Need a cordless drill/screwdriver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Triple_Se7en

$50 Site Donor 2024
Hate to say, but I just used my drill to hang a wind-chime outside and mine still has an electric cord. Needed to grab a 25ft long extension cord too.

So now I want to leave that prehistoric cave and get more modern equipment. This new drill/screwdriver has to have some balls. Want it small and lightweight as possible. I'll need a 2nd battery.
Is this possible for around $125? Which one should I get for light/medium duty?

Look at the Ryobi series from Home Depot. Right now if you purchase 2 3.0 amp batteries with the charger included, you get a choice of a select tool for free. Not sure if they will change any thing for Father's Day this year. I have taken advantage of some of their specials over the last two years.

Ryobi Free Tools

DeWalt Li-20V is what I would buy.....I still use my ancient DeWalt 18V-XRP stuff at home that I bought back in 2007 (Yes, I've had to buy a few batteries)

BTW......A impact is a much more useful tool than a drill for home projects IMO! Unless I'm drilling a hole with a drill bit, I don't use my drill.

I've had great luck with my Ryobi One+ setup. I thing originally I got a drill, drill bit set, two batteries and a charger as a kit. I've added a weed whacker, a circular saw, and a sawzall. It's amazing being able to buy the tools on their own, plus when the "kits" go on sale for cheaper than the tool you get extra batteries to boot. I've been very impressed.

Originally Posted by clinebarger
BTW......A impact is a much more useful tool than a drill for home projects IMO! Unless I'm drilling a hole with a drill bit, I don't use my drill.
I disagree, the drill is more versatile. Before impacts were widespread, carpenters used cordless drills to drive screws. It's easier to drive screws with a drill than it is to drill with an impact. You can also get wire wheels and mixing paddles for them.

You can buy round shank drill bits by the pound but hex shank are expensive unless they are spade bits.

EDIT: Dewalt has the cheapest batteries and is the most ubiquitous. I think I would go with Milwaukee M12, as they are cheap and have a lot of tools.

Last edited:
i have both rigid 18volt and milwalkie 12volt stuff. i use the 12 volt stuff around the house way more than the 18 volt . 12 volt has enough power to do almost anything usually needed in normal home use.

Originally Posted by maxdustington
Originally Posted by clinebarger
I disagree, the drill is more versatile. Before impacts were widespread, carpenters used cordless drills to drive screws. It's easier to drive screws with a drill than it is to drill with an impact. You can also get wire wheels and mixing paddles for them.

You can buy round shank drill bits by the pound but hex shank are expensive unless they are spade bits.

EDIT: Dewalt has the cheapest batteries and is the most ubiquitous. I think I would go with Milwaukee M12, as they are cheap and have a lot of tools.

I have both....Actually Two of each. I use my Impacts a lot more. I can drill pilot holes with the drill then run in the screw with the impact. Drills are poor "Drivers" in my opinion.

As for batteries....My XRP's last 2-3 years on average. My dads Li-20V have held up much better! He's at 5 years on the originals.

Originally Posted by WhyMe
12 volt has enough power to do almost anything usually needed in normal home use.

Yup. I drilled 5/8" holes in metal with my 12V Bosch drill.

Look at the platform of potential cordless tools you might want, not just one item. I went with Milwaukee M18. Most of my cordless tools are the M18 Fuel which is brushless.

I have brushless dewalt at home 3/8 drive...... love it -use it all the time. Totally controllable
At work they switched us to Milwaukee ....... I thought my dewalt stuff was kick arse. Not even in the same zip code as the new Milwaukee stufff. Milwaukee must have hired all new engineering staff. Very very nice tools.
My problem is that this technology is changing so fast that for the home mechanic wannabe it's nearly impractical to keep up. When these tools are making you money it's a must have. Before you buy check out the Milwaukee stuff. Pretty impressive..... for now

craftsman (lowes) Ryobi( home depot) or even Hercules at harbor freight ,any manufacturer usually has a good starter kit , price wise what I look at is what it will cost down the road to replace batteries when they wont take a charge anymore some of the replacement batteries cost more than buying a new set up... myself being close to retirement after 40 years in home remodeling , I took a chance with the Hercules ,, almost two years now and its keeping up with the name brands and replacement batteries are way less money than any name brand..

I agree with Dewalt 20V brushless... though I kind of doubt you'll get it in your price range. There is a kit with a drill, impact and 2 batteries.

Originally Posted by DuckRyder
I agree with Dewalt 20V brushless... though I kind of doubt you'll get it in your price range. There is a kit with a drill, impact and 2 batteries.

I forgot that I will need the Kit...... more money...... $199. I see the brushless ones are the latest new tech designs.
Now doing a google search on Milwaukee and Hercules similar ones....

Don't mind the extra cost. May put drill/driver kit on my Fathers Day Present Wish List....lol

As others have mentioned, 12V Li-ion is great for around the house stuff. I've been a Milwaukee M12 user for years and have many tools. More than enough power for drilling, driving, cutting, etc.

I would heartily recommend the M12 Fuel as the regular drill is pretty gutless.

I just bought my first M18Fuel impact because 12V doesn't have the oomph for heavier automotive work.

Consider buying CPO as they are great values at CPO Tools I look at it like they get another QC check. The tools I've bought have been new looking.

Many choices, all good. I have had no trouble with Lowe's Porter Cable for a number of years. I also have Ridgid and would recommend those. They have a larger set with 1/2 capacity drill and a compact set with 3/8 capacity. The smaller set has a 4 and 2 amp battery which is better than the larger set has. I like the compact size because it's easier on the hand. You can get the drill and driver for the 125. Ridgid has lifetime guarantee on everything including batteries if process the registration. I have all mine on it. If you need a hammer drill for concrete these don't have that. An impact has many advantages and a drill also is better for some things, get both in a set like this.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-...tteries-Charger-and-Bag-R9000K/205358335

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-...atteries-Charger-and-Bag-R9602/205762719

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Hate to say, but I just used my drill to hang a wind-chime outside and mine still has an electric cord. Needed to grab a 25ft long extension cord too.

So now I want to leave that prehistoric cave and get more modern equipment. This new drill/screwdriver has to have some balls. Want it small and lightweight as possible. I'll need a 2nd battery.
Is this possible for around $125? Which one should I get for light/medium duty?

Those combo sets are great. I have the Dewalt 20v set that I bought back in 2011 which included a third battery.

https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DCK24...;qid=1559398786&s=gateway&sr=8-5

Then last year I added on a three speed impact gun. It's great because at the lowest speed you can insert screws slowly for electrical jobs.

https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DCF78...;qid=1559398786&s=gateway&sr=8-4

What you will probably find out is that you will want to upgrade a lot of your tools to use the new battery. I would do your homework as to what you want to upgrade short and long term. Sawzalls, skill saws higher level hammer drills etc. Leaf blowers, jigsaws ets. Once you get hooked like me, you might become a cordless tool junky.

IMO you don't want different brands that use different batteries so you'll have more issues when batteries go bad. With my Dewalt I have batteries as old as 2011 and they are all still going strong. None of these batteries is dead yet. I'm not using them everyday, but I use the batteries weekly.

Good luck with your search.

The Makita 12v drill & driver kit Trav linked is a great deal. It's normally $130 or $140. I have the impact driver and the oscillating multi tool and both are excellent. As good a combination of balls and small & lightweight as you're going to get, short of spending another $120 for brushless like that linked Milwaukee set.

jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back