2018 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Status
Not open for further replies.
Picked up a new ride today. A worthy replacement for my 2012 Giant Defy 2.

A reward for the weight loss. A brand new last years model is now in my bike garage. Ultegra and disc brakes. Gonna break it in tomorrow on the weekly MAMIL ride to a local diner.

[Linked Image]

Edited to say the title should say Expert, not Elite, DOH!

Last edited:
Seemed to be the big thing last year, or maybe the year before. They are hydraulic as well. There was a big warning sticker that the brakes may not work when the bike is upside down.

If the bike is upside down, I'm well past needing to use the brakes, LOL

Originally Posted by E150GT
Nice. I didn't know they put disc brakes on road bikes.

Originally Posted by javacontour
Seemed to be the big thing last year, or maybe the year before. They are hydraulic as well. There was a big warning sticker that the brakes may not work when the bike is upside down.

If the bike is upside down, I'm well past needing to use the brakes, LOL

Originally Posted by E150GT
Nice. I didn't know they put disc brakes on road bikes.

It's because the hydraulic brakes are open systems with the reservoir in the levers at the highest point. Flipping a bike upside down for and extended period might allow a small amount of air to migrate to the caliper and thus make the first pull of the brake lever once right side up not be effective. 99% of the time this would be likely to never happen, however as a former bicycle industry employee, I can tell you it only takes one idiot to do something stupid and sue to make every company put some warning sticker on their product. I have no doubt this idiot probably left their bike upside down for an extended time, then grabbed their bike and took off only to find that the first time they pulled on the hydraulic brakes, they didn't stop the bike and they probably crashed and severely injured themselves...

Nice ride many like them I took a Sworks out for a ride nice you ever think about ridding clipless

Originally Posted by Bud
Man that seat looks painful.

That seat looks to have a bunch better support than on my mountain bike, and mine is WAY more comfy than the thing that came on a BossTwo (Costco bike) which is a buttsore after 5 minutes. Looks can be deceiving.

I do, that was literally right from the bike shop. I already had SPD pedals. Yes, I ride SPD on a road bike as mt bike shoes fit me better than road shoes.

I did 75 miles on it over the past two days. It's a more comfortable ride than my 2012 Giant Defy 2. It fits me much better.

The upgrades to CF and Ultegra are pretty nice.

A narrow seat is more comfortable as you have your weight supported in the right places on the smaller seats.

It is counterintuitive, but I find it to be true.

Originally Posted by Dyusik
Originally Posted by Bud

That seat looks to have a bunch better support than on my mountain bike, and mine is WAY more comfy than the thing that came on a BossTwo (Costco bike) which is a buttsore after 5 minutes. Looks can be deceiving.

Originally Posted by javacontour
A narrow seat is more comfortable as you have your weight supported in the right places on the smaller seats.

It is counterintuitive, but I find it to be true.

Originally Posted by Dyusik
Originally Posted by Bud

A seat made for your sit-bone distance is best. Though I think too little padding isn't that comfortable also, as I forget the model Specialized saddle I have on my road bike... the padding is no where enough for long distances.

I rode one of those in Expert or S-Works form when I helped a friend run a weekend sale at his shop. That Future Shock takes a little getting used to. Still, I liked it, and it feels better than the old Zertz-equipped Roubaix.

I have arthritis in my left shoulder and usually after about 30 or so miles, I would really feel it.

This bike was more comfortable. We did about 45-46 miles on Saturday and I was starting to get some pain at the end, but still nothing like before. Probably some of it was better fit. But the 20mm of shock absorbing couldn't have hurt either.

I'm calling it a win.

Originally Posted by nthach
I rode one of those in Expert or S-Works form when I helped a friend run a weekend sale at his shop. That Future Shock takes a little getting used to. Still, I liked it, and it feels better than the old Zertz-equipped Roubaix.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back