Recent Topics
I made a dually today. Carftsman LT1000
by ls1mike - 05/30/20 10:39 PM
New Prestone Products
by Snagglefoot - 05/30/20 09:17 PM
BEST OBD2 scanner for UNDER $100
by flinter - 05/30/20 08:44 PM
Oil Drain vs Extraction
by js1956 - 05/30/20 08:08 PM
Toro SR Won't Stop Running
by jkasch - 05/30/20 08:05 PM
Lexus RX350 Oil Filter Housing Question (with pic)
by CrackyWainwright - 05/30/20 07:57 PM
Oil Filter and Coolant Question
by maverickfhs - 05/30/20 07:33 PM
Second change on rebuilt LS
by KirklanC - 05/30/20 07:05 PM
Certified Used Toyota; 8 miles.
by simple_gifts - 05/30/20 05:47 PM
Motul Specific LL01-FE 5w-30 for BMW S55
by sharpmoney - 05/30/20 04:36 PM
Thinking of Buying Compressor
by Mr_Luke - 05/30/20 04:16 PM
Fiat 500 transmission fluid type
by oddrodtodd - 05/30/20 03:53 PM
Help with Riding Mower for Small Yard
by YardWork - 05/30/20 03:51 PM
The ole’ robin egg passed
by 53' Stude - 05/30/20 03:33 PM
Left OR Right?
by MolaKule - 05/30/20 01:46 PM
Space X launch
by MrQuackers - 05/30/20 01:33 PM
Newest Members
juca, jrow96, Kotsos, sharpmoney, Dermented
71581 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
64 registered members (addyguy, Atrocious, 77GrandPrix, antonmnster, 2010Civic, 928, 5 invisible), 1,897 guests, and 31 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums67
Topics306,067
Posts5,285,858
Members71,581
Most Online4,538
Jan 20th, 2020
Donate to BITOG
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 4 5 6
Re: Hemi 5w20 choice [Re: NissanHauler] #5122238 06/01/19 12:29 PM
Joined: Jun 2016
Posts: 4,672
O
oil_film_movies Offline
Offline
O
Joined: Jun 2016
Posts: 4,672
Given the usage, cold starts with high speed driving, I'd say one-up the Owner's Manual recommendation of 5w20 and go with Mobil1 AFE 0w30 as some others have recommended here. A full syn, which is better than the minimum swill Chrysler wants, & it splits the difference between 5w20 and the SRT version's 0w40, also will protect the engine for a full standard oil change interval. Cheap at walmart too.
That there is called "optimal choice".

Re: Hemi 5w20 choice [Re: burla] #5122377 06/01/19 02:59 PM
Joined: Aug 2016
Posts: 89
N
NissanHauler Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Joined: Aug 2016
Posts: 89
Originally Posted by burla
Originally Posted by Danno
Just curious why folks here recommend oils that don't have manufacturer required certs for engines still in warranty?


Misguided is why, if you are going to run a non spec oil, mise well make it a non spec weight instead and get something out of it. 20 weights are extremely stable, hardly matters one brand to the next, but if you move to 5w30 there are incredible differences from brand to brand, and more over better film strength at the same time still using a thin oil = good idea for engine having issues like cams and lifters imo. Look for high additives oils with pao base oils is a good idea imo, also go away from the fca running 20 weight in a 390hp v8. The hemi is a dinosuar engine, it is not the modern stuff that thrives with lower weight oils, think hearty slightly heavier oils is a good strategy. That is what FCA did with the other non mds hemi's, run srt high moly 40 weight GtL base oil made in cooperation between FCA and Pennzoil. We also have guys running that in the mds engine 0w40 PUP, many guys on the board's second choice.

Looking at the Castrol Edge in 5w30, WiX filter since I cant find a Fram Ultra that's listed for my dodge lol. Am I off base with those choices


Non quia difficilia sunt non audemus, sed quia non audemus, difficilia sunt
2019 Ram 1500 4x4
Re: Hemi 5w20 choice [Re: NissanHauler] #5122385 06/01/19 03:14 PM
Joined: Nov 2016
Posts: 1,163
B
burla Offline
Offline
B
Joined: Nov 2016
Posts: 1,163
Originally Posted by NissanHauler
Originally Posted by burla
Originally Posted by Danno
Just curious why folks here recommend oils that don't have manufacturer required certs for engines still in warranty?


