Intel is dead? - Interesting take

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by mazdamonky
I hope they aren't dead, but I hope they get a kick in the butt for being such a horrible company to the competition. They literally defamed, lied, sold unsafe processors, and cheated their way into being the dominant processor company.

This..they played more than dirty with their competitors like AMD....

In a way it is karma.

I always thought that Intel bought AMD out years ago....this never happened?

If not I am so darn glad...I hope AMD comes out on top for the first time in 25 years.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by AC1DD
Originally Posted by mazdamonky
I hope they aren't dead, but I hope they get a kick in the butt for being such a horrible company to the competition. They literally defamed, lied, sold unsafe processors, and cheated their way into being the dominant processor company.

This..they played more than dirty with their competitors like AMD....

In a way it is karma.

I always thought that Intel bought AMD out years ago....this never happened?

If not I am so darn glad...I hope AMD comes out on top for the first time in 25 years.

Intel was in talks to buy NVidia a few years ago, but that fell through. NVidia is bigger than AMD, so the odds of AMD growing past NVidia, let alone Intel, who is massively larger than both of them, are pretty low. Intel's first quarter net revenue was almost 4x AMD's total revenue. Net to net, intel made 250x what AMD made.

Originally Posted by Linctex
Originally Posted by Cujet
People who count on their fingers should maintain a discreet silence.

Technology has far, far, far, far surpassed any hope of any future "Steve Jobs" type people "building prototypes in their garage".

All new technologies will be created in and administered by major corporations.

Technological entrepreneurs are now extinct.

All of us "'common folk" can only be simple users anymore.

Not quite. Hardware is commoditized, software is where the innovation is.

Intel is king. There is only 1 tiny issue that could trip them up and it is all up to the consumer.

An intel whistleblower came out and blew the lid off of Intel's designs that included backdoor hardware for the intel agencies. They were including off-bus chips that were reading all data at the unencrypted level. This hardware was included on everything after the core 2 duo lineup. They have been collecting all forms of data including all keystrokes from all devices containing the chipsets.

If consumers decide they don't care as it all comes out in more detail, then intel will be fine. If customers decide they do care, Intel will have a few rough quarters but likely survive.

Originally Posted by badtlc
Intel is king. There is only 1 tiny issue that could trip them up and it is all up to the consumer.

An intel whistleblower came out and blew the lid off of Intel's designs that included backdoor hardware for the intel agencies. They were including off-bus chips that were reading all data at the unencrypted level. This hardware was included on everything after the core 2 duo lineup. They have been collecting all forms of data including all keystrokes from all devices containing the chipsets.

If consumers decide they don't care as it all comes out in more detail, then intel will be fine. If customers decide they do care, Intel will have a few rough quarters but likely survive.

Show me the proof of this please.

Originally Posted by Direct_Rejection
I conduct daily commerce at RNB (Robert Noyce) Corporate Headquarters.
Also SC 9 Corporate Receiving.
Also SC 2 Photo Mask Manufacturing.
All in Santa Clara CA.

Intel employees are tired because the company is busy and they are working long hours.
No one is in panic mode about losing their jobs...at all.

My prediction is that Intel will remain at the forefront of technology for the long run.

This seems like a more reasonable analysis.

I also like Intel. Though I could be tempted to buy an AMD, if it is on a power or even gaming laptop. just has to work at this point.

Honestly, I could see Intel largely abandoning the consumer market, given ARM and AMD are in a position to eat up so much of it. Intel still wins in the high-end server market, at least if you're running in an environment where you don't need to turn all the mitigations on, and that's where the biggest profit margins are.

While I may switch to AMD for my personal PCs, I specced out a few dozen new servers recently with multi-thousand-dollar CPUs, and they're all Intel. The AMD CPUs are just for the cheap servers that don't need to do a lot, so we can see how well they work.

Intel's big problem is that they've led the world on the manufacturing process for many years, and suddenly they're not. I don't know what they've been up to in the last four or five years, but they've squandered the one thing that kept them ahead of the rest of the pack, while TSMC caught up and now arguably is ahead of them.

The new ryzen 3000 series (zen 2, 3rd generation ryzen) make me think why the heck didnt intel manage to do something similar in 6 generations of processors.

my 2011 i5-2500k that is still chugging along @4.3ghz is not much slower than any newer 4core

yet somehow in a few years AMD massively leaps ahead in IPC and core count/value

I used amd back in the opterion/athlon days.. and it looks like my next pc will be AMD based.

Now video cards are another story unless they have good drivers to go with the new navi gpu's
Will probably get a nvidia 2070.

For what it's worth, a buddy of mine was retooling a bunch of fabs previously mothballed for Intel and Micron in the past few years. Not sure if that means they have to high of a demand per supply or not.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Rand
The new ryzen 3000 series (zen 2, 3rd generation ryzen) make me think why the heck didnt intel manage to do something similar in 6 generations of processors.

