventional lubes can easily go 10k-15k miles in most modern engines. 5k miles is a yawn-er excuse for an OCI. I believe the 17 MY 5.0 was the last of the PI engines; prior to the duel fueling engines. That was a great design; those engines wear very well and without the DI, they have no fuel dilution issues to speak of. (UPDATE 5-31-19; vehicle has been determined to be a 2018; this comment was based on initial OP title of it being a 2017)

Your wear rates will continue to go down. In general, you can easily follow the IOLM in that truck; just OFCI with that while under warranty and ignore the sales guy at the quickie-lube.

BTW ... I updated your title to our desired convention

Last edited:
That's a nice big dollop of Molybdenum in that oil!

5W-20 Pennz is what my truck was run on for the first part of it's life.

At 191,000 miles, it still doesn't burn a single drop.

Thanks for posting, was curious of what Pennzoil's 'SN+' formula looked like.

Nice to see it is still strong on detergents and anti-wear!

I didn't quite laugh when the JIffy Lube tech claimed the oil was only good for 3k, but did say that there was strong evidence to the contrary. It's $25 more to go from conventional Pennzoil to a semi-synthetic plus the additional 3.8 quarts to fill the sump. The Napa oil analysis cost me $15.49.

My company keeps trucks for a long time and I wanted to establish a good OCI. I'll likely do one more 5k oil change and analysis before extending the OCI out closer to the OLM alert. The OLM was reading 50% a few hundred miles before the service.

I didn't know this was a dual-injection engine. Looks like I found the high pressure fuel pump on the right side cam cover. And that Ford had to move an ignition coil and add a plug wire to fit it there. The engine and the 10-speed automatic it's mated to are not the smoothest of combinations. I wonder about the 1st year engine and trans calibrations as I can hold constant throttle under moderate acceleration and feel significant changes in torque. The 10-speed can get clunky in on/off throttle transitions that happen frequently in traffic. This is more pronounced when the trans is cold. The horsepower is certainly there and the fuel economy is quite good for a full size 4x4.

Originally Posted by Joshua_Skinner
The horsepower is certainly there and the fuel economy is quite good for a full size 4x4.

What kind of mileage are you getting?

... I didn't know this was a dual-injection engine. ... The engine and the 10-speed automatic it's mated to are not the smoothest of combinations....

Sure you don't have an '18? These two things didn't hit the 5.0 F-150 until then.

Last edited:
It's nice to see a Conventional oil UOA for a change, and even nicer to see it holds up as well as a synthetic for the given miles. BITOG has brainwashed so many of us (me included).
wink.gif

Originally Posted by doyall
... I didn't know this was a dual-injection engine. ... The engine and the 10-speed automatic it's mated to are not the smoothest of combinations....

Sure you don't have an '18? These two things didn't hit the 5.0 F-150 until then.

Yes, it's a 2018 F150. Either I made a typo or the moderator who changed the subject line did.

Originally Posted by Linctex
The horsepower is certainly there and the fuel economy is quite good for a full size 4x4.

What kind of mileage are you getting?

Most tanks with city driving and 70+ MPH highway driving are around 18. On slower highways I get close to the EPA estimated 22 MPG. The EPA highway testing is at a much lower speed than many/most people drive.

Yes, it's a 2018 F150. Either I made a typo or the moderator who changed the subject line did.

In defense of dnewton3, it did say 2017 in the original title. Nice results for such low total miles on the engine.

Originally Posted by dustyroads

In defense of dnewton3, it did say 2017 in the original title. Nice results for such low total miles on the engine.

Yes - it did say 2017 before I changed it, so I left that alone. I will update it to 2018.

It matters simply because folks whom are doing thread searches using the search tool will need the title info to be correct. That is why we prefer {veh yr, eng, mi; lube grade, mi} or some variation thereof. When folks put other verbiage in the title, it makes the search tool less effective. Hence "Hey - my first UOA" and other such stuff is not helpful.

Back on topic ... that this is a young 2018 with such decent wear is very encouraging.

I test drove a 2017 5.0L in 2017 and liked it. Then in 2018 I test drove a 2018 5.0 with the HDPP (3.73 rear end), and it was like a little go-kart; that engine/tranny flat likes to scoot! Ultimately, though, I bought a 2018 F250 with the 6.2L; just wanted a "beefier" truck.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
With TBN at 3, you could probably go another 2,000 miles, for a total of about 7,000 miles on that. Viscosity held up. Its good.

Closer to easily an 10K miles.

Originally Posted by wemay
It's nice to see a Conventional oil UOA for a change, and even nicer to see it holds up as well as a synthetic for the given miles. BITOG has brainwashed so many of us (me included).
wink.gif

02.gif
lol.gif

Whimsey

II didn't know this was a dual-injection engine. Looks like I found the high pressure fuel pump on the right side cam cover. And that Ford had to move an ignition coil and add a plug wire to fit it there. The engine and the 10-speed automatic it's mated to are not the smoothest of combinations. I wonder about the 1st year engine and trans calibrations as I can hold constant throttle under moderate acceleration and feel significant changes in torque. The 10-speed can get clunky in on/off throttle transitions that happen frequently in traffic. This is more pronounced when the trans is cold. The horsepower is certainly there and the fuel economy is quite good for a full size 4x4.

I have the same truck and the 10 speed was truly annoying when cold. Hard shifts, hanging in gear, even one cold start where the trans went into neutral on its own twice under light throttle. I took it to the dealer and they re-flashed the trans electronics with the latest and greatest. It fixed 95% of the shift issues. Once it gets to 5th, it's excellent up through 10th and back down. The trans was a joint effort between Ford and GM. Evidently GM did 1-5 and Ford 6-10. I would trade it for a 6R-140 in a heartbeat but that's a medium duty only offering.

Originally Posted by AITG
II didn't know this was a dual-injection engine. Looks like I found the high pressure fuel pump on the right side cam cover. And that Ford had to move an ignition coil and add a plug wire to fit it there. The engine and the 10-speed automatic it's mated to are not the smoothest of combinations. I wonder about the 1st year engine and trans calibrations as I can hold constant throttle under moderate acceleration and feel significant changes in torque. The 10-speed can get clunky in on/off throttle transitions that happen frequently in traffic. This is more pronounced when the trans is cold. The horsepower is certainly there and the fuel economy is quite good for a full size 4x4.

I have the same truck and the 10 speed was truly annoying when cold. Hard shifts, hanging in gear, even one cold start where the trans went into neutral on its own twice under light throttle. I took it to the dealer and they re-flashed the trans electronics with the latest and greatest. It fixed 95% of the shift issues. Once it gets to 5th, it's excellent up through 10th and back down. The trans was a joint effort between Ford and GM. Evidently GM did 1-5 and Ford 6-10. I would trade it for a 6R-140 in a heartbeat but that's a medium duty only offering.

I just believe you can't keep up with the times and anything modern you have issues adapting. Unless you are specifically hunting for the gear changes the shifts are hardly noticeable or you have a bad transmission.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back