Hemi 5w20 choice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Given the usage, cold starts with high speed driving, I'd say one-up the Owner's Manual recommendation of 5w20 and go with Mobil1 AFE 0w30 as some others have recommended here. A full syn, which is better than the minimum swill Chrysler wants, & it splits the difference between 5w20 and the SRT version's 0w40, also will protect the engine for a full standard oil change interval. Cheap at walmart too.
That there is called "optimal choice".

Originally Posted by burla
Originally Posted by Danno
Just curious why folks here recommend oils that don't have manufacturer required certs for engines still in warranty?

Misguided is why, if you are going to run a non spec oil, mise well make it a non spec weight instead and get something out of it. 20 weights are extremely stable, hardly matters one brand to the next, but if you move to 5w30 there are incredible differences from brand to brand, and more over better film strength at the same time still using a thin oil = good idea for engine having issues like cams and lifters imo. Look for high additives oils with pao base oils is a good idea imo, also go away from the fca running 20 weight in a 390hp v8. The hemi is a dinosuar engine, it is not the modern stuff that thrives with lower weight oils, think hearty slightly heavier oils is a good strategy. That is what FCA did with the other non mds hemi's, run srt high moly 40 weight GtL base oil made in cooperation between FCA and Pennzoil. We also have guys running that in the mds engine 0w40 PUP, many guys on the board's second choice.

Looking at the Castrol Edge in 5w30, WiX filter since I cant find a Fram Ultra that's listed for my dodge lol. Am I off base with those choices

Originally Posted by NissanHauler
Originally Posted by burla
Originally Posted by Danno
Just curious why folks here recommend oils that don't have manufacturer required certs for engines still in warranty?

Misguided is why, if you are going to run a non spec oil, mise well make it a non spec weight instead and get something out of it. 20 weights are extremely stable, hardly matters one brand to the next, but if you move to 5w30 there are incredible differences from brand to brand, and more over better film strength at the same time still using a thin oil = good idea for engine having issues like cams and lifters imo. Look for high additives oils with pao base oils is a good idea imo, also go away from the fca running 20 weight in a 390hp v8. The hemi is a dinosuar engine, it is not the modern stuff that thrives with lower weight oils, think hearty slightly heavier oils is a good strategy. That is what FCA did with the other non mds hemi's, run srt high moly 40 weight GtL base oil made in cooperation between FCA and Pennzoil. We also have guys running that in the mds engine 0w40 PUP, many guys on the board's second choice.

Looking at the Castrol Edge in 5w30, WiX filter since I cant find a Fram Ultra that's listed for my dodge lol. Am I off base with those choices

If you ask me those might be the best otc choice you can make, as they upped their moly lest check. I can't remember, it was either edge or qsud, but I think both are great choices, especially in 5w30. Do you have any uoa's?

Are the failures ran with synthetic or conventional oil? Some say synthetic oil causes rollers to slide instead of roll with conventional oil it rolls. Even Ram recommended conventional . I have seen lots of hemis that are over 200k and all they ran nothing but conventional.

Dave has some UOAs on here for a ram ran on Chevron Supreme 5w20, seemed to work quite well for the application

Good synblend with a nice dollop of Moly

For 5000 mile changes, what say you? Meets the Chrysler spec, actually found the filter I wanted too.

20190601_191529.jpg

Last edited:
NissanHauler, good choices. ... Castrol has a good reputation. Can't go wrong with that.
Fram Ultra is the best and it stands alone. It will do 80% at 5 microns, unequaled.
You mentioned the Chrysler spec. It's a low bar. Not much at all to consider. GM's dexos1 Gen2 is the tougher one to look for.

Originally Posted by tiger862
Are the failures ran with synthetic or conventional oil? Some say synthetic oil causes rollers to slide instead of roll with conventional oil it rolls. Even Ram recommended conventional . I have seen lots of hemis that are over 200k and all they ran nothing but conventional.

Perhaps this thread will refresh your memory.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...c-lifter-failure-oil-related#Post2828939

It should since you participated in it. The first section is old but it was resurrected. These hemi threads are a regular occurrence here but in this case pictures and detailed comments are included including the usual arguments.

For 5000 mile changes, what say you? Meets the Chrysler spec, actually found the filter I wanted too.

For a 5k OCI you would have been better off with a Synblend or conventional imo

And a 5k oci with an ultra sounds costly and a waste of a filter than can go 15k+ mi

Last edited:
Originally Posted by PimTac
Originally Posted by tiger862

Perhaps this thread will refresh your memory.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...c-lifter-failure-oil-related#Post2828939

It should since you participated in it. The first section is old but it was resurrected. These hemi threads are a regular occurrence here but in this case pictures and detailed comments are included including the usual arguments.

I just looked over that thread and still does not answer the question of conventional 5w20 or synthetic 5w20 with more failure. Chrysler recommends conventional 5w20 but states you can use synthetic. Manual only states 5w20 for MDS to prevent failure. The people that I know that have high mileage with no cam failures have used conventional oil or not change on a regular basis. I see 1 mention he was using synthetic oil and another stated 5w30 conventional which is not recommended in manual.

It is likely a question that cannot be answered since many of the latest conventional oils have synthetic properties to meet the latest specs.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
I'm running M1 EP 0w-20 in mine. It's majority PAO-based, which means low VII dosing and excellent cold temp performance.

It's brand new and calls for 5W-20. It will be fine all year even in his climate. Why would anyone in their right mind deviate and run 0W-20???

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Lubener
I'm running M1 EP 0w-20 in mine. It's majority PAO-based, which means low VII dosing and excellent cold temp performance.
It's brand new and calls for 5W-20. It will be fine all year even in his climate. Why would anyone in their right mind deviate and run 0W-20???
What is the difference and why would it matter if both carry the specification?

I would run an oil with more PAO. I'd probably do a 50-50 blend of 0W20 and 5W30 Mobil-1 EP. This hemi engine has been around a long time and could use a little higher viscosity than 20w and increase Group4.

Please enlighten me on implications of running an oil with a superior winter rating and superior base oil composition.

Maybe he's not aware that the engine lasts longer - actually so long where the engine gets removed at the junkyard where the rust-bucket body was laid to rest and the engine bears new life for another several years inside another body.

There! How did I do?

Please enlighten me on implications of running an oil with a superior winter rating and superior base oil composition.

I'm interested in the answer too.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Maybe he's not aware that the engine lasts longer - actually so long where the engine gets removed at the junkyard where the rust-bucket body was laid to rest and the engine bears new life for another several years inside another body.

There! How did I do?

I know [censored] well that the Hemi is a staple of durability and has been around long enough that baseline design problems have had time to be refined. However, living in NH with 100 degree summers, and -20 winters. I am hard on vehicles between responding for emergency calls, living in a very hilly region, and towing a 7500-9000lb trailer. I just want to invest in the long term by doing preemptive care

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en

There! How did I do?

I know [censored] well that the Hemi is a staple of durability and has been around long enough that baseline design problems have had time to be refined. However, living in NH with 100 degree summers, and -20 winters. I am hard on vehicles between responding for emergency calls, living in a very hilly region, and towing a 7500-9000lb trailer. I just want to invest in the long term by doing preemptive care

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back