K&N vs Spectre performance air filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by DoubleWasp
Originally Posted by grampi
Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
My uncle's bone stock '65 El Camino with a 283 and 4 speed ran high 12's on stock tires with a K&N...

lol.gif

I agree, that is hilarious, and not possible...

It's probable. I've done more with less.

I picked up .5 in the 1/4 and dropped .2 off of my 60 foot by installing Splitfire plugs in my Cummins.

When the throttle opens up, you can really tell the difference. Smoked an '83 Corvette like it was standing still.

BAH HAHAHAHAH!
grin.gif

I'm curious to find out if there's any way to increase air flow of a stock air box, but continuing to use the stock paper element.

Sure, enlarge the inlet to the stock filter box, or add a second inlet.
Back in the days of round filters over a carburetor, a visit to the junk yard for a donor filter housing, a little cutting to add a second snorkel.

Wasn't the '83 Corvette one of the slowest in the series?
A friend had me drive his Vette of roughly that vintage to try to impress me and I thought I read that it only had like 170HP...

Only the real slick people will notice there are three things wrong there, and the really really slick will know why there's almost not three.
wink.gif

- No plugs in a diesel
- No throttle in (most) diesels, and definitely not this one
- There was no "real" 1983 Corvette

The second you listed is in fact wrong, but not exactly. My engine does have a throttle, but it doesn't not open to accelerate the engine. Purely an emissions device to help EGR. Wrong, but almost not. ...

The second you listed is in fact wrong, but not exactly. My engine does have a throttle, but it doesn't not open to accelerate the engine. Purely an emissions device to help EGR. Wrong, but almost not. ...

Gotcha
grin.gif
I knew some of them had throttle plates, but they didn't act as a throttle. IIRC, some of the old MACK engines also had trap doors to stop runaway?

...- No plugs in a diesel

- Split-fires didn't help much in SI engines, either.

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
My uncle's bone stock '65 El Camino with a 283 and 4 speed ran high 12's on stock tires with a K&N...

lol.gif

I agree, that is hilarious, and not possible...

It's probable. I've done more with less.

I picked up .5 in the 1/4 and dropped .2 off of my 60 foot by installing Splitfire plugs in my Cummins.

When the throttle opens up, you can really tell the difference. Smoked an '83 Corvette like it was standing still.

A '65 El Camino with a 283 would take a considerable amount of engine mods to get into the 12s...and '83 Corvettes were real slugs...

Last edited:
Only the real slick people will notice there are three things wrong there, and the really really slick will know why there's almost not three.
wink.gif

- No plugs in a diesel

The 83 Vette was actually just the '82 models, but they were still slugs...

Gotcha
grin.gif
I knew some of them had throttle plates, but they didn't act as a throttle. IIRC, some of the old MACK engines also had trap doors to stop runaway?

Indeed. Pretty smart thing to have.

Pretty much unheard of thing today, unless one overfills the oil by a ridiculous amount.

A turbocharger oil seal failure will do it too. Engine just revs itself to death while eliminating its oil supply.

Gotcha
grin.gif

Indeed. Pretty smart thing to have.

Pretty much unheard of thing today, unless one overfills the oil by a ridiculous amount.

A turbocharger oil seal failure will do it too. Engine just revs itself to death while eliminating its oil supply.

Yeah, my buddy who wrenches on HD trucks has had to deal with it a couple of times, pretty crazy.

Are there actually any air filters in existance that flow more than oem but also dont let the dust in?
Some people say aem and afe also let dust in like k&n

I use AEM in conditions so dusty that my truck looks like it's been painted in desert camouflage.

Intake pipe clean to the eye and touch. UOA records no more silicone than my oil VOA does.

I'm using AEM Dryflow. It flows more air only as a result of having at least twice the surface area of the OEM panel filter. Not sure there is any wizardry in the media itself other than being washable.

I'm curious to find out if there's any way to increase air flow of a stock air box, but continuing to use the stock paper element. I have never seen any aftermarket high flow filters that filter as well as the OEM paper element, which is why I won't use them...

Remove the charcoal filter inside the airbox. Smooth out the interior with a dremel. Some cars have large resonators so remove them. The air inlet, if it goes directly to cold air leave it alone. If it's a jumbled up mess that goes nowhere then shorten it make sure it's smooth too, install a velocity stack at the end if possible. If you don't care about cold air then remove the inlet snorkel completely and make the hole for it as large as possible

Originally Posted by slybunda
Are there actually any air filters in existance that flow more than oem but also dont let the dust in?
Some people say aem and afe also let dust in like k&n

Of course they do....you can't have your cake and eat it too. More air flow = less filtering. The better question that isn't ask is "What filtering efficiency is needed for my engine to live a long happy life in the conditions that I operate in?". We are talking about the difference in 99% efficiency (paper) and mid-to-upper 90%s for the high-flow filters....OEM specs paper filters b/c they 1) work well and 2) work well with your average owner who is completely clueless and probably never changes it. Look at the factory performance packs for the muscle and tuner cars - often come with a high-flow filter either oiled or dry. They assume if you are buying a car like that and seek high performance, you likely also will take care of it and handle the cleaning cycle etc. for the performance filter.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back