Makita angle grinder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been doing a lot of searching and reading up on angle grinders and am leaning towards this one.

https://www.amazon.com/Makita-9557P...mp;psc=1&refRID=MJ45VHAE89H67PHM9CDM

Main reason I want one it to start sharpening my lawn mower blades and will be using either a 40 or 60 grit flap disc. Of course once I have it I'm sure I will find other uses for it.

I know a lot of you like HF angle grinders but from what I have read they vibrate more than others and I am somewhat sensitive to this, after running my B&D cordless weed eater my left arm tends to shake for a couple hours so I want something a little nicer and I have read the Makita's don't vibrate as much.

Bomgaars has a Dewalt DWE402 on sale for $69.99 but I don't think I need that much power and also a Milwaukee 6130-33 for $49.99 but I think the Makita would be a better buy with the case and all the extras it comes with.

Any suggestions or comments on the Makita would be helpful, I've never owned an angle grinder and it's been a long time since I've used one.

Last edited:
I have bought both Makita and DeWalt 4-1/2" angle grinders as "factory refurbished" from several ebay dealers for under $50....

When they arrived, they looked as though they had never been used a day in their life.... I have been pleased.

I've got a couple of Makita power tools entering their 4th decade in service.

You'll be pleased with this one, I'm certain.

When I bought an angle grinder years ago (April, 2005), I only bought it to sharpen my lawn mower blades. Initially I picked up a Dewalt from a local hardware store, but the vibration was too much; hence I returned it. Read reviews and picked up a Bosch 1810PS from AMZN. This is a fantastic angle grinder. I am sure the quality of Dewalt has come a long way since then. I actually have several Dewalt power tools and am very happy with them. I also have a Makita Makita 9227CX3 polisher that is super. In summary, Makita, Bosch and Dewalt tools are fine. The Bosch I bought is:

Bosch 1810PS (no longer available)

AMZN has a cheaper Bosch that might be just what you need:

Bosch 1375A

The 1375A appears to have reasonable reviews and is only $40. Not sure where it is made in etc. Separately, you may also consider a cordless angle grinder.

Last edited:
I have a Makita 120v small angle grinder, its about 10 years old now and I use it a lot along with a old USA made Milwaukee that is even older and both have never failed.
The Makita is my main tool for use with a flapper wheel, I keep a cutter on the other. I would buy another Makita today if this one let go.

I've got that same grinder since 2005. I've pounded [censored] out of it fabricating steel items and dressing welds. You'll love that big paddle switch. The safety flipper is annoying but it goes away fast with a small gob of epoxy. Fantastic grinder, you'll love it!

there is the dewalt DWE402 that is made in the USA

there is also the Makita 9565PC that has their SJS clutch system to help reduce wear on the drive gears. Also its made in the USA as well. bit more pricey but it really is a smooth running grinder.

There is the new Craftsman CMEG200 that will run you about 60 bucks and its made in Greenfield Indiana

I personally am more of a Makita guy but the Dewalt is good if you are looking more for a budget USA made one. Dewalt will post on their website if its made in the USA and have it marked on the boxes in stores. Makita I have to reference to a place that sells online and posts COO such as Grainger, Zoro or Acme Tools. On Makita boxes, you have to look for the "Assembled in the USA" and half the time its covered up by the sales people at HD.

That grinder will run you about the same price as the two US built dewalts and Craftsman. That Makita (9557PB) is made in China.

Originally Posted by Duffyjr

Bomgaars has a Dewalt DWE402 on sale for $69.99 but I don't think I need that much power and also a Milwaukee 6130-33 for $49.99 but I think the Makita would be a better buy with the case and all the extras it comes with.

70 bucks still isn't bad for a US built angle grinder. My Makita was about 150 bucks brand new 12 years back but it still runs perfectly smooth the day it was new.

Good point. I recently saw USA made DeWalt grinders in HD. I have a number of USA made Makita tools too

I went to Bomgaars and picked up the DeWalt for $70. Decided to go local and made in the USA.

Thanks all for you replies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back