Misguided is why, if you are going to run a non spec oil, mise well make it a non spec weight instead and get something out of it. 20 weights are extremely stable, hardly matters one brand to the next, but if you move to 5w30 there are incredible differences from brand to brand, and more over better film strength at the same time still using a thin oil = good idea for engine having issues like cams and lifters imo. Look for high additives oils with pao base oils is a good idea imo, also go away from the fca running 20 weight in a 390hp v8. The hemi is a dinosuar engine, it is not the modern stuff that thrives with lower weight oils, think hearty slightly heavier oils is a good strategy. That is what FCA did with the other non mds hemi's, run srt high moly 40 weight GtL base oil made in cooperation between FCA and Pennzoil. We also have guys running that in the mds engine 0w40 PUP, many guys on the board's second choice.

Looking at the Castrol Edge in 5w30, WiX filter since I cant find a Fram Ultra that's listed for my dodge lol. Am I off base with those choices


If you ask me those might be the best otc choice you can make, as they upped their moly lest check. I can't remember, it was either edge or qsud, but I think both are great choices, especially in 5w30. Do you have any uoa's?

Re: Hemi 5w20 choice [Re: burla] #5122413 06/01/19 04:08 PM
Joined: Aug 2016
Posts: 89
N
NissanHauler Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Joined: Aug 2016
Posts: 89
Only for my old 14' Nissan frontier I got rid of a few years ago


Non quia difficilia sunt non audemus, sed quia non audemus, difficilia sunt
2019 Ram 1500 4x4
Re: Hemi 5w20 choice [Re: NissanHauler] #5122433 06/01/19 04:46 PM
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,065
T
tiger862 Offline
Offline
T
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,065
Are the failures ran with synthetic or conventional oil? Some say synthetic oil causes rollers to slide instead of roll with conventional oil it rolls. Even Ram recommended conventional . I have seen lots of hemis that are over 200k and all they ran nothing but conventional.


Tiger862
2018 Grand Caravan
Re: Hemi 5w20 choice [Re: NissanHauler] #5122465 06/01/19 05:37 PM
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,573
GumbyJarvis Offline
Offline
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,573
Dave has some UOAs on here for a ram ran on Chevron Supreme 5w20, seemed to work quite well for the application

Good synblend with a nice dollop of Moly


2018 Ram 1500 5.7L SLT
Group 7 V2222 - Mobil 1 Truck & SUV 5w30
Re: Hemi 5w20 choice [Re: GumbyJarvis] #5122509 06/01/19 06:30 PM
Joined: Aug 2016
Posts: 89
N
NissanHauler Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Joined: Aug 2016
Posts: 89
For 5000 mile changes, what say you? Meets the Chrysler spec, actually found the filter I wanted too.

20190601_191529.jpg
Last edited by NissanHauler; 06/01/19 06:31 PM.

Non quia difficilia sunt non audemus, sed quia non audemus, difficilia sunt
2019 Ram 1500 4x4
Re: Hemi 5w20 choice [Re: NissanHauler] #5122516 06/01/19 06:40 PM
Joined: Jun 2016
Posts: 4,672
O
oil_film_movies Offline
Offline
O
Joined: Jun 2016
Posts: 4,672
NissanHauler, good choices. ... Castrol has a good reputation. Can't go wrong with that.
Fram Ultra is the best and it stands alone. It will do 80% at 5 microns, unequaled.
You mentioned the Chrysler spec. It's a low bar. Not much at all to consider. GM's dexos1 Gen2 is the tougher one to look for.

Re: Hemi 5w20 choice [Re: tiger862] #5122520 06/01/19 06:42 PM
Joined: Mar 2017
Posts: 13,414
PimTac Offline
Offline
Joined: Mar 2017
Posts: 13,414
Originally Posted by tiger862
Are the failures ran with synthetic or conventional oil? Some say synthetic oil causes rollers to slide instead of roll with conventional oil it rolls. Even Ram recommended conventional . I have seen lots of hemis that are over 200k and all they ran nothing but conventional.




Perhaps this thread will refresh your memory.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...c-lifter-failure-oil-related#Post2828939


It should since you participated in it. The first section is old but it was resurrected. These hemi threads are a regular occurrence here but in this case pictures and detailed comments are included including the usual arguments.


