Vortec 5.3 Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Speak2Mountain
Have there been any problems w/the 5.3 and carbon build up on the pistons/rings in the last 10 model years?

Think the DI started on the L83 (2014?) but it's also said AFM was improved by this generation …

I think you'll find some newer generation owners running oil catch cans to prevent some of the concerns with carbon buildup, but as far as it actually being a huge problem...I'd say not really. Not to the extent of earlier direct inject BMW and Audi engines, etc.

I've seen photos of these engines with over 100,000 miles and the valves don't look that bad...not perfect, but not terrible either.

I own one, I use a catch can, it does catch a lot of oil...is it actually helping? Probably. I'd like to remove my intake and take a look...some day I probably will.

Of five people I know, including myself, only mine and my dad's haven't been to the dealer. My brother got an entire engine, my friend got all new rods and pistons and another guy sold his when it became troublesome.
My dad and I have catch cans and the AFM locked out. My truck has 170,000 miles on it. Not sure how many pop's has. NOW my brother has a catch can and an AFM blocker. My buddy who got the new pistons doesn't listen and just drives his as is.

Probably not a direct answer to the question but 07+ models with dod cylinder deactivation tend to have more wear and usually end with a lifter exploding under 200k miles but can be avoided with devices that lock out the dod such as custom tuning. Amazon sells a box that plugs in to shut this off which doesnt void warranties. Also the 2014+ with direct injection would benefit from a catch can. 30wt oil can be used if dod is shut off.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by NYEngineer
Of five people I know, including myself, only mine and my dad's haven't been to the dealer. My brother got an entire engine, my friend got all new rods and pistons and another guy sold his when it became troublesome.
My dad and I have catch cans and the AFM locked out. My truck has 170,000 miles on it. Not sure how many pop's has. NOW my brother has a catch can and an AFM blocker. My buddy who got the new pistons doesn't listen and just drives his as is.

I really think it's hit or miss, I know several people with the AFM or DOD and when ask them if they've had any issues with it the first thing they say is...what are you talking about? Are you talking about that V8/V4 thingy? No I don't even notice it, I guess it switches into 4 cylinders or something.

I'm amazed because all I hear about is bad things, yet I've only seen one fail...and the guy beat the snot out of it and never changed the oil. Personally I'm hoping I can go 200,000 miles before I have any problems.
I figure...I change my oil every 5,000, I don't beat on it, I don't use it as a work truck...we'll see

Originally Posted by Railrust
I think you'll find some newer generation owners running oil catch cans to prevent some of the concerns with carbon buildup, but as far as it actually being a huge problem...I'd say not really. Not to the extent of earlier direct inject BMW and Audi engines, etc.

I've seen photos of these engines with over 100,000 miles and the valves don't look that bad...not perfect, but not terrible either.

I own one, I use a catch can, it does catch a lot of oil...is it actually helping? Probably. I'd like to remove my intake and take a look...some day I probably will.

CBU issues on those manufacturers are present in forced induction engines. Naturally aspirated are OK. VW/Audi had issue in NA engine in first DI models with excessive duel dilution and some CBU.
As long as engines are NA, it seems that CBU is not as big problems as on forced induction engines.

Originally Posted by addyguy
AFM problems seem to cause accelerated cylinder wear and increased oil consumption.

My Cylinder Bore Gauge disagrees with you; I've checked several AFM equipped LSx engines & haven't found any bore distortion or taper........Stuck rings cause the oil burning.

Are you trying to figure out why the 5.3 w/AFM consumes a fair amount of oil? There are a few reasons why it's common.

I'm gonna chide with CLinebarger. Big time.
I have checked and taken in to the best machine shop any where near here 5 ls blocks of all bores except a 5.7.
56,000 to 140,000 Miles. Every single one of them so far has undetectable taper, out of round and top of bore. The ls platform is somewhat new to these dudes and they are impressed. I asked the lead man why these bores dont hardly wear and all he could say was fuel injection #1... it's not living it's life with fuel washed cylinder walls and the liners are..... I can't remember what alloy he said which is supposedly super wear resistant material. Is it nicasil?
Any ways these liners are not at all like gen 1-2 stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back