Penzoil Ultra Platinum

Status
Not open for further replies.
I ordered 7 quarts of 5w-20 for my Hemi from Walmart online. It came in individual quarts with 5 having a black white cap and 2 having blacks. Would their be any difference in the oil quality? One of the bottles was leaking as well

5BB25DB1-4501-4C6B-855A-73E1456BB0DA.jpeg

Now the BITOG conundrum is which of these oils will serve your car better one has possible used oil or a foreign substance in it as well as being bottle and labeled backwards. Oh the drama.

It's probably just different production batches. Look on the bottom of the bottle for the production date. If the oil is too old for you to be comfortable with, then return it. Bottles get rough treatment in shipping, and they leak. Seal is good. Probably less than an ounce of loss. I would return the leaking bottle also. But you could use it all, as is, and you will be fine. Unless you believe that the bottle on the left is for racing, and the other one is not.

Last edited:
Tough one. On the back of the bottles, look at the API "donut". If one has SN Plus and one has SN, then, technically, it's a different formula and shouldn't be mixed. If cautious anyway. Doubt it would create any problems though. Oil "quality" should be similar.

Also, tell us the numbers stamped on the bottom or back, and even the copyright date on the label, but I think the left one is the new bottle-label design.

If you keep them, check the seals on the cap to make sure no tampering/re-filling, ya know.

Likely just a packaging change. If you compare the UPC codes, you'll probably find they are the same. The leakage is another matter, and it looks like oldhp gave a good suggestion to deal with that. I would also ensure the seal on the cap of the leaking bottle is intact. It's possible the cap backed off just enough to cause a leak, without breaking the seal.

Originally Posted by dawgn86
I ordered 7 quarts of 5w-20 for my Hemi from Walmart online. It came in individual quarts with 5 having a black white cap and 2 having blacks. Would their be any difference in the oil quality? One of the bottles was leaking as well

Return it to Walmart. That's ridiculous sending you two different concoctions and chances are, these are two different concoctions.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
chances are, these are two different concoctions.

Bottle on the left is labeled as "race trusted". Bottle on right keeps pistons cleaner.

Maybe a fake?? or just an older bottle that has been upgraded. One on right has Pennzoil and trademark logo in the plastic. Other one does not but I am sure that could be counterfeited too. I wouldn't know how to know other than contacting Pennzoil if you need to know. Options are to return some of them or all of them or to use some of them or all of them.

When it doubt take it back. I am certain WMT will make it right. I have had nothing but good experiences with WMT online oil purchases.

Pour into a clear jar and do a color comparison. If somebody swapped in cheaper, say, SuperTech conventional in there, I think the color would be different. And the cap seal of course.

People freaking out over two dufferent bottlle/labels? Counterfeit Pennzoil? Get a grip folks, "Race trusted" and PurePlus is on the bottle on Pennzoils website. The other bottle also lists PurePlus as well.... Neither cannot be that old. SN plus and SN? Unless you have a DI/turbo engine then N/P..even then.......I would bet many top oils were already SN plus compliant even before the standard came out.

Now a leaky bottle is different. Amazon sent me a 5 qt Ultra that got damaged in shipping and had a small pinch in the side that was slowly leaking. Post Office had a bag around the leaking box.. Amazon sent out a new 5 qt jug right away as a replacement. They told me to keep the leaking jug...about 4 qt's left.

What worker at Walmart or Amazon warehouse packing these bottles would or should look for SN or SN plus etc?...... Get real. Pennzoil Ultra 5W20 is what was ordered. That what was shipped. . When a company changes oil formulation, bottle and or label styles you think they throw away the previous products? Of course not.

Simple solution..If not happy send it or take it back and get matching bottles and labels as well as a relacement for the leaker..

I've had three cases of PUP the last 4 years, two had the black tops one had silver tops. There is no issue here.

Originally Posted by burla
I've had three cases of PUP the last 4 years, two had the black tops one had silver tops. There is no issue here.

Nobody said an issues exists. What exists are two different formulas. Take it back to Walmart and ask for (1) formula.

A-lot less hassle when ordering five quart jugs. I cannot remember the correct decade, where I bought single quarts.... 1990s?
When I need six quarts for my Colorado, I buy two five quart jugs. Plenty of leftovers for the next couple OCIs. Then I only need to buy (1) five quart jug for a little while.

Wait - I did buy quart bottles a couple years ago. I bought two cases of Formula Shell 5W30 from Menards. There are 12 in each sealed case and being the box was glued shut, no mixing of formulas occurred. All 12 are stamped identical and wearing the same colored cap seal. Still have one case remaining. I use it for top-offs and added a single quart when I last changed my Colorado, which needed six quarts.
Five quart jug of Castrol Edge 0W40
One quart of Formula Shell 5W30

Last edited:
Originally Posted by DoubleNickels

Bottle on the left is labeled as "race trusted". Bottle on right keeps pistons cleaner.

I saw that, too .. "Race Trusted"
lol.gif
grin2.gif
crackmeup2.gif

Those labels are just someone in the "graphic design" department trying to keep their job...........

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted by dawgn86

Return it to Walmart. That's ridiculous sending you two different concoctions and chances are, these are two different concoctions.

They're different bottles but probably the same oil, I have the old style packaging and they're SN+...

How could it ever matter that the bottles/labels/API rating is not the same? OMG maybe we should stop mixing oils not made on the same batch, or maybe the same date, or maybe they need to be consecutively timed bottles from the filling line? Get real. They're both PUP. and SN+ is backwards compatible with SN. End of story! You guys really think ANY brand of oil would be incompatible with itself across two formulas of the same product line? Holy $ht you guys have too much time and not enough brain cells!

OP, return & replace the leaker, use the rest as identical.

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
Get real. They're both PUP. and SN+ is backwards compatible with SN. End of story! ..... you guys have too much time and not enough brain cells!.

It's just a basic case of "BITOG O.C.D." - it happens here all the time
crackmeup2.gif
lol.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back