2017 Mazda CX5
Mobil 1 Annual Protection 0w20
Roki OEM filter.
Re: Hemi 5w20 choice [Re: NissanHauler] #5122544 06/01/19 07:06 PM
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,573
GumbyJarvis Offline
Offline
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,573
Originally Posted by NissanHauler
For 5000 mile changes, what say you? Meets the Chrysler spec, actually found the filter I wanted too.


For a 5k OCI you would have been better off with a Synblend or conventional imo

And a 5k oci with an ultra sounds costly and a waste of a filter than can go 15k+ mi

Last edited by GumbyJarvis; 06/01/19 07:19 PM.

2018 Ram 1500 5.7L SLT
Group 7 V2222 - Mobil 1 Truck & SUV 5w30
Re: Hemi 5w20 choice [Re: NissanHauler] #5122684 06/01/19 10:34 PM
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,065
T
tiger862 Offline
Offline
T
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,065
Originally Posted by PimTac
Originally Posted by tiger862
Are the failures ran with synthetic or conventional oil? Some say synthetic oil causes rollers to slide instead of roll with conventional oil it rolls. Even Ram recommended conventional . I have seen lots of hemis that are over 200k and all they ran nothing but conventional.




Perhaps this thread will refresh your memory.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...c-lifter-failure-oil-related#Post2828939


It should since you participated in it. The first section is old but it was resurrected. These hemi threads are a regular occurrence here but in this case pictures and detailed comments are included including the usual arguments.

I just looked over that thread and still does not answer the question of conventional 5w20 or synthetic 5w20 with more failure. Chrysler recommends conventional 5w20 but states you can use synthetic. Manual only states 5w20 for MDS to prevent failure. The people that I know that have high mileage with no cam failures have used conventional oil or not change on a regular basis. I see 1 mention he was using synthetic oil and another stated 5w30 conventional which is not recommended in manual.


Tiger862
2018 Grand Caravan
Re: Hemi 5w20 choice [Re: tiger862] #5122695 06/01/19 10:53 PM
Joined: Mar 2017
Posts: 13,414
PimTac Offline
Offline
Joined: Mar 2017
Posts: 13,414
It is likely a question that cannot be answered since many of the latest conventional oils have synthetic properties to meet the latest specs.


2017 Mazda CX5
Mobil 1 Annual Protection 0w20
Roki OEM filter.
Re: Hemi 5w20 choice [Re: OVERKILL] #5122763 06/02/19 05:09 AM
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 3,974
L
Lubener Offline
Offline
L
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 3,974
Originally Posted by OVERKILL
I'm running M1 EP 0w-20 in mine. It's majority PAO-based, which means low VII dosing and excellent cold temp performance.

It's brand new and calls for 5W-20. It will be fine all year even in his climate. Why would anyone in their right mind deviate and run 0W-20???

Last edited by Lubener; 06/02/19 05:13 AM.

The "thinking" man's friend.
Re: Hemi 5w20 choice [Re: Lubener] #5122788 06/02/19 06:30 AM
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 8,539
2015_PSD Offline
Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 8,539
Originally Posted by Lubener
Originally Posted by OVERKILL
I'm running M1 EP 0w-20 in mine. It's majority PAO-based, which means low VII dosing and excellent cold temp performance.
It's brand new and calls for 5W-20. It will be fine all year even in his climate. Why would anyone in their right mind deviate and run 0W-20???
What is the difference and why would it matter if both carry the specification?


2019 o)|||||(o Rubicon Wrangler Unlimited 3.6L V6 [Castrol Edge + Ultra]
2018 Mercedes Benz C300 2.0L Turbo [Pennzoil Platinum + Mann filter]
Re: Hemi 5w20 choice [Re: NissanHauler] #5122794 06/02/19 06:45 AM
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 13,067
T
Triple_Se7en Offline
Offline
T
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 13,067
I would run an oil with more PAO. I'd probably do a 50-50 blend of 0W20 and 5W30 Mobil-1 EP. This hemi engine has been around a long time and could use a little higher viscosity than 20w and increase Group4.


2019 Hyundai Santa Fe 2.4 GDI - Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w30 / OEM 35504 Filter
2020 Kia Soul X-Line 2.0 MPI - a 50-50 blend of Pennzoil Platinum HM & Pennzoil Gold 5w30 // AC Delco PF1127 Ecore




Page 5 of 6 1 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

BOB IS THE OIL GUY® Powered by UBB.threads™