Time to replace or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Background: Son's 10 Avalanche 105k. Bridgestone Alenzas put on in 2015 by dealership. Still good tread on all tires, and even wear.

Problem: 3/4 tires lose 10-15 lbs of pressure every two weeks and causes the TPSM to respond. Fill up and wait for next time

Question: Should these get replaced this summer?

I'd see what the tire dealer said. Could be leaking around the wheel rims. My Daughter's car started doing the same thing but only with 1 of her tires.
They broke the seal, cleaned it and put some sticky stuff around the rim and it stopped the leak.

Soapy water works good on the rims. You could see the tiny tiny bubbles coming from around the rim.

You could get some spit on the valve stems and see if it bubbles.

Those tires are at least 9yo, regardless of tread I'd replace them, the whole tire maybe unsound due to rubber degradation.
If you want to keep them have a good tireshop give you an evaluation.

What kind of rims does he have? It's not uncommon to have a slow leak develop due to corrosion at the bead.

How much longer in term of time(not tread) do you/he think there is remaining?
If your son can deal with filling the tires every 2 week, leave'em til new tires are needed.

Originally Posted by Pelican
Those tires are at least 9yo, regardless of tread I'd replace them, the whole tire maybe unsound due to rubber degradation.

Best case scenario is that he is flat on the side of the road. Worst case scenario is that the tire blows on the freeway, and his truck flips over.

Look at the production date code on the tire. How old are they really? You had them for 9 years. How many years did the tire sit in a warehouse before it went on the truck.

Originally Posted by AandPDan
What kind of rims does he have? It's not uncommon to have a slow leak develop due to corrosion at the bead.

Originally Posted by Gebo
Could be leaking around the wheel rims. My Daughter's car started doing the same thing but only with 1 of her tires.
They broke the seal, cleaned it and put some sticky stuff around the rim and it stopped the leak.

Bead seal leaks can also mean that the wheel is damaged, and that's why it's not sealing properly.

Originally Posted by Gebo
You could get some spit on the valve stems and see if it bubbles.

You could also use a tub of water to see if air bubbles are coming out. You could also use a spray bottle with soapy water. But don't lick the valve stem to coat it with your saliva.

Originally Posted by Speak2Mountain
Bridgestone Alenzas put on in 2015 by dealership.

Those tires are at least 9yo, regardless of tread I'd replace them

Originally Posted by DoubleNickels
You had them for 9 years.

9 years old ???

Originally Posted by CELICA_XX
Originally Posted by Speak2Mountain
Bridgestone Alenzas put on in 2015 by dealership.

Those tires are at least 9yo, regardless of tread I'd replace them

Originally Posted by DoubleNickels
You had them for 9 years.

9 years old ???

LOL the new math!

I'd probably life with it until next fall, then ask the tire shop to clean the wheels and use goo if needed

I would suggest pulling a tire or 2 just to soap'em up to see where they're leaking from. Who knows, they may in fact have nails in them that you & son are not aware of. You didn't mention if you or son had checked for nails. Or is there rim/bead leaks or valve stem leaks.

Difficult to say however, if it was my personal vehicle, I may just put up with airing them up every 2 wks since I have a compressor in the garage. But this remains to be seen since I'm not in this situation either.
smile.gif

If in my particular case, it was my daughter's car(living away from home) then, I'd most likely suggest new tires and sell off the old tire. Instead of messing around and e.g., paying for the tires to be dismounted, valve stems replaced and bead cleaned & sealed, I'd just suggest new tires and sell off the old ones.

9 year old rims with bead leaks down south? I'm dubious. By all means check, but I'm guessing on a valve stem leak. I don't know what kind of TPMS sensor is used but if there is an o-ring in them that should have been replaced at tire change time, I wonder if it didn't get changed.

I wonder the worst case of just having them dismounted and remounted would cost (balanced too of course). I mean, a tire shop does that all the time, just have them do that and get the sensors resealed, and bead sealant if they think it necessary. One and done sort of shotgun repair. I'm thinking that's what, $150 or so, worst case? Maybe less?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back