Alkaline batteries leaking

Seems like they are leaking sooner than before. Duracell so far the worst for me. Fakes? Had an Energizer ruin a cheap flashlight and always wanted to try that warranty on the back. Called them and they wanted the date and there was not one. Chinese.....

My experience is just the opposite the Duracell have been great in everything I have used them on that sees less than daily use and is in there for a long time.

Originally Posted by LotI
I've switched to Eneloops in pretty much everything. They have a power curve like lithium's and don't leak.

Don't get me started on Kirkland Signature from Costco...ruined many devices.

Some devices wont handle the low 1.2v of rechargable batteries. One measuring tool for example specs no rechargeable batteries for this reason.

Originally Posted by Trav
I've switched to Eneloops in pretty much everything. They have a power curve like lithium's and don't leak.

Some devices wont handle the low 1.2v of rechargable batteries. One measuring tool for example specs no rechargeable batteries for this reason.

I have looked closely at the packing, cases, etc- and from what I can tell Duracell and Kirland batteries come out of the same factory.

Duracell is the best marketed battery in the USA..... It is far from the best manufactured alkaline battery.

I've seen plenty of leaked Duracells in my life, more than any other brand.

I've had good luck with Rayovac in the past, but now that Energizer acquired them, I don't know what that means for their quality.

Those devices are good candidates for Lithiums usually.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
I've seen plenty of leaked Duracells in my life, more than any other brand.

I've had good luck with Rayovac in the past, but now that Energizer acquired them, I don't know what that means for their quality.

I wonder about that as well. I've also experienced leakage with Duracell batteries in the past number of years. They never used to do that.

Originally Posted by PimTac
I wonder about that as well. I've also experienced leakage with Duracell batteries in the past number of years. They never used to do that.

I've noticed this as well. Definitely noticed that the design of the battery ends have changed seems like the seals aren't holding up well enough.

I've moved away from alkaline batteries too. Again, bad experiences with leaky Duracell. For those things I use infrequently or with low drain, such as tone generators, multimeters, obd2 scanners, smoke detectors, stud finders etc. I've gone to lithium.

For those things that see more use with higher drain like flashlights, kids game controllers, I've gone to nimh rechargeables.

I do have alkaline still around, they're usually put into cheap devices that I'm not terribly upset if they've leaked. I.e. infrequent use kids toys.

Last edited:
I've only had leaks in AA in Duracell and Costco. No leaks so far in AAA Costco,Duracell), C, D or 9V (Duracell). All our AA batteries are Eneloops or Tenergy.

Originally Posted by GON

I have looked closely at the packing, cases, etc- and from what I can tell Duracell and Kirland batteries come out of the same factory.

Duracell is the best marketed battery in the USA..... It is far from the best manufactured alkaline battery.

I didn't say it was but having used hundreds without a leak over many years it seems I am alone in this thread.

Over the past decade or so, I've only had two instances of leaking alkaline batteries - both cases were duracell AA. In the devices where I've used alkalines, I've mostly used either Rayovac (cheap after rebate at Menard's) or the no-name Chinese batteries that were included originally - yet only the duracells have been prone to leaking.

It is remarkable how often I've had Duracells leak for being a major brand. They are the most prone to leaking that I've encountered though being so popular may account for how often I see that.

I won't use them, and I won't knowingly purchase anything that won't run on the nominal 1.2V of NiMH rechargeables.

Get devices that work with LSD NiMH and Eneloop, or Fujitsu (same thing under the new factory owner's label) LSD NiMH batteries and a good smart charger, or the best budget option (here in the US if/when discounted on Amazon) are Tenergy Centura LSD (aka precharged) which also offers C and True D cell capacity, sizes. They are not equal to the Fujitsu Eneloops but close enough to make a fair compromise and great value.

Last edited:
Duracell is in the toilet these days. They are called Duraleaks for a reason.

I have hundreds of electronic items in my house that takes batteries. From dozens of kids toys, to dozens of remotes, to a hundred or more flashlights in my flashlight collection (ahem), I learned years ago that Duracell is the absolute worst battery on the market. Ive had Duraleaks ruin several items. I flat out refuse to buy them. I have used hundreds of the Amazon basics brand alkaline batteries and not one of them has leaked. They are good quality and affordable.

I also buy and use Energizer lithium batteries for the more expensive or mission critical devices. The $100 plus dollar flashlights, the expensive red dots sights, etc.

And the Eneloop rechargeables are obviously the gold standard battery for a reason. Very good batteries, that don't leak, and can be recharged hundreds/thousands of times. Yes, they are 1.2V instead of 1.5V, so some items dont work with them, but you will find that the vast majority of items work just fine with them.

To reiterate, Rayovac is no longer. They were bought out by Eveready Energizer.

Has Energizer confirmed they're killing off the Rayovac brand? I thought they were going to keep it as an economy brand alongside Energizer (premium brand).

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
To reiterate, Rayovac is no longer. They were bought out by Eveready Energizer.

Has Energizer confirmed they're killing off the Rayovac brand? I thought they were going to keep it as an economy brand alongside Energizer (premium brand).

That I don't know.

I also have gone to rechargeable nimh, but the self discharge rate (unlike lipo) is too high for seldom used items. You know-exactly the kind of items you want to leave a battery in knowing it won't leak. When you need it, they are half dead. If we had options to use 18550's (Lithium) in everyday things that would be awesome. One = 3.7-4.2 volts instead of 2 aa's. These are in good quality tools nowadays. Samsung and others 3000 mah.

Back