Too much oil in my engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I own a 2015 Grand Cherokee 5.7 HEMI with now 26'000 km.

This car never used a single drop of oil between oil changes, it was always at max level until the next few weeks.

During the last 2 weeks, I did a trip from Switzerland to Spain.

Arrived in Spain (after about 2'000 km), I checked my oil level 5 minutes after turning the engine off (as stated in the user guide), on a level surface, and the oil was almost in the "low" mark on the dipstick...

For be sure, I did wait the next afternoon and checked with cold engine: same... So I added oil, about 0,5 quart for be exactly in the "max"

Then, I continued my trip and drove about 1'700 km more before checking oil again and... Again it was on low... I checked with engine hot, 5 minutes after turning it off, and engine cold, same result, it was low...

This time, I had to add about 0,8 quart for be at max again (so since the start I added 1,3 quart).

I drove 900 km until my next destination in Spain and checked the oil level again: this time it was still on max, so all eas good...

I drove 1'200 km back to home and checked again: this time, oil was upper than max (see picture attached)! Since, I checked many times, engine hot or not, and still the same result: oil overfilled

I'm a bit worried having the oil level higher than max... It means I can have up to 1,3 quart oil excess... What should I do? Is it safe to drive like this? And why did the level suddenly increase?

I checked the oil pressure on my cluster instrument display and it never go higher than 492 kpa (so it's not even the half of the gauge) even during a big acceleration, so the oil pressure doesn't seem too high because of this oil overfill. But i'm still worried...

IMG-20190531-203503.jpg

You're probably ok. I would'nt drive with it like that for much longer though. Either just change the oil or consider draining some out. You could just remove the filter and reinstall, that will get some of the overfill out. When I over filled once I just unscrewed the drain plug out a tad to let it trickle out until I was at the desired level.

I think you should get some drained/syphoned out.
That difference on the dipstick would have me feeling uncomfortable too.

When checking the oil, I ALWAYS insist on doing it on a stone cold engine, first thing in the morning.
Also ensure the surface the car is parked on, is as flat as possible.
Ensuring these two are followed, will always lead to a reading that's as accurate as possible.

Originally Posted by Brojo
You're probably ok. I would'nt drive with it like that for much longer though. Either just change the oil or consider draining some out. You could just remove the filter and reinstall, that will get some of the overfill out. When I over filled once I just unscrewed the drain plug out a tad to let it trickle out until I was at the desired level.

I agree just loosen the filter and let and let a quart drain out and then reinstall no harm done.

Originally Posted by Lolvoguy
I think you should get some drained/syphoned out.
That difference on the dipstick would have me feeling uncomfortable too.

When checking the oil, I ALWAYS insist on doing it on a stone cold engine, first thing in the morning.
Also ensure the surface the car is parked on, is as flat as possible.
Ensuring these two are followed, will always lead to a reading that's as accurate as possible.

FYI - checking the oil level when the engine is cold and/or has been sitting for a while is the opposite of how the OM specifies to do it...at least it is on the OP's vehicle...and mine, and most other FCA products I suspect.

You could just remove the filter and reinstall

No! If removing the filter is your preferred method to get some oil out, put a new filter on it. Why would you risk seal failure to save $5-6? In my cars, your current oil level is about a cup worth of oil. It's harmless, unless like someone said above there are bubbles or anything on your dipstick when you check it.

Puzzling that it was low and now reading high. Only thing I can think of is that it must have been at different angles when checking?
21.gif

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo

No! If removing the filter is your preferred method to get some oil out, put a new filter on it. Why would you risk seal failure to save $5-6? In my cars, your current oil level is about a cup worth of oil. It's harmless, unless like someone said above there are bubbles or anything on your dipstick when you check it.

Yeah, don't remove and reinstall the filter. (plenty of threads here on that)

If you're going to drain, either go through the drain plug or siphon from the fill tube.

Originally Posted by JLTD
Puzzling that it was low and now reading high. Only thing I can think of is that it must have been at different angles when checking?
21.gif

But the OP said he was careful to check it on a flat surface. I guess "how flat" is a legitimate follow up question but you'd think that would have to be a pretty noticable grade to go from "Max"+ to "Low" on the dipstick. Is it possible a clog is trapping oil and then it slowly drains overnight? Seems like a bizarre notion but who knows... weird.

Originally Posted by Hitman70
I checked the oil pressure on my cluster instrument display and it never go higher than 492 kpa (so it's not even the half of the gauge) even during a big acceleration, so the oil pressure doesn't seem too high because of this oil overfill. But i'm still worried...

The oil level has nothing to do with oil pressure, unless there's no oil in the sump, then the oil pressure is zero and the engine gets destroyed.

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo

Why change the filter? You may put on a defective one on. This is about as likely to happen as removing and replacing the same filter.

Engine Oil
Checking Oil Level
To assure proper lubrication of your vehicle's engine, theengine oil must be maintained at the correct level. Checkthe oil level at regular intervals, such as every fuel stop.The best time to check the engine oil level is about fiveminutes after a fully warmed up engine is shut off.Checking the oil while the vehicle is on level ground willimprove the accuracy of the oil level readings. Alwaysmaintain the oil level within the SAFE zone on thedipstick. Adding one quart of oil when the reading is atthe bottom of the SAFE zone will result in a reading at thetop of the safe zone on these engines.

is the proper Jeep Procedure. I would probably drain some.. park vehicle on ramp or a couple boards for clearance.. loosen drain plug drain aprox 1 liter out.

The easy slow way is to just put on a disposible glove and loosen the drain plug but hold it so it doesnt shoot out.

Then tighten the drain plug.

If you dont have tools get an oil change or pay someone to drain or suck it out with oil extractor.

I double check the oil level all the time. For some reason if I park one place it is overfilled but another it is full. I have checked after filling up if level oil level is on full. This is the only vehicle that I have owned where oil level is hard to get an actual level. Since it takes 6 quarts I don't immediately worry about the dipstick showing 1 quart low until I verify with multiple readings in multiple locations.

Unless you're seeing evidence of oil foaming, I wouldn't worry about the sump being a quart overfilled on a V8 truck/SUV engine. Feel free to drain a little oil out if it helps you sleep better at night.

OP: This is one situation where a Fumoto Quick Valve can save the day. It is why I have one on all the cars I own making oil changes very quick and relatively painless.

https://www.fumotooildrainvalve.com...bIYbmhbo52KYndlqpdf5QRa226oaAtgzEALw_wcB

If you have one of these, just drain a little out at a time until the level is correct. I'd not leave it high for very long as I'd be very concerned about oil foaming up, windage, etc.

Last edited:
Here is one for you guys:
Guy takes 3.6L Pentastar to shop for oil change. They dumped in 6 fresh quarts and never drained it.
They started the engine … What happened to that engine ?

Originally Posted by 4WD
Here is one for you guys:
Guy takes 3.6L Pentastar to shop for oil change. They dumped in 6 fresh quarts and never drained it.
They started the engine … What happened to that engine ?

The engine got twice as clean???

I'll bite......what happened?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back