Quaker State Full Synthetic Cleaning Ability

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a stash of 10w-30 Full Synthetic Torque Power 4x4 Truck oil that is the oldest of what I have in my stash. The truck that I'll be using it in is in my autosig, and I generally use 5w-30 in it, but when I saw the deal on this oil I couldn't pass on it since I know I can use it as a summer oil.

The truck was a certified sludge bucket when I first bought it, and through the miracle of time which includes taking it down, cleaning out everything I could by hand and running short OCIs using cleaning additives and conventional oil and also one run with Rotella T6 syn, which by the way, cleaned it VERY well from what I saw in the drain pan, it is in sludge remission and my conventional oil now stays clear indefinitely.

I want to begin going with normal OCIs (5000 miles minimum) using fully synthetic oils with strong detergents to continue the cleaning process and since purchasing this truck, I ended up with a sizable stash of this oil, and I was going to use either PP, PU or M1-HM (I have these in my stash too) for a year or so before using this QS Syn oil, but the date on this oil is 2006, so it's the oldest in my stash and I'd like to get it out of there before moving on to other stuff.

What are your thoughts on using this QS Full Syn? I know it's good for an engine that's already clean, but what about an engine that still needs some attention regarding cleaning it out?

I was thinking strongly beforehand about using the Ultra and a Fram XG. Also, I'm thinking about just running the QS this one time for my own edification and cutting the filter open to see what's in it afterwards.

Sounds like a good idea. If all/most of the sludge is gone, I wouldn't hesitate one bit to run that QS, especially with it being summer time!

I would say SM/GF4 rated QSUD was noted more for durability than cleaning ability - but with new GF5/ SN rated requirements all oils will see a boost in cleaning ability to meet SN/GF5 . Perhaps a good QSUD can become even better !

i know most oils pretty much do the same thing but like i said the pennzoil ultra does what they say it does..it really cleans i dont think the quaker state cleans as well

Originally Posted By: ChrisD46
I would say SM/GF4 rated QSUD was noted more for durability than cleaning ability - but with new GF5/ SN rated requirements all oils will see a boost in cleaning ability to meet SN/GF5 . Perhaps a good QSUD can become even better !

The OP was going to use old stock QS Torque Power. I would guess it is 4+ years old.

I ended up going with the Quake State synthetic and a Wix 51515 Filter. I'll be cutting the filter open at the end of the OCI to see what's what on the inside of the filter.

I have a stash of Pennzoil Ultra, and I have no doubts on the cleaning ability based on what I've seen Pennzoil Platinum do in the past, but I want to hold off on using it for the time being just to deplete this stash of older motor oil if all possible.

If I see anything sludge related that leads me to believe that I need to pull out the big guns, I'll put in the PU for sure.

QSUD, even GF4, meets GM 6718 (Corvette spec), which IIRC has a higher standard for cleaining than GF5. So while it is no Ultra, it still will clean just fine.

Does anyone know the cleaning abilities of QS dino? There's no mention of it on their page like most other dino oils and I'm just curious if it'll clean as well as something like PYB or GTX's claims.

Sorry to resurrect an ancient thread, but better than starting a new one, right? Lol

Originally Posted by jongies3
Does anyone know the cleaning abilities of QS dino? There's no mention of it on their page like most other dino oils and I'm just curious if it'll clean as well as something like PYB or GTX's claims.

Sorry to resurrect an ancient thread, but better than starting a new one, right? Lol

I believe the cleaning will be minimal but there are advantages to minimal cleaning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back