'13 Kia Optima - or '15 Ford Focus?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been looking at a 2015 Ford Focus (DOHC, 2.9L DGI) hatchback with 71,000 miles for $8,400. It's at a large, high-volume dealer in Texas.

When I mentioned this to a friend of mine, he said his (recently deceased) Father-in-law's car is for sale:
2013 Kia Optima LX with only 17,000 original miles. (He sent pics - the man never even drove this car in the rain) - $10,000 in perfect shape.

It's been many years since I have done any car shopping. I'm not interested in any "high-tech" features.
I really don't want a GDI engine, so I'm stepping lightly with this decision (but there's few alternatives)

This is something I'll likely drive to the 250,000 mile mark.

While I don't think I could go wrong either way - - which one would you choose, and why?
Tell me all the dirt!

Thanks, Everyone!

Unless the Focus has the MT I would stay clear of the AT on those. WAY to many problems. The car also seems to be built REALLY cheap. My dad works for the State of Kansas. He got a brand new 14 Focus, and so did the rest of his colleagues. They all seem to have the front bumper start down. The skid plate in the front is garbage. He said they all can't stand the transmission on it.
Would I buy one? Yes, IF it had the MT and was decently priced. No way would I be paying $$$ when there are better options.
I would take the KIA before the Focus. They seem to hold up better in my opinion. We would get a lot of these cars at walmart. People would abuse them, and they always run just fine. Yet people abused the Focus and they were trashed compared to their KIA counter parts.

Get the Focus ONLY if it has a manual transmission. If not, get the Kia
smile.gif

Ahhhh...... Thanks! The Focus is an automatic, Shift pattern PRNDL. I didn't know these were problematic.

Originally Posted by Veilside
I'd go with the Kia. Blessing or curse, depending on how you view it, it probably carries a 15 year unlimited mileage warranty on the engine due to Hyundai/Kia having a recall on those engines due to a manufacturing defect.

So the engine will probably grenade itself one day. But.... you'll probably get it replaced under warranty.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4437762/Kia_2.0T_and_2.4L_engine_safet

I wonder how hard it is to transfer any remaining warranty.

With such low miles, I wonder if they wouldn't have a problem doing that.

Originally Posted by Veilside
I'd go with the Kia. But.... you'll probably get it replaced under warranty.
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4437762/Kia_2.0T_and_2.4L_engine_safet

Wow...... they really put that one to bed. Incredible!

From that thread:
Originally Posted by WhizkidTN
FYI - Kia Optima Safety Recall (SC147) for the 2.0T and 2.4L (and others):
With the Safety Recall, they have now extended the engine warranty to 15 years and UNLIMITED mileage for ALL owners (original, 2nd, etc.). This is found in the FAQ section, Question #14. This is also a full long-block assembly replacement (stated as such in the letter)! This replacement should have all the improvements this engine series had till the last MY of production (2015 for the Optima 2.0T, etc.).
This is regardless of passing the same "noise" test or not that Hyundai has been doing (with a new dipstick and a free oil change). A rental/loaner car will also be provided if a replacement is needed (from Kia tech on FB).
THIS IS VERY GOOD NEWS!
From the Q&A section of the letter:
Kia SC147 Q&A section (Official)

You want a 2016+ Focus with the 1.0 EcoBoost and non-DCT automatic. The Focus will drive FAR better than the Kia.

I'm at 75,000 miles on my Focus 1.0 / 6M. Mechanically it's been flawless and will do 50+ MPG in the right situations. One small area where the paint flaked at the rear wheel well. Not sure if I picked up some debris or what.

Originally Posted by Linctex
Originally Posted by GumbyJarvis
This was the other vehicle, it should get you to the 250,000mi mark and have less issues versus the Focus or Kia

https://www.automaxvw.com/used/Volkswagen/2013-Volkswagen-Jetta-b7df5cca0a0e0ae8193ab96a43a8fbf2.htm

That's a good deal.....

I just don't know anything about Volkswagen Diesels other than when they *DO* need to be fixed, it's crazy expensive to get one out of the shop.

I personally don't think thats a good deal...
I paid 14.5 for my 17 Jetta. Brand New, 48 miles on it. They sticker for 17K before any haggling. Plus I get 45 MPG all the time on the highway. 40 if mixed. No worries of how it was stored but now im getting into new car price territory.

If you trying to stay in that 10K price ranger I'd take the KIA unless the engine thing scares you.

Originally Posted by FordBroncoVWJeta

If you trying to stay in that 10K price range, I'd take the KIA unless the engine thing scares you.

Which it doesn't -
I plan to take good care of it, but it's nice to fall back on their 15 year replacement guarantee if it is needed.

I'd get the KIA which is virtually brand new. Now you can dictate what kind of service items and schedules you'd like versus having to clean up 71k miles of someone else's possible mess or even just, different approach.

Originally Posted by Linctex
Originally Posted by GumbyJarvis
This was the other vehicle, it should get you to the 250,000mi mark and have less issues versus the Focus or Kia

https://www.automaxvw.com/used/Volkswagen/2013-Volkswagen-Jetta-b7df5cca0a0e0ae8193ab96a43a8fbf2.htm

That's a good deal.....

I just don't know anything about Volkswagen Diesels other than when they *DO* need to be fixed, it's crazy expensive to get one out of the shop.

These are covered under the extended warranty until 150k or 12 years I belive. So they wont be bad at all to get out of the shop

With the warranty and you being able to pick up the maintenance at only 17k, I'd get the Kia.
Plus you got the car info from a friend.

I think you are very wise in not opting for all the "high tech" stuff.
thumbsup2.gif

IMO neither one.

The TDI posted isn't a bad deal, it is low mileage, one owner and no accident history reported. If thats actually a VW dealer it should be CPO and have some warrantees... Yes if you mis-fuel it you're in for a big bill. That one is new enough it should have the updated HPFP, which was the only really worrisome part of it.

If you are willing to work at it you can get amazing deals on New VW's, You can probably buy a Jetta S brand new for under 15,000 with a manual... The 19 models have an 6 speed m or 8 speed auto (Aisin) and the little 1.4T makes torque so low it feels much faster than the 147HP suggest. 6 year 72,000 warranty. I realize if you can't swing 15,000 it doesn't matter, but if you can at least go look at one and drive it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back