Got a new car yesterday

Status
Not open for further replies.
Scored a 2012 Camry SE for $8,200. 56,000 miles, a little damage above the wheel well from a parking pole. Some paint transfer but nothing a little paint and pops-a-dent can't fix.

I'm ecstatic. It drives wonderfully and the inside of the oil filler hole is practically shiny new. No wear in the cabin at all.

One owner.

Now to find some 0w20 oil. All I have is 5w30, 5w40, and 10w30
crazy2.gif

You could always use a little duct tape to fix that little damage above the wheel well.
lol.gif

[Linked Image]
lol.gif

Originally Posted by zorobabel
Use the 5W-30 you already have.
Yes. Especially during the summer when cold temperature flow isn't important. There isn't much difference in hot viscosity or wear performance between a 0w20 or 5w30, and these engines do well on either. In fact, many use 0w20 in the winter, and 10w30 or 5w30 in the summer, not a bad idea.

Originally Posted by dishdude
You could always use a little duct tape to fix that little damage above the wheel well.
lol.gif

lol.gif

Wait...that car has body damage??

Where???

lol.gif

[Linked Image]
lol.gif

I literally laughed out loud at this.

What in tarnation happened there?

Congratulations!

Being an old school BITOG'er and not really with the times, is it still a relative thought process that using heavier weight oil in a car with such low miles designated for 0w20 will indeed, "widen the gaps" to produce leaks down the road? Like, using 5w30 now, at such a young age, will I be stuck to 5w30 at 90,000 miles or risk leaks?

Originally Posted by zerosoma
Congratulations!

Being an old school BITOG'er and not really with the times, is it still a relative thought process that using heavier weight oil in a car with such low miles designated for 0w20 will indeed, "widen the gaps" to produce leaks down the road? Like, using 5w30 now, at such a young age, will I be stuck to 5w30 at 90,000 miles or risk leaks?

Leaks will come from aging seals, plugged PCV and not from running a barely heavier oil. An ILSAC 5W-30 and a light one at that (talking about the Havoline synthetic) is not that far off from a 5W-20. IMO using a xW-30 vs xW-20 will reduce piston ring wear with the same brand/model oil.
If it was my car here in SoCal, I'd run a 10W-30 synthetic without a second thought.

I drove a 2011 Camry off the lot new. Oil changes for the first 20k miles were free. After that I used Castrol 10w-30 for a year or two. I went back to 0W-20 and sold it at around 130,000 on the odometer. It never used oil during it's stay with me and 10k oil change intervals. Lost 3-4 mpg while using 10w-30 but other than that no issues. It was the 2.5 4cylinder, and drove it's entire life in Texas.

lol.gif

[Linked Image]
lol.gif

We call that Alabama chrome.

"I drove a 2011 Camry off the lot new. Oil changes for the first 20k miles were free. After that I used Castrol 10w-30 for a year or two. I went back to 0W-20 and sold it at around 130,000 on the odometer. It never used oil during it's stay with me and 10k oil change intervals. Lost 3-4 mpg while using 10w-30 but other than that no issues. It was the 2.5 4 cylinder, and drove it's entire life in Texas."

Lost 3-4 mpg with 10-30w? Seriously?

Originally Posted by zerosoma
Scored a 2012 Camry SE for $8,200. 56,000 miles, a little damage above the wheel well from a parking pole. Some paint transfer but nothing a little paint and pops-a-dent can't fix.

I'm ecstatic. It drives wonderfully and the inside of the oil filler hole is practically shiny new. No wear in the cabin at all.

One owner.

Now to find some 0w20 oil. All I have is 5w30, 5w40, and 10w30
crazy2.gif

5W30 is fine for that engine. Imagine 10W30 in the summer works well too.
Save the 5w40 for the lawnmowers.

That 2.5 is a solid engine! I'm not a fan of the 0w20, though. Stick to a thin 5W30. I haven't run in to any issues with the Toyota's throwing VVT codes due to oil weight, but they do NOT like being run low. Keep an eye on the level and you'll be all set!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back