17 Honda Civic 1.5T 6MT, Amsoil 5w30, 7,913/35,096mi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Latest results for my Civic with SS 5w30 at 8K mi. Fuel dilution test wasn't ready due to lab's issues and will be done next week. Although I'm expecting fuel to be at 3-4%. Sodium and Silicon went up (virgin oil has 5 and 7 ppm respectively) - what's that about? Also, looks like aluminum slightly went up - any comments on that?

Note: Car's MM was at 15% when I changed it. SHould've ran longer?

Any thoughts and comments are welcomed

[Linked Image]

Yes, could have run it a little longer, around 2,000 more miles given the high TBN. And viscosity was hanging in there, looking like heavy-side xw20 oils at the end, which was your goal probably.
Amsoil SS works well, low iron ppm, just the fuel dilution is there to wonder whether or not it's putting extra carbon on the pistons.

Na and no K means it's not anti-freeze coolant. Wow, in TX you're not getting salt on roads, which is what I've blamed slightly elevated Na on in the past, getting in via dust particles past the air filter..... Puzzling.

Yeah, there are 5ppm of sodium in VOA for this oil but where the rest is coming from is unknown...

If you're near the coast, salt air might contribute to sodium.

More aluminum (aluminium for our Euro and Aussie friends) plus silicon might mean a filtration issue so maybe check the intake and air filter.

Results are good, but I'd put a caution on these results - silicon is still relatively high for the miles, and aluminum is up.

No, it's not catastrophic at all, BUT it could be some excess dirt getting into the engine, causing some extra piston and bearing wear.

I guess I'm just saying what JLTD said above.

Looks like easy 10 K oil in Texas.

Come on amsoil SS!

I would leave a jug of 18$ Wallwart faux syn special in that long NP up here the land of 2 seasons.

Q. Did you poke around the airbox during this time?

Last edited:
There's an UOA for 10th gen civics on a different site and it looks like silicon values i'm getting are about the same or lower than average. I haven't touched the airfilter since i changed it at 21K miles, so it's been in use for around 15k miles now

No Sir. Had the filter swapped @ 21K and never touched it since. I guess it's time to order new air filter

Last edited:
FWIW, a sample of one, a friend of mine has an '18 Civic 1.5T, and the dipstick level is not rising. He's a mechanic, so when I spoke to him about the fuel dilution issue, he understood and said the level has been steady, even over a rough winter or two.
Now I wonder what % of these things actually have over 2% fuel dilution, the level at which I would consider it a problem?

I'm currently running an AFE ProDry air filter in our 18 CRV with the same engine. Haven't done a uoa yet. Currently 20K miles.

Thanks so much for posting this. I don't have the same car, but an accord 2.0t, which has some fuel dilution issues as well. This looks like a good oil. Wonder how their xl line would hold up?

I've been doing 5k ocis but this might make me a little more adventurous. I've got Mobil ep ready to go in soon. Amsoil is spendy, but looks to do well here.

Honestly, i don't think XLwould make sense to be used. Or even signature series for that matter. Too expensive compared to over the counter offerings. I have another fill left of amsoil (scored a 12qt pack) and i'm going to M1 EP 5w30 that i have purchased for 2.5$/qt with current rebate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back