My first 9mm choice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hiya folks!

After getting my first pistol, a Ruger SR22, in January of this year and learning how to use it, breaking it down and all the safety rules, I finally feel comfortable enough to upgrade to a 9mm. I just purchased a Smith & Wesson M&P 9 M2.0 with 4.25" barrel. This is where I bought it from.

I'll be picking it up this coming Tuesday and I'm so excited. It felt good in my hands, very light weight and it's the same size as my SR22. And for the price tag of $349.99 with no tax and free shipping, I couldn't say no.

Ruger makes great guns as does Smith & Wesson. I especially like their revolvers but have a LC9+ for a small carry gun with decent power.

Originally Posted by Eosyn
Hiya folks!

After getting my first pistol, a Ruger SR22, in January of this year and learning how to use it, breaking it down and all the safety rules, I finally feel comfortable enough to upgrade to a 9mm. I just purchased a Smith & Wesson M&P 9 M2.0 with 4.25" barrel. This is where I bought it from.

I'll be picking it up this coming Tuesday and I'm so excited. It felt good in my hands, very light weight and it's the same size as my SR22. And for the price tag of $349.99 with no tax and free shipping, I couldn't say no.

Do you have any questions about it? If not, then some here might say you made a mistake and should have bought something else.
You made a good choice BTW. Now you need a little 380 that fits in your front pocket. LCP and Pico are what we have. My wife also has a little Keltec .32 pistol. That one can fit in my breast pocket.

A did exactly the same as you about 3-4 years ago.

SR22 pistol was my first pistol and at the range. Learned to take it apart and do anything i needed with it.

I then bought a SR9c, great mixture because it was compact enough to carry with 10rounds and it came with a 17 extended mag to make it closer to a full size. If they didn't have that i might have gone with a glock 17/19.

After having that for a little while, M&P had that rebate on the shields that made them dirt cheap. So like you, it was a no brainer grabbing a Sheild to carry.

I'm happy with all 3, still take all 3 to the range and have a blast. I dont see the need to go up to a 40 or a 45. I shot the 45ACP and i'm not at fan.

Either way, i think you made a very logical buy and you are doing it the right way.

Sounds like a fantastic concealed carry piece!

Someday when you want to make "just one ragged hole" in a paper target, think about getting a CZ-75. I think you will really like it.

Originally Posted by spk2000
Ruger makes great guns as does Smith & Wesson. I especially like their revolvers but have a LC9+ for a small carry gun with decent power.

Several years I really wanted to love my LC9. Before I carry a pistol it needs 1000 (preferably several thousand) rounds through it..never made it. It would stovepipe or fail to eject every 3 or 400. It would often fail when you limp wristed it. Got rid of it.

Good choice. I think I may have recommended that pistol to some folks on this forum in the past. I own that exact same pistol. Its a very nice pistol, at a very nice price. Assuming its going in the nightstand and/or will be used for home defense, you absolutely have to have a bright flashlight to go along with it.

Look at these lights from Streamlight.
TLR-1HL
TLR-2HL
TLR-7
TLR-8
TLR-3 (junk garbage, do not buy)
TLR-4 (junk garbage, do not buy)

To the "average" person, they may balk at the idea of paying $100 or more for "just a flashlight", but its not "just a flashlight". Its a life saving tool, of high quality, that you can be proud to own and keep on your pistol for the next 25 years (seriously). Its a one time expense, and should not be cheaped out on.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Do you have any questions about it? If not, then some here might say you made a mistake and should have bought something else.

What does this even mean?

Originally Posted by Bottom_Feeder

Lots of people jump on the " Well, you *should* have bought a ....... instead" bandwagon.

Originally Posted by Al
Before I carry a pistol it needs 1000 (preferably several thousand) rounds through it.. it never made it.

Excellent advice.

A pistol that won't save your life when you need it the most is just an expensive paperweight.

Thanks, everyone, for your comments. I will post pics in this thread when it is in my possession. Bubba, were the sights accurate right out of the box or did it need adjusting?

It is for home defense and I do plan on putting a flashlight on the picatinny rail, but had no idea it would cost in the thousands! Haven't researched those yet. I wanted the 5" barrel but it's not available in black so I opted for the 4.25" one. I figure, if I decide to conceal carry in the future, this pistol will allow me to do that without much issue, so. . .two birds with one stone kinda thing.

EDIT: Ooops, my apologies Bubba, your comment read $100 for the flashlight, not thousands like I first thought. $100 I can do. LOL.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Bottom_Feeder

I don't know today. Why didn't you ask me this earlier? I think I knew the answer before you posted the question.
31.gif

Maybe I fell and hit my head in my sleep overnight. That's probably why I can't answer your question this morning.

Try feeding off the top, instead of the bottom next time. Then you won't respond more confused than I.

Only a well trained person should consider a rail mounted light unless its infrared. Do you want to be a light house. Best to have some low lights outside bedroom doof

Originally Posted by Al
Only a well trained person should consider a rail mounted light unless its infrared. Do you want to be a light house. Best to have some low lights outside bedroom doof

I do plan on becoming a well-trained shooter. The idea of adding or modifying the pistol is for the future, after I have plenty of experience with it first. and why am I a doof?

Triple_Se7en, you really confuse me
lol.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Al

Incorrect. EVERYONE, and that's EVERYONE exclamation point, that uses weapons for home defense, should absolutely mount some sort of white light to it if possible. Older guns and revolvers this might not be possible, but most modern style guns have numerous ways to mount a flashlight onto them.

The reason you want a light on your gun, is because it is always better to have it, and not need it, than need it, and not have it. Just because you have a flashlight on your gun, doesn't mean you have to use it. But when you need it, you REALLY need it, like RIGHT now. Maybe you plan to depend on your light switches or night lights? Bad guys have never been known to flip the breaker right? Maybe you plan to use a hand held flashlight? Those never disappear, right? Kids use them, dont return them. Cat knocks it off the nightstand to the floor, the wife uses it and forgets to return it. A light that is physically bolted to your gun cannot be misplaced, unless you also misplace your pistol (not very lightly)

I have been in life and death night time situations and my flashlight dropped and broke. To say that it absolutely sucked to be fighting for your life and not be able to see would be an understatement.

There are flashlight techniques that need to be learned for sure. You don't just turn on the light and march around the house making yourself a target and giving away your position.

It would also be a good idea to have a nice hand held light next to your pistol/weapon light. You can use the hand held light for administrative task, such as looking under the bed for a dropped tv remote. Or you could use teh hand held as your primary tactical flashlight, and just keep the weapon light mounted as a backup light, in case the hand held breaks or drops or you cant find it.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=how+to+use+weapon+light

Originally Posted by bubbatime
Originally Posted by Al

Incorrect. EVERYONE, and that's EVERYONE exclamation point, that uses weapons for home defense, should absolutely mount some sort of white light to it if possible. Older guns and revolvers this might not be possible, but most modern style guns have numerous ways to mount a flashlight onto them.

You completely missed my Point:"Only a well trained person should conside[T...../b]
The advice you gave COULD GET A PERSON THAT ATTEMPTS TO SHOOT AN INTRUDER WHEN HE/SHE HIMSELF IS IN A DARK AREA KILLED.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back