Warranty useless? (long)

Lemon law is for problems that have had repeated attempts at repair.

So far Ford has told him "no problem exists", and no repair attempts to date.

Originally Posted by 2009Edge
Trade it

The amount of money OP is going to lose on a trade in will probably be more than a new transmission. Small cars aren't exactly selling now. I would not even consider it as an option until getting it repaired under warranty fails.

I can't trade it, it is 7 months old. I would lose over 12k on it. And yes they said they weren't able to verify my claims that it isn't shifting properly. Even though I do know they flashed it twice, I do not have that on paper. What I DO have is that it does lurch forward on shifts but not enough to throw a code. So I do at least have something from dealer #2, both dealers were local to me by the way.

You may already be burned out on this experience, but I wonder if you have broken engine/trans mount(s) & that is where the harshness is coming from?
Maybe have an independent shop look for those then Lemon Law it back in Ford's lap.

My Dad had the same car & trans. Had the trans out of the car 3 times under warranty. Would work fine for a few weeks after repair, then same issues you have would start all over again.
He traded it on a new Escape, because the Ford dealer was the only dealer that would give him anything for the Focus. The Honda, Toyota etc dealers did not want that car.
I think those trans are a bad design, and can never be made right. I would take the hit and trade it on something with a good reliability score, and at least have peace of mind, even with the bigger payment.
I don't understand why they are giving you such lousy service, other than maybe frustration at the thousands of Foci they have had to repair. There is a class action lawsuit, maybe check into that as well.

I can understand your frustration.
There is a serious problem with your car. You know it, the dealers who've seen it know it and Ford knows it.
What you get as a response is "nah, nothing wrong it's fine".
It appears that the dealers that you've taken the car to as well as Ford are well aware of how lemon laws actually work.
They deny that there was any problem with your car, so they made no attempt to fix it, even if they did an undocumented re-flash.
Since there was no problem they couldn't attempt to fix it so there is no lemon law case to be made.
Sleazy, dirty and mean, but there you are with your messed up new car.
Maybe some sleazy, dirty and mean attorney will bring a class action against Ford for what appears to be common issues with these units?
I work with a woman who has one of these cars. She reports the same clunky transmission operation. She takes it back to the dealer regularly for "repair", probably a reflash and it acts fine for a while.
For those who value fuel economy, it might be wise to pay a bit more for an HEV offering from Honda or Toyota and end up with better fuel economy with fewer issues.

Originally Posted by 71Chevyguy
Wow thank you for all the responses so quickly. I am doing my best to document everything. Have about 5 pages of notes about visits, phone calls, etc. I did call the Ford number in my manual and they were the ones that gave me a case number and were of no further assistance. They said my buyback request was denied. I never made a request, I said I want it fixed, replaced or bought back if those aren't successful. Then again Ford customer service is in India and there is a language barrier there. I think it is pretty sad when the manufacturer tells you that they won't help you till you are stranded out on the road somewhere. I am looking into the lemon law, but I live in WV and purchased the vehicle in Boston MA since they were the only ones around who had the vehicle color/options combination I was looking for. So not sure if the MA or WV lemon laws apply? The laws in MA don't look to be very favorable at all. It is indeed the 6F15 and not the DCT, that is why I bought it and it seems this one isn't any better.

what no one has mentioned is this.. Get yourself an attorney! Seriously! I had a lemon before and the automaker wouldn't even talk to me, kept putting me off, "stone-walling" me. Once I got an attorney, oh look at that, the auto company's legal dept actually started to do something!

I had them buy back the vehicle and had a check for my troubles in TWO weeks!

So stop screwing around with the overseas DO NOTHING people! Get an attorney involved, see how fast Dearborn calls you back! and you get rid of it!

Well, Dearborn has attorneys as well, both on staff and on retainer from name brand firms.
As I pointed out above, the OP has no lemon law case either. The dealers and Ford appear to have been careful to avoid that.
It may be that an actual filing will move Ford to part with a couple dozen or so grand to avoid having to litigate the case, but the OP would be dollars ahead
just driving the car until it can't be driven and letting Ford fix it under warranty, since they'd then be unable to deny that there was a problem.
The OP is in an unenviable position that illustrates why so many people avoid domestic nameplates.

