Woman Has '57 Chevy. Only car she's ever owned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like the title says...
This is Grace Braeger and her '57 Chevy. It's the only car she's ever owned!

Can you guess what her OCI is before you watch?
She states the OCI in the second half of the video.

Turboglide/Turbojet? Wonder what parts availability is like on that trans...

Pretty sure I've seen this before. Cool all the same.

Originally Posted by Chris142
283? Too bad she is putting prestone all makes all models coolant in it. Going to eat the radiator and heater core.

What? Yeah right........Wonder how many decades she has used those products and it still runs as new.....and looks new.

Turboglide. I talk with Chevy people and they never heard of it. They think that Chevy only had Powerglide.

Look up Turboglide in Wikipedia.

Only reason I know about it is because back in the day, I had a friend with a new 57 with it.

Turboglide. I talk with Chevy people and they never heard of it. They think that Chevy only had Powerglide.

Look up Turboglide in Wikipedia.

Only reason I know about it is because back in the day, I had a friend with a new 57 with it.

"Lets put a LS something in there with a 4L80E trans. Of course lower it with air bags. 24" rims...Blah...Blah...Blah." NOT!!!!! Beautiful car and a Beautiful Owner. I just hope nobody steals it.

My mom and dad both purchased new 57 Chevys before they were married. Dad lost his left leg in Korea so he only drove automatic transmissions since before I was born. His 57 was a Bel Air and had the Turboglide transmission with a 283. It had dual 4 barrel carbs on a T manifold, but he swapped them out for a single carb because it burned too much gas. He liked bench seats because they were easier for him to get in/out, but he didn't have those fancy red seats hike her Bel Air does.

Mom's was a Two Ten and it had a three speed Synchromesh manual (column shifter) with a 235 straight six. That car is still sitting in the field behind their old house, but it's just a rusted shell. Somebody shot out the windows and the radiator was stolen for the copper a few years ago. Dad sold his to a restorer sometime in the mid 90's. Mom died in 86 so there was no way he was ever going to sell her car.

Something is way fishy. The "only car she has owned" is likely a technicality. She said she had a traveling job - she probably had a company car or allowance.

The car is in way too good of shape to have sat outside for the last many decades, even just the last few years. Looks like she parks it outside and lives in a retirement complex or something...

Such low mikes helps, but something isn't right. Too clean inside and out. For all the claimed maintenance,e the trunk squeaks...

Originally Posted by maxdustington
Originally Posted by supton
Turboglide/Turbojet? Wonder what parts availability is like on that trans...
You should ask a drag racer that question.

Eh? Last I knew they liked Powerglides for when they want a 2 speed.

Very nice lady and car. She doesn't feel the shifts because there are none. She states she did use the car as a company car and that's why it has so many miles, for her. 1000 oil changes were commonly followed back then. It should have had the oil filter being a loaded demonstrator.

It's averaged somewhere around 1800 miles a year. That could be a daily driver if you live in town.

I inherited my dad's 98 Silverado in 2010. It had 22000 miles on it. He drove it to town maybe twice a week for groceries and mail, and doctor visits 2-3 times a year. So it's plausible, even more so if she did have access to a company car and only needed to drive it for purely personal business.

Edit: I wonder how much she pays for insurance? That car would sell for a pretty penny.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by bullwinkle
I want to know what she used on the body to get 50+ years out of it in WISCONSIN!!

My first thought as well.... maybe NONE of the sheetmetal is original!

I want to know what other repairs have been done to it. The valve guides should be completely gone by now, as well as all the exhaust valve seats.

There's NO WAY that carb is original with 10% ethanol fuel these last few decades.

No PCV valve - - just a "draft tube" for crankcase ventilation. All of these engines sludged up.

Those seats must be recovers. They look too good for a car that age. The old vinyl would crack eventually, especially in Wisconsin winters.

Originally Posted by Linctex
Originally Posted by bullwinkle
I want to know what she used on the body to get 50+ years out of it in WISCONSIN!!

My first thought as well.... maybe NONE of the sheetmetal is original!

I want to know what other repairs have been done to it. The valve guides should be completely gone by now, as well as all the exhaust valve seats.

There's NO WAY that carb is original with 10% ethanol fuel these last few decades.

No PCV valve - - just a "draft tube" for crankcase ventilation. All of these engines sludged up.

I have seen a pair of actual iron WCFB carbs set up to run ethanol gas with no issues...I see no reason a Rochester couldn't be st up the same way. (Actually...it might even have a WCFB.)

If it rarely saw highway use (or she used lead substitute), the exhaust seats could easily be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back