Year round E15

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well in southern Illinois E10 and E15 are the same price. I guess the trickle down profit theory isn't here yet. I wouldn't use it anyway.

E15 here is around 7-10cents cheaper and 88octane vs 87 for regular e10.

I've used it a few times in the 2019 jeep, I would use it everytime if it was 20cents cheaper.

Yeah … my vehicles are new enough to be ready for the E evolution … but probably going to use a treatment for generators and mowers … and buy E0 x 92 for wee little motors …

It probably gives rise to a better debate on keeping ICE on the road …

Originally Posted by Rand
E15 here is around 7-10cents cheaper and 88octane vs 87 for regular e10.

I've used it a few times in the 2019 jeep, I would use it everytime if it was 20cents cheaper.

Well you're going to get worse gas mileage with E15 over E10 as ethanol has less BTU's per gallon. Not sure if the 7-10 cents is worth it or not, how much was it per gallon vs E10?

Like I said last time this came up, it's been available year-round at Sheetz here for at least 4 years.

E0 is going and just about gone, so you're going to run 10% anyway, what's the big difference if it's 15? Worst case it might trip a lean code on a car that was built last century or is unusually picky. I run it in the Grand Prix full time no problem. The octane is too low for the GTO, but I still mix it with premium. Been thinking of modifying it for E85. High octane cheap.

At least you guys know, NJ does not have any type of labelling necessary. I usually use 93 in the cars that take it, and my can, so Im not sure if I get stuck with less or more Ethanel.
Edit: Ethanel, the new fragrance for men from Chanel....

Last edited:
Vapor lock easier with E15? Cleaner fuel injectors maybe (benefit)? The lowered energy density is certainly something I can confirm (lower MPG), yet I mostly have "chemistry" questions here.

Doing the math, E15 has %95 of the energy that straight gasoline has so on the highway you might lose 2 mpg. With E10 you are already losing about 1.2 mpg vs gasoline. Looks to me that E10 or E15 is a slightly better buy in most cases but if it leads to mechanical problems it would not be worth it.

E20 here is a great choice for all our GM fleet trucks. They all love ethanol. Benefits are better shifting, smoother pulls at low rpm, great response.

But the idiots price it the same as E10! Needless to say the economics are not there for us...

Steve, are they flex fuel trucks? Just curious because mine isn't flex fuel and the manual states E15 is the max ethanol I can use.

Originally Posted by K20FA5
Steve, are they flex fuel trucks? Just curious because mine isn't flex fuel and the manual states E15 is the max ethanol I can use.

I still have 2 that are not flex fuel labeled. But the fuel seems to make them run better, too. All the trucks pull timing dramatically in the heat down here, this causes the driveability issues like surging and poor shifting. The E20 is 90 octane, and they all seem to love it.

I ran a mix of E85 in my 1996 Mustang GT (NOT flex fuel) usually 5 gallons E85 to 10 gallons of 87.

Yes - it did get worse mileage - but the pinging/detonation went away.

NO CEL ever.

Originally Posted by WobblyElvis
Doing the math, E15 has %95 of the energy that straight gasoline has so on the highway you might lose 2 mpg. With E10 you are already losing about 1.2 mpg vs gasoline. Looks to me that E10 or E15 is a slightly better buy in most cases but if it leads to mechanical problems it would not be worth it.
Here's more math:
The following is the true gasoline octane ratings with various ethanol levels in ethanol blends.
First, 87 octane 100% ethanol-free gasoline (E0) is octane 87. Duh!!
Second, inaccurate, but "designated" 87 octane 10% ethanol-blend (E10) has its gasoline component at 84 octane.
Third, inaccurate, but "designated" 88 octane 15% ethanol-blend (E15) has its gasoline component at 83.5 octane.
Fourth, inaccurate, but "designated" 87 octane 15% ethanol-blend(E15) has its gasoline component at 82.4 octane.
Only 87 octane E0 has its gasoline at 87 octane & has the best MPG, as prescribed by 87 octane gasoline engine engineers. No 87 octane ethanol-blend has any of its gasoline components anywhere near 87 octane. In my five 87 octane, low-compression ratio gasoline engines, 87 octane E0 gains 8%, 8%, 7%- 8%, 7%, & 5% better MPG, over inaccurate, but "designated" 87 octane ethanol-blend E10.
The "ethanol in gasoline industry" has bribed the public to dilute our nation's gasoline stocks with inaccurate, but "designated" 87 octane E10. Now, the "ethanol in gasoline industry" will dilute our gasoline stocks further by pushing 88 octane 15% ethanol blend to the public. If successful, the "ethanol in gasoline industry will dilute our nation's gasoline stocks further with 87 octane 15% ethanol blend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back