Tesla Model 3 Owners Only - Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will be driving my 2003 X-Type from PA to FL in the next few weeks. I'm seriously considering the Model 3, but I'd have to change my ways...... AND lifestyle changes are not easy (or possible) when they are part of my employment.

I left PA this morning, drove to an airport in Northwest NJ, drove to an airport in upstate NY, and will eventually head to Atlanta via the airlines out of a NY airport. A model 3 can't do this and sit in airport parking for 2 weeks. Then make it back to upstate NY then PA.

Sure, I can wait for an hour in a poorly located charging station. But I already get home near midnight as it is.

The "negatives" of electric cars are 99% the responsibility of corporate bull feces marketing. If they would just market the cars for the applications they actually fit, there would be few "negatives" about them.

If I marketed a helicopter as the perfect grocery getter, or a Euclid earthmover as the perfect city commute, there would be a lot of "negatives" for those vehicles too.

Ultimately, an electric car is an incredible 3-season local commuter.

If your job takes you across multiple northern states in January and you live in an apartment, it completely sucks.

Well said, although the gap will continue to narrow as infrastructure builds out, charging speeds increase, and battery density increases. Only a matter of time.

Meh. Law of diminishing returns. When the horseless carriage first hit the scene, it was considered extremely environmental. No dead horses left in the streets, no feces collections, no accidental genocide from feces contamination of water supply (yes, people forget that the "organic" solution was extremely dirty), and no constant spread of animal born diseases and related pest problems.

Then as it spread out, we were forced to confront new problems. BEV is a fringe tech that is essentially a mouse crossing a stone bridge. Once society and the environment have to bear the full weight of the beast, the whole story will change.

Don't worry, by the time EVs are so big, we will have teleporting perfected. We will take all your bits, put it on the internet and will rebuild you using 3-d printer at the remote location of you choice.

You think that will not happen in next 100 years? Would you like to bet me on that scenario?

Originally Posted by Vikas
Don't worry, by the time EVs are so big, we will have teleporting perfected. We will take all your bits, put it on the internet and will rebuild you using 3-d printer at the remote location of you choice.

You think that will not happen in next 100 years? Would you like to bet me on that scenario?

It's already happening. Star Trek. Live long and prosper.

Plus, your Performance Model 3 will still be faster and waaaaaay more fun.

Nahh, I expect 0-60 under 1 second in less than a decade; P3D will be very slow by that standard.

Seriously, by the time electric vehicles become "little mouse" that the poster was referring to, a private vehicle would be as rare as private camel being used for individual transportation.

Don't know nuthin' about little mouses or camels.
Half the time I don't know what you guys are talking about, but it sure sounds cool!

Private transport can only end by putting an end to rural housing and expansion. Such will be necessary for the end of manual driving as well.

Let's not even get into a complete revolution of the evacuation protocol for natural disasters and such.

In 2006, there were large swaths of Florida without power for months. I can't imagine an all-electric, all automated, all public system would have fared well.

A lot of the future theories fail to consider a few major factors:

-Not everyone lives in a major city
-We are never ever going to force everyone to live in one
-Things don't always work out the way they are expected to
-These systems cannot work unless we force everyone to be 100% reliant on The State

Ironically, we would need the very Soviet Communist system that we destroyed in order to make the all-encompassing systems work.

From a logistical standpoint, we would have to completely defeat Murphy's Law and bridge gaps that even science fiction hasn't begun to address.

In both Stars; Wars and Trek, people still move around in refuelable transport that requires a human pilot. That's not a good sign for the future ideal of Skynet moving people from place to place entirely under its control. Teleportation is an unreliable technology distrusted by many.

In the 1950's, 2019 was supposed to be an era of us living in residential aerodromes and flying place to place. Long distance commercial transport was supposed to at Mach 6.

We'd like to think our current ambitions are not as stupid as that, but guess what?

^^^Haw, perspective is a terrible thing, eh?

The EV's currently enjoy a consumer "glow" due to their uniqueness. Expect that to fade as they become more common and the regular folks discover they have their own shortcomings. I totally agree that for the short hop commuter they are golden as long as you have a place to charge. I wonder why I keep hearing that our grid is unable to support mass ownership?

Just as said above, to each their own. I am no more under any obligation to approve/endorse your electric car than you are to do so for my RAM, Sig Car, or the various vans and pickups in my lot. Personally I dread the thought of self driving cars and have carefully avoided all the driver assistance garbage on new vehicles...

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Don't know nuthin' about little mouses or camels.
Half the time I don't know what you guys are talking about, but it sure sounds cool!

Jeff… are you seeing growth in mobile EV charging trucks ?

The proverbial mouse is the battery electric vehicle. The bridge is the electrical network and society.

When that mouse becomes a herd of elephants, there are going to be some very big cracks that are going to form in that bridge, and a very large bill to pay.

