Corolla Manual 6 Speed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is the 6 speed manual transmission in the Corolla Hatch really a "Manual" transmission, or a CVT that you can select from the 6 Speeds. I was Thinking of trading in my 2013 Fiesta 5 speed on one. Thought the 2 liter engine was a good idea. That's what the Fiesta really needs. As I remember the corolla Hatch was advertised as only being sold w/6 speed manual. Decided to keep the Fiesta. Looked like the Corolla would only be slightly faster that the Fiesta SE. Corolla was a lot heavier too. Somebody needs to make a hatch that weighs in at about 2200 LBS w/2 liter and manual transmission.

Yes, it's a real manual transmission
smile.gif

They do offer a CVT as an option

Not in today's cars...3000# is the new lightweight...I drive my GTI over a scale with me, work stuff and a full tank and it was 3500#...it's the reason it need 258 torques!

My Neon in 95 was 2600# and 130hp...pretty fast and handled well.

I saw the quote below from jalopnik. That's what made me wonder if it was a CVT

"And it's not just a six-speed recycled from some other car. It's a brand-new transmission for the Corolla, Toyota's chief engineer Yoshiki Konishi, told me. It's called the Intelligent Manual Transmission.

Konishi said that they wanted more people to have that fun-to-drive feeling. That widespread appeal also extends to the tactile feedback of the manual. The IMT will have a certain amount of built-in smoothness, because Konishi also added that the engine and shift speeds have been synchronized for a "no shock, very smooth" shift action."

So they are having the engine electronically match it's speed to your up or down shift? Is it a manually shifted dual clutch transmission? The stick shift is actually connected to the transmission like in my Fiesta or TR, or It's just a gadget that makes you think so, but is actually sending signals by wire?

Originally Posted by borgward
I saw the quote below from jalopnik. That's what made me wonder if it was a CVT

"And it's not just a six-speed recycled from some other car. It's a brand-new transmission for the Corolla, Toyota's chief engineer Yoshiki Konishi, told me. It's called the Intelligent Manual Transmission.

Konishi said that they wanted more people to have that fun-to-drive feeling. That widespread appeal also extends to the tactile feedback of the manual. The IMT will have a certain amount of built-in smoothness, because Konishi also added that the engine and shift speeds have been synchronized for a "no shock, very smooth" shift action."

So they are having the engine electronically match it's speed to your up or down shift? Is it a manually shifted dual clutch transmission? The stick shift is actually connected to the transmission like in my Fiesta or TR, or It's just a gadget that makes you think so, but is actually sending signals by wire?

It's a real manual transmission. Relax
smile.gif

Nissan has offered rev-matching on a real manual transmission for 10 years now.

There are good and not-so-good manuals. Honda makes some of the best ones, and there are plenty of awful MT's out there.

Tremec has used a computerized skip-shift feature for 25 years
smirk2.gif

The Corolla's IMT isn't the Doug Nash you think it is

[Linked Image]

Electronic speed matching. We used to call that speed shifting and double clutching. The brain is the electronics. I wonder how many here know what those are.

I went and built one on the Toyota site, it is it's own category… I am glad Toyota is keeping that in the lineup.

Because (among other reasons)

My brother owns a 1995 Tercel with a five speed that he got from an estate; still runs like a top...(and since this is BITOG, he does M1 at 8-10k kile intervals)

That grotesque stuck-on tablet on the dash would have me running.

I would guarantee the OP'a Fiesta handles 100% better than the Corolla.

I had a rental Fiesta a couple year ago in FLA. Surprisingly Great , and fun driving car.

Better than the Mazda 2 by far. (same platform?)

Nice to see a MT offered,But big bucks and will loose value.

Only You want an MT ( thinks the ales manager)

Last edited:
Originally Posted by LotI
Not in today's cars...3000# is the new lightweight...I drive my GTI over a scale with me, work stuff and a full tank and it was 3500#...it's the reason it need 258 torques!

The Subaru BRZ tips the scales at just a tick under 2800 pounds, so they do still make some lighter cars out there, but I do agree that it's not as common as it used to be.

It bothers me a little bit that the smallest BMW you can get these days (the 2 series) is over 3600 pounds! What??? That is so bloated for such a small car! The small BMWs from 50 years ago weighed under 2100 pounds!!

I like the fact that my Civic coupe weighs in at only about 2750 pounds, and even my Corvette is rather lightweight at 3300 pounds (much better than a Camaro or Mustang which are about 500 pounds heavier!)

Considering that 95% of consumers want a automatic and that number may be higher for Corolla buyers, I'm surprised Toyota offers it in this model.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Considering that 95% of consumers want a automatic and that number may be higher for Corolla buyers, I'm surprised Toyota offers it in this model.

You speak truth, although 95% might be a little low nowadays....

I own this car with the CVT but did test drive the 6 speed manual and you can turn off the IMT and drive it like any old school manual transmission vehicle. After 35 years of owning vehicles with manual transmissions I decided it was time to try a CVT.
I've owned mine about 2 months now but can't really tell you how it would compare to a Fiesta, I just drive it to work (3 miles away) and around town commuting. I'm a motorcycle guy and use those for any kind of performance stuff.

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
That grotesque stuck-on tablet on the dash would have me running.

I would guarantee the OP'a Fiesta handles 100% better than the Corolla.

I had a rental Fiesta a couple year ago in FLA. Surprisingly Great , and fun driving car.

Better than the Mazda 2 by far. (same platform?)

Nice to see a MT offered,But big bucks and will loose value.

Only You want an MT ( thinks the ales manager)

I could not be any happier with a FWD car's handling than I am with my Fiesta ST's (ONLY available in a 6 speed MANUAL, BTW
wink.gif
) ability to change direction QUICKLY, and mostly neutrally, and that is right off the showroom floor!

Once I do full suspension mods to it, it will embarrass some of the much more 'high zoot' machinery out there!
wink.gif
19.gif

Originally Posted by Patman
Originally Posted by LotI

The Subaru BRZ tips the scales at just a tick under 2800 pounds, so they do still make some lighter cars out there, but I do agree that it's not as common as it used to be.

It bothers me a little bit that the smallest BMW you can get these days (the 2 series) is over 3600 pounds! What??? That is so bloated for such a small car! The small BMWs from 50 years ago weighed under 2100 pounds!!

I like the fact that my Civic coupe weighs in at only about 2750 pounds, and even my Corvette is rather lightweight at 3300 pounds (much better than a Camaro or Mustang which are about 500 pounds heavier!)

The Camaro and Stang are too heavy. Even the BRZ is portly

The Miata is under 2400. That is getting there, but still piggy.

I am impressed with the Vette's low weight. Lot of work to keep her light.

Do they still run the transverse fibreglass leaf springs front and back?? I though they were cool and proper.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back