how is Motorcraft Syn blend

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fine oil but overpriced for what you get. Run Phillips's Shield syn blend, probably the same exact stuff in a different bottle but way better price! Same manufacturer. In this part of the country, farm and ranch stores stockpile the stuff in 12qt cases and they usually go for about $30, not bad for 12 quarts of quality syn blend. Probably because there's numerous ConocoPhillips refineries in the state maybe?

Originally Posted by dave1251
If you watched Ford's testing you will notice the testing and engineering the engine is meant to last well beyond the warranty period. I have no idea how this bunk narrative was started here.

Did you watch the testing? Where did you see this phenomenon at? Even if you were there did they test the other half million 5.0 coyotes going out the door in 2018? Every other one is having to be replaced, how can that happen with proper testing? But at least they arent catching fire i suppose....

Originally Posted by PimTac
Originally Posted by kstanf150
I'm a die hard Ford guy
I don't use MC oil
Better oil out there for same or less money

I'm sure you know that the only thing that's Ford regarding Motorcraft is the Ford logo on the label.

Figured that out back when oil was in paper cans ðŸ‘

My Taurus has currently got Motorcraft 5-20 in it from when I purchased it. Runs fine, but, going to try Pennzoil Platinum in it next oil change. My Explorer seems to run smoother and quieter on the PP. Plus, it's only an extra few $$$ for a better product.

Originally Posted by GaryPoe
the engine is meant to last well beyond the warranty period..

Every other one is having to be replaced....

cheers3.gif

If you watched Ford's testing you will notice the testing and engineering the engine is meant to last well beyond the warranty period. I have no idea how this bunk narrative was started here.

Did you watch the testing? Where did you see this phenomenon at? Even if you were there did they test the other half million 5.0 coyotes going out the door in 2018? Every other one is having to be replaced, how can that happen with proper testing? But at least they arent catching fire i suppose....

Every other one is not being replaced it's that simple Ford would have to go belly up tonight if this were true and it would be on the local news as the pileups would kill people by the hundreds. It's amazing give people the access to the internet and the ability to analyze and critical think to an answer drops. This should not be the case with the ease of information available in near instantaneous time.

All this ease of information allowed the hyperbole crowd to yell louder.

As I recall this oil used to be one of the unsung heroes on this site....... I can't help but wonder why it dropped from favor.

Originally Posted by RTexasF
As I recall this oil used to be one of the unsung heroes on this site....... I can't help but wonder why it dropped from favor.

It was because of marketing and it's relatively cost effective price why it gained favor. Members saw "synthetic blend" and thought it was superior. Most people did not notice blending in group III from South Korea was cost effective way for Phillips to meet spec not blend a superior product.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Based on a collection of UOAs on one of the Mustang boards (I've posted that data a few times), the Motorcraft synthetic blend looked to shear down quite a bit, at least in the Ford modular engine with lots of cam chains.

ZeeOSix Excellent point on the Ford modular engine with lots of cam chains. I have one (2010 Mountaineer 4.0) 72,000 miles and use QSUD 5W30. No issues Yet.

In today's market, with pricing and quality being the factors, there are less expensive oils and better oils.

You can get synthetic blend oil, about the same quality, for a less money. You can get full synthetic oil, for less money.

I suspect that most of this brand's sales are to brand loyalist at the retail level. And a bulk of distribution is to Ford dealerships. Unless you believe that everything with Ford on the label is the best; you would probably buy a synthetic blend which cost less, or a full synthetic which could also cost less. Aside from Ford dealerships, how many other shops would choose this brand?

You can find Kendal or Trop Artic for less money. No reason to pay more for the Motorcraft name.
Better-yet, produce your own blend. Buy a five quart jug of synthetic - then another of conventional. Pick a name brand and do your own Frankenstein concoction.

I've done this for many decades. Works just as well as Motorcraft's concoctions.

Every other one is not being replaced it's that simple Ford would have to go belly up tonight if this were true and it would be on the local news as the pileups would kill people by the hundreds. It's amazing give people the access to the internet and the ability to analyze and critical think to an answer drops. This should not be the case with the ease of information available in near instantaneous time.

All this ease of information allowed the hyperbole crowd to yell louder.

If its not the engine tick people are raving about, its the oil consumption. Many are consuming oil and many upon many drivers are blatantly unaware its happening. Then there are many that are consuming oil but its not the required amount required for the tsb from ford to have fixed under warranty. On top of this, there are transmission issues with the new 10 speeds.
And its not only the F150 with the engine issues, this also pertains to the mustang with the 5.0 as well.
I called my local Ford dealer to get a quote to change transmission fluid and they said I would be on a 2 month waiting list because they are that backed up from all of this.
Also, everything I just stated is not causing "pileups" nor killing people by the hundreds...

Gary
A Quik Lube place I went to recently has a new machine for transmission fluid replacement. You can watch them do it to your vehicle. No need on paying double-the-amount at a dealer.

What's cool about this machine are the clear tubings where you can watch the old almost black fluid being evacuated and the new red fluid in the clear tubing being installed, in a transfer fashion. You sit there and watch as the tubing slowly goes from almost black to deep red.

Save yourself some money and seek a place with these-type machines. Then watch the transmission fluid service for yourself.
There's no filter change with these. Not sure how important that is to you. The first time I had the service done was a filter change at 110K. That filter still looked relatively good and serviceable still. So I now will do filter changes every 120K and fluid changes every 60K.

Last edited:
Yeah, no quick lube is touching my transmission ever. I had the tranny fluid replaced in my son 04 Taurus for $150 at the local ford garage and was fine with that price. I avoid the dealer at all cost, but not when it comes to transmissions.

Originally Posted by D1dad
Yeah, no quick lube is touching my transmission ever. I had the tranny fluid replaced in my son 04 Taurus for $150 at the local ford garage and was fine with that price. I avoid the dealer at all cost, but not when it comes to transmissions.

Agree 100%

My nissans have had drain plugs which I will drain them cold and replace with exactly the same amount with no harm. If the dealer drops the pan though the level of the fluid is set with a laptop. Not sure how but I know I won't drop a pan on anything but my 2000 f250 anymore. I had a local reputable shop do an exchange on my wife Routan and it was inadvertently overfilled and blew the seal out at the torque converter because they replaced exactly the same amount of warm fluid with cold and then boom. Dealers are good for situations like that versus saving a few bucks.

Originally Posted by D1dad

Dealerships make the same mistakes and likely just as often. A $12 a hour guy off the street is doing this for the dealership just like the quick lube place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back