They lost their lead in fabrication tech. That's what's kept Intel ahead all these years, and they threw it away.

The last boss seemed far more interested in following the latest media fad than producing the best CPUs. So here we are.

Intel is sticking around for a loongggg time. NVidia is committed to AI/ML and self-driving cars(and their chips are used by VAG, Tesla and Uber/Toyota for that role) but they took a big hit from crypto - now that ASICs for mining BTC/ETH/Ripple are much more efficient but more expensive than a few high-end GeForce 1K/2K cards. AMD is now seeing their glory days of the early 2000s again with the Zen/Navi architectures with CPUs/GPUs but Intel is much better from a compatibility standpoint. Intel just works.

I think ARM is a bigger threat to Intel's raison d' etre, especially if Apple switches to their own silicon for the iMac/MacBook line. Apple was dependent on Intel for the iPhone's modem, until they made nice with Qualcomm.

They're retreated in NAND flash - both Intel and Micron have bowed out of IMFT, Intel is hunkering down on their X-Point flash that's the basis for Optane.

Originally Posted by nthach
Intel is sticking around for a loongggg time.

Probably. But perhaps only in the same way that Microsoft and IBM are sticking around.

As you say, ARM is the big threat at the low end. AMD is the big threat in the mid-range. There's no real threat at the high-end, but a lot of less-powerful servers that currently use Xeons could probably switch to AMD or ARM instead.

Originally Posted by emg

As you say, ARM is the big threat at the low end. AMD is the big threat in the mid-range. There's no real threat at the high-end, but a lot of less-powerful servers that currently use Xeons could probably switch to AMD or ARM instead.

AMD was working on a desktop/server class ARM processor and years ago did integrate a ARM core or two into some of their Opteron processors for server/workstation applications. With the iPad Pro having nearly as much computing power(or more) as the 8th gen Intel Core series of CPUs, ARM is something Intel shouldn't ignore.

The ARM organization is also a lot more friendlier to 3rd parties making CPUs based on their architecture unlike Intel that keeps an iron grip on their IP.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/11/27/amazon_aws_graviton_specs/

One can only hope. They have been the scumbags for way too long and have ruined the computer industry for far too long (like MS in the 90's/early 2000's). The security issues alone should have all Intel users scared.

Always been an AMD guy. They make the better value chips and lately have been kicking butt in all spaces - low end, mid end, and high end. Ryzen chips have been offering great performance for a few years now. Threadripper excells at HEDT stuff, and EPYC has been kicking butt in servers. It's no secret that a lot of new supercomputers are based on AMD EPYC.

My Ryzen 7 plows through everything I throw at it and just runs and runs 24/7. One of the best machines I've built.

The majority of CPUs in use by consumers today are NOT Intel. They have failed at cellular modems, GPUS, and nearly everything that is not x86. AMD is killing them in data center with a superior high performance and low power CPU (EPYC). The value of their multicore chips can't be beat.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by edhackett
That video is nothing more than AI generated fake news click bait.

Ed

Originally Posted by Alfred_B
Not quite. Hardware is commoditized, software is where the innovation is.

Originally Posted by emg
They lost their lead in fabrication tech. That's what's kept Intel ahead all these years, and they threw it away.

Pretty much.

Intel was the last "too big to fail" chip company with FAB outside of foundries and memory companies (commodities).

The problem with Intel, and any other big monopoly, is that they are making so much money being a monopoly in the old business, that any move to the new world (i.e. going mobile, low cost low power processors, going ARM, moving into open source, virtualization / cloud endorsement aka rent instead of purchase) is going to cost them real money in the legacy businesses.

Intel loses sales in chips because renting is cheaper and more flexible (i.e. you can rent more server during peak season in the cloud, and rent little to none during off peak)
Microsoft loses sales of Windows if people switch to Linux
Oracle loses sales of the database if people switch to any other open source databases.

So they fight anything that will undermine the movement, until the competitors got a hold of the market and all of a sudden the monopoly becomes a dead weight.

Intel once upon a time has the best FAB, now they have problem because they can't afford the latest. AMD now just needs to rent it from TSMC like Apple and Huawei, and can make any volume without oversupply or cannot afford to upgrade between nodes.

Same for Oracle, they have been milking the customers threatening them with audit in exchange for upgrade, that companies now switch to cheaper alternative like opensource, or rent it from cloud.

Same for IBM (what do they make now these days).

The market has changed, people don't pay top dollar for 10% improvement annually, and Intel hasn't move on to foundry yet. They still want to charge ridiculous price made with 14nm instead of 7nm

Last edited:
Same for IBM (what do they make now these days).

Large corporate mainframes and nothing else? Or has this changed also

The Computer Room..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back