oil recommendation - '19 Ford Escape 1.5L ecoboost

Status
Not open for further replies.
Giving this thread another life. A friend of mine has a 12 Fusion with a 1.6t ecoboost engine, only 5w20 used by the dealer. The engine is dead at 80k miles, some failure of the 2nd cylinder

Giving this thread another life. A friend of mine has a 12 Fusion with a 1.6t ecoboost engine, only 5w20 used by the dealer. The engine is dead at 80k miles, some failure of the 2nd cylinder

The 1.6EB is apparently one of the more likely to experience an LSPI event along with the 1.0 3 cylinder. Most I've seen broke the piston between the #1 and #2 rings.

The 1.6EB is apparently one of the more likely to experience an LSPI event along with the 1.0 3 cylinder. Most I've seen broke the piston between the #1 and #2 rings.
The Motorcraft 5w20's in syn and syn-blend are SN+. So is an LSPI event just bad design, or maybe the Motorcraft oil just not good enough?

Most of the online reports for 1.6EB issue suggest a coolant issue which caused some type of overheat condition, prompting a recall for some of them?

The Motorcraft 5w20's in syn and syn-blend are SN+. So is an LSPI event just bad design, or maybe the Motorcraft oil just not good enough?

Most of the online reports for 1.6EB issue suggest a coolant issue which caused some type of overheat condition, prompting a recall for some of them?

One theory is a low octane mixture of oil and fuel vapors being pushed into the crevice between the wall and piston and self igniting early in the cycle. Another is the "Isolated Stars" theory of small nodes of it scattered across the chamber each self igniting as pressure ramps up with each event. I don't.know that anyone has conclusively proved anything other than minimal sodium and reduced calcium seem to correlate with long term reduction in events and some engine designs are more prone than others for unknown reasons.

The easy fix is to lower low rpm torque output but that kind of defeats the purpose of having TGDI in the first place.

Funny this thread was revived, the car I was asking about initially just got a short block under warranty. Burning coolant, not oil related. I sent out a sample of the RGT 5W-20 that was in it when I noticed the coolant loss, and the wear metals looked good. New engine will be on the same diet as the original.

See UOA HERE

Last edited:
Funny this thread was revived, the car I was asking about initially just got a short block under warranty. Burning coolant, not oil related. I sent out a sample of the RGT 5W-20 that was in it when I noticed the coolant loss, and the wear metals looked good. New engine will be on the same diet as the original.

See UOA HERE
Doesn't it show high wear metals and no glycol in the oil, as said in your linked thread?

Clearly if this friend had used 5w50, that wouldn't have happened.

:unsure:

Escape’s are known for multiple issues, I owned an 08 Ford Escape XLS and ended up having every issue in the world wrong with it. I’ve talked to others who have had similar issues. I’d recommend trading it in for something else if possible.

Doesn't it show high wear metals and no glycol in the oil, as said in your linked thread?
Well, I should have said wear metals looked "relatively good to me" when considering it was still a fairly new engine. It's consistent with what I'd expect to see from an engine with 9k miles of short trip and in town driving.

I don't think those elevated numbers had anything to do with 5W-20 being used. I could be wrong, but the only sure way to tell would be to take several samples of different grades of oil from a well-broken-in engine.

I won't own this car long enough to see the long-term effects of it so I'll just stick by the book at this point.

Clearly if this friend had used 5w50, that wouldn't have happened.

:unsure:
Hard to say if that was sarcasm or not, also hard to say if the failure was oil-related. From what he's told me, a mechanic at that dealer said they've got a lot of ecoboost engines failed. Some even didn't make it to 50k. I'm not qualified to judge the engine design really, sticking to my Kia which also know for engine-related problems, but has a 10 years powertrain warranty so I can sleep well

Last edited:
My daughters '17 1.5L Escape has been run with mostly Pennzoil Ultra 5W-20. 47,000 miles and going strong. No coolaint problems so far. OCI's at 5,000 miles with Motorcraft, Mann and Mahle oil filter. Vehicle came with a tight/close fitting thick rubber engine cover. I always thought it was holding in too much heat so I removed it within a few months. Maybe removing it helps reduce heat. Engine noise might be a tad higher but nothing really. BTW this vehicle other than the oem Michelin Latutude Tour HP wearing evenly but gone by before 40,000 miles has been 100% flawless. Oopss forgot a sqeaky inside door handle.....

Last edited:
My daughters '17 1.5L Escape has been run with mostly Pennzoil Ultra 5W-20. 47,000 miles and going strong. No coolaint problems so far. OCI's at 5,000 miles with Motorcraft, Mann and Mahle oil filter. Vehicle came with a tight/close fitting thick rubber engine cover. I always thought it was holding in too much heat so I removed it within a few months. Maybe removing it helps reduce heat. Engine noise might be a tad higher but nothing really. BTW this vehicle other than the oem Michelin Latutude Tour HP wearing evenly but gone by before 40,000 miles has been 100% flawless. Oopss forgot a sqeaky inside door handle.....

I've been tempted to remove the engine cover on our Ecoboost Escape. After it was removed did you see a temp change ?

I've been tempted to remove the engine cover on our Ecoboost Escape. After it was removed did you see a temp change ?
Didn't notice a difference on the temp gauge but I have to believe the airflow over the valve cover is greatly increased without the cover. As you know from your own vehicle it is quite a cover. MIght help for emissions getting engine to operating temp..and maybe a bit engine/injector noise. I will keep it off just in case it helps even a little bit with temp. Makes me feel better in either case LOL

Didn't notice a difference on the temp gauge but I have to believe the airflow over the valve cover is greatly increased without the cover. As you know from your own vehicle it is quite a cover. MIght help for emissions getting engine to operating temp..and maybe a bit engine/injector noise. I will keep it off just in case it helps even a little bit with temp. Makes me feel better in either case LOL

I'm going to get my infrared thermometer and do a little test this summer and see if I can find a difference 😉

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back