For the shifting, I would ask to go on a test drive with the tech to show him exactly what you're experiencing. You need to be able to duplicate the condition for them to be able to repair it.

As for the steering wheel, that's an easy one. If another Fiesta sitting on the lot heats the entire wheel and yours doesn't...

Something to try. Put a higher Octane fuel in it. All 3 manufacturers are trying for 91 minimum octane to solve their problems. They claim vehicles will be more efficient and better fuel economy as well. Problem is customers don't want to pay the difference in fuel prices. There also claim fuel costs will go down as 91 becomes the norm. My personal experience is on 89 octane my Caravan is smoother as well as quieter. An example is going on overpass from a stop it acts like a standard transmission you started in 3rd in econ mode but in 89 it is smooth as glass as you never feel it shifting. I tried this cause as a master tech retired I know games dealer plays so I avoid them unless codes are present.

It's too bad you didn't get the MT. We've had pretty good luck with Ford cars, trucks, and dealers over the years. It just varies a lot depending on the dealer. In our area the Toyota/Subaru dealer is really bad.

Used the NH Lemon Law on a 94 GMC jimmy that was just over 2 years old, not quite happy with what We got but then were done with ABS problems. Family lawyer some time some after said he got full selling price for a client so this is possibly a good way to go. One suggestion on here was to check motor mounts this is good advice. Also disconnecting the battery for a half hour or so then reconnecting will reboot back to factory which may help although it seems others have stated this a problem child.

Ok, couple things that you should be concerned with here...

They said it has a new drive train, well, congratulations!! You are the test. You bought a car that will be going through a "growing up faze", it'll be cutting its teeth with YOU. They don't know what to do with it, they don't know exactly what is wrong and they don't know how to fix it. Now at the factory they are gathering this type of info, testing and making improvements for next year's model. As for you? You're stuck, but this is what you can do.

Document. Continue to take it to the dealer and document the history. That way when it does fail they MIGHT cover you when it's out of warranty.

Trade it in. Get rid of it, you bought a first year of a new drive train car, it'll never be right, get rid of it now.

I agree. The old adage of never buying a first year model is true.

This is 100,000 times more true when it comes to Ford.

Take it from a Ford owner who has bought a new vehicle from them: No other company is more experienced in dumping some science project out in the street and then weaseling their way out of warranty work.

It's not that Ford has done this alot. In recent decades, Ford has had to do this with almost every new model they introduced. Ford has just gotten that bad.

Their dealerships are so experienced in blowing people off on warranty work that it's become second nature.

Ford doesn't make the worst vehicles. But they are #1 at living in denial when a problem materializes.

Sorry to hear about your issues. It's a horrible situation when no codes are present. a dealer service department can't duplicate the concern and has no experience with it. If they kept it for a month and drove it 3000 miles they might catch it, but with no codes or nothing obviously broke? You're in the same boat.

Ford really uses a system called forscan? I'd be a little squeamish around that one.

Last edited:
You guys need to stop blaming the dealerships. They don't perform charity work so if the vehicle isn't throwing codes they're not just going to throw parts at the car.

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
You guys need to stop blaming the dealerships. They don't perform charity work so if the vehicle isn't throwing codes they're not just going to throw parts at the car.

I would agree with you only if the vehicle drove normally and had the issue intermittently which would be hard to duplicate. But when you have a transmission that shifts very roughly and surges the vehicle during shifts all the time, having no codes is simply just an excuse.
In this particular case, the dealer is 100% at fault, no need to defend them. They relay the information to corporate and they know what to say to approve a work order, they simply don't want to help OP.

Last edited:

Imagine what it would be like if cars didn't have computers or computers couldn't tell you everything wrong with a car...how could anyone possibly fix one?

Originally Posted by ABursell

Imagine what it would be like if cars didn't have computers or computers couldn't tell you everything wrong with a car...how could anyone possibly fix one?

Yup, back in the day mechanics were simply throwing parts at problems since the didn't have computer generated codes to guide them
lol.gif

Last edited:
Back