Warming Up Engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by 4WD
edyvw said:
But yeah I know people that let their vehicles idle in their driveways for 5-10 minutes, just burning that fuel...then they wonder why they are getting 5 mpg' less than me. It just isn't necessary in my opinion.

The amount of cars stolen in Colorado Springs due to "puffing" during winter is ridiculous.

"Puffing" … cold weather slang I think. The most common thing left running here is a HD series diesel PU …
I hereby coin the phrase: "clacking" …

Man, we even have "Puffer enforcement week"
smile.gif

Puffer enfrocement week

Puff at your own peril … Perfect
I think we need a week off from "clacking" down here …
have you ever tried to get a cherry limeade at Sonic with a PSD next speaker over ?
wink.gif

New and/or a car that I like:

• summer: 2-3 minutes warm up then drive slowly.
  • winter: 5-10 min warm up then drive slowly in 2nd gear. 15-20 mph, rpm 1500-1900.

Radio/music off and listen to the engine.

doing this with all my cars, they sound smooth and no knocking or clicking or additional noises if I warm up . If I don't warm up my newer v8 and 2 older v6 all mpfi make some extra noises that I don't like. Our 2.4L gdi doesn't seem to care.

All cars run very smooth and burn no oil ... 2 cars with over 370K and 200K miles on them.

UOA has also been perfect and no sign of extra wear doing the warm up vs. driving cold.
Oh wait, I've never done a UOA
lol.gif

My cars usually run for at least a minute or two because I start them as soon as I get in the driver's seat. Since I'm old school I then proceed to check and adjust mirrors, check and adjust seat belt, radio, temperature controls, etc. before I drive off. If it is really cold I will run the engine a bit to help defrost the windows and warm the car up.

Originally Posted by HowAboutThis
Originally Posted by Char Baby
Originally Posted by HowAboutThis

I just nodded and said, "oh, ok."

My assumption is he's probably a member of BITOG given this odd and completely unnecessary habit. Or is it unnecessary? Please comment with your opinion. Is this neighbor of mine a genius? Or not?

My assumption is he's probably NOT a member of BITOG! Otherwise he'd start the engine, adjust the mirrors & seats, buckle-up and drive off.

"Otherwise he'd start the engine, adjust the mirrors & seats, buckle-up, and you'd see him changing the oil weekly for the first 3 years because it's a new car and wear metals might ruin the engine by 20k if you don't change the oil every 200 miles with PUP weekly." I fixed your statement for you.

Thank you!
laugh.gif

My truck gets about a 60 second warmup then I'm off. The best thing for preventing wear is to get the oil up to temp ASAP but at moderate RPM's.

Originally Posted by SevenBizzos
The one thing I learn in these threads is that people adjust their mirrors a lot.

I haven't adjusted mine in at least 6 months. I'm the same height, oddly enough.

What I notice is people very rarely start a reply with something sarcastic or satirical and end with an honest follow up, which would make things much more entertaining.

Originally Posted by SevenBizzos
The one thing I learn in these threads is that people adjust their mirrors a lot.

Well for example, my wife & I both drive all the cars even when we had 3-4 vehicles.
We have friends that, he only drives his car & she only hers. Neither likes to readjust the mirrors & seats. We OTOH don't mind.

Last edited:
Toyota in all its wisdom has programmed my Prius to try to avoid putting significant load on the engine in the first minute after start-up, winter or summer, while the engine warms up. That means that, unless you press hard on the accelerator, implying an emergency, it tries to use mostly battery power to drive the wheels in that minute---which can't be good for the battery. Therefore, I use the lost 60 seconds to put on seat belts, put away the sunshade, put on sunglasses, turn on lights if needed, etc., before attacking the steep uphill I have to hit almost immediately.

Yeah our Fusion Hybrid does not start the ICE until we are out of the neighborhood … so no warm up.
At least the electric drive has the mass in motion before the little 2.0 takes the hand off …

I start my vehicle and as soon as the roar of the start up is over and my seatbelt is buckled I am moving. I accelerate to whatever speed limit it is gently and let the engine and oil warm up the fastest way possible. Under load driving legaly.

I have had to let vehicles warmup but that was due to ice and snow on the windows. That was difficult to get off with the scraper and brush alone.

Originally Posted by 4WD
Yeah our Fusion Hybrid does not start the ICE until we are out of the neighborhood … so no warm up.
At least the electric drive has the mass in motion before the little 2.0 takes the hand off …
Interesting! That seems almost direct opposite of Toyota's routine, leaving the engine cold, vs. making it warm up running under no or very light load. Both strategies would take a big bite of battery charge, if you need to accelerate into traffic or climb a hill soon after start-up.

Yeah … you have to look at the dash to know it's on unless the AC fan is on really fast …
That Atkinson power curve ICE would not offer much hole shot anyway …

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back