Economics killed the supersonic transport. It even killed the high-speed subsonic transport. It's even made are aircraft about as slow as aircraft were in the 1960s. In some cases slower. We're also flying some of the same aircraft that were penned in the 1960s.

In any type of romance, via technological or otherwise, a large bill is often a sobering event that tends to pop that bubble.

but again, please do not mistake this for an assassination of the electric vehicle. I still think that it is a very valid, preferred, and useful technology for a wide range of the population. That can only be disputed by the most die-hard Luddite.

It's reach simply isn't as far as some people have made it out to be.

For Jeff and the other who have purchased a battery electric vehicle, I believe that they have in fact made an informed decision with benefits both tangible and intangible. There is no naivete or ignorance in the decision to purchase a battery electric vehicle. And of course this is still the United States where a citizen is guaranteed the right to make whatever purchase they desire and justify and explain it to absolutely nobody at all.

Why did we buy a Tesla? Lotsa reasons.
Let me say, first off, I am a fiscal conservative. Real conservative.
I am a recovering alcoholic who was down and out. Needed $2 for my next 6 pack.
Well, that was 32 years ago; now thanks to A.A. CA great education, Silicon Valley opportunity and my desperation things have changed.

I drove old Hondas and Toyota pickups.
I would never thought of spending real money on a car, well except for my Corvette addiction.
Our Model 3 was like $63K out the door. That's a lot.

The car is a flat out blast to drive. Seriously.
I wanted to go green; I already purchased the solar panels.
I wanted to get something special for my wife.

At this point in my life, I am interested in doing what I want.
#1 is making sure Sue has everything she needs if I die. By the way, she has more than me.
#2 is helping family, friends and those in need. Especially with education as that saved my ....
You know what Silicon Valley houses cost. We have 3 and they are all paid for.
My stock options and investments have paid off beyond my wildest expectations.

You can buy 3 ultra low emissions Civics for 1 Tesla Mid Range; the Model 3 ain't no bargain.
It is a toy.

That's my 2 cents; your results may vary.
Here is the Model 3 disguised as a 1968 L36 Roadster...
By the way you won't find paint like this on any Porsche, etc. It is fantastic. Probably more than $20K today. Every panel was reworked or replaced.

68 Plain Jane.jpg

Last edited:
Took delivery today. Love it

I think the writing is on the wall that BEVs are the future and will be here to stay. Massive investments from all concerned parties are happening now and in the pipeline. It will take time, as all things regarding transportation changes take time, but the ball is already rolling down hill and, at this point, it is unstoppable (IMO).

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 1JZ_E46

I think the writing is on the wall that BEVs are the future and will be here to stay. Massive investments from all concerned parties are happening now and in the pipeline. It will take time, as all things regarding transportation changes take time, but the ball is already rolling down hill and, at this point, it is unstoppable (IMO).

Enjoy your beautiful Model 3!
You will love it, and just when you think you know it, bang! Another OTA update!

I am thinking about another one... Stop me!

You will love it, and just when you think you know it, bang! Another OTA update!

The car still feels surreal at this point. It's so unlike other cars out there. It just flat out works. Very utilitarian, but fast and nimble at the same time.

I'm holding out for the FSD feature to see if it's worth $6k upgrade. Did you shell out for FSD at purchase?

You are going to have a VERY HARD TIME convincing most on here of that. I mean C'mon-the Crown Vic is revered......

BEVs have been the future for the past fifty years or so, just as they were considered state of the art in the early days of the automobile.
The future in which they're widely adopted once again seems to keep receding.
One now sees a pretty regular number of Tesla cars on the road even here in flyover country, but one sees a pretty regular number of smarts as well.
Tesla appears to have hit the wall on sales volume so it may be all bad from here.
I can understand the enthusiasm among those who've bought one, but this appears to be the taste of no more than a small fraction of those in the market for a car ATM.
I'll add that I've never bought a new car that didn't seem wonderful and we've bought a number of them over the years.

Something random...stopped to get diesel fuel in Baker, CA (while heading North on the 15) at a Shell station and next to it was a huge 6 lane or so Telsa charging station. 2 or 3 were hooked up...how long does it take to charge? Great thread...sorry to intrude.

The car still feels surreal at this point. It's so unlike other cars out there. It just flat out works. Very utilitarian, but fast and nimble at the same time.

I'm holding out for the FSD feature to see if it's worth $6k upgrade. Did you shell out for FSD at purchase?

Yes, we have the FSD.
The Model 3 is amazing. The interior is kinda Japanese; minimalist, genius.

Did you know Q2 is expected to be a record for deliveries?
Fremont is hiring like crazy; they can't make 'em fast enough.

We stopped in Menlo Park for coffee last Saturday; more Super Chargers being installed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back