how is Motorcraft Syn blend

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its not worth the asking price from the dealer or off the shelf. A better full synthetic is a few steps away on the same isle and close to the same price. If they stocked motorcraft full syn on wm shelves for the same price as the others i would still chose another oil.

Originally Posted by GaryPoe
Its not worth the asking price from the dealer or off the shelf. A better full synthetic is a few steps away on the same isle and close to the same price. If they stocked motorcraft full syn on wm shelves for the same price as the others i would still chose another oil.

Its a brand loyalty thing at this point. Like Coke or Pepsi. Someone gets a good feeling when a Ford Product is in their engine and they support Ford. It is not a bad product and you can't go wrong with it.
Ford bets their warranty on it - Must be good for those EcoBoost engines.

5w20 full synthetic 5,300 miles on oil. They can keep it.

20190531_132243.jpg

Based on a collection of UOAs on one of the Mustang boards (I've posted that data a few times), the Motorcraft synthetic blend looked to shear down quite a bit, at least in the Ford modular engine with lots of cam chains.

At Walmart it's now almost $20/5qt jug, at Auto Zone it's almost $30/5qt jug
crazy2.gif
. There are a lot of synthetic oils available for less, are they better I don't know. My wife's Ford dealer uses the cheapest unknown conventional oil for their oil changes. If you want a "synthetic blend oil" they charge extra. They won't say that the blend is Motorcraft or not. Having an Ecoboost engine and running the iOLM to the end, approximately 10,000 mi in our case, with conventional or even a blend does not inspire confidence for engine longevity much past the warranty. Using much shorter OCI's would help though. For the DYI group with synthetic oils being on sale and with rebates so often it makes it cheaper vs using a conventional or syn-blend. I've been paying ~$11/5qt jug for Mobil 1 5W-30 with their rebates for the last couple of years.

Whimsey

I've run it in my 14 Mustang GT for almost 6 years and the car still runs fine and if you look inside the oil fill cap, it's as clean as can be. I'm sure there is better stuff out there but I ran it during the warranty period and just kept using it.

My fiancee has used it in her 2007 Mustang GT for the past 9 years without issues.

No one has proved to me yet that any name brand oil makes an engine last longer than another name brand oil. I have a friend who has a 98 chevy truck with the 5.7 and he has over 400,000 miles on it using TropArtic and the engine has not been rebuilt.

I'm not impressed by it myself. I've seen it shear down and do poorly in performance applications as well.

Originally Posted by Donald
Whats the cost? If NAPA synthetic on sale is cheaper (probably is) why not go that route?

If any meeting spec oil is on sale or costs the least there is no reason to use anything else. But everyone has preferences.

Originally Posted by MetalSlug
Any one know how much dino % and syn % on this blend ? thanks

*I recall 40% being Synthetic - a highly regarded oil back in the SM rating days ...

Kendall GT-1 is the same formulation (ive read) but has the titanium adtv to go with it. Ford chose the lowest bidder like everyone else to put their name on the bottle. Thats the only selling point, it says Ford. Im a die hard Ford guy, but slapping a label on a bottle of mediocre oil that just barely passes requirements is less than desirable in my point of view. I like oil that states "exeeds requirements" for some reason. Is it just me?

Originally Posted by GaryPoe
Its not worth the asking price from the dealer or off the shelf.

Originally Posted by Whimsey
At Walmart it's now almost $20/5qt jug, at Auto Zone it's almost $30/5qt jug
crazy2.gif

Agreed. It's not the most cost conscious purchase. For people buying based on pricing, Motorcraft brand motor oil will not be an option.

Originally Posted by ford46guy
Ford bets their warranty on it -

You could probably use anything, low grade bare bones minimum, and the engine won't blow up within the 1st 5 years or 60,000 miles.

Originally Posted by wtd
No one has proved to me yet that any name brand oil makes an engine last longer than another name brand oil.

Agreed.

For decades, I've seen the city's fleet get oil from a drum. The oil filters came on a pallet. Purchase contract specifies that oil & filter must meet OEM spec grade. From there, it's whatever the process is to award the contracts to various bidders. We'll assume that every city vehicle is driven hard, abused, and no city worker cares about the car they are driving. Parks & rec, public works, school district, police, fire, building inspectors........I've never seen a blown engine, because the filter and/or oil was bad. Even in a police car, under pursuit conditions, those engines never melted and the filters never burst under load.

Expected service life is 5 years, where these cars have hundreds of thousands of miles. Other things go wrong. Transmissions. Brakes. Steering. Water pump. Thermostat. Door latches. Seat belt buckles. Driver seat mounting brackets. Fuel pump. Fuel filter. Emissions components. Paint fading & peeling. Multi-function switches. Door unlock latch handles. HVAC system. Suspension. You name it. It breaks. But never an engine meltdown because of cheap oil & filters.

I bought 6 quarts, once, because it was on clearance. Motorcraft brand oil is only for the guys who wear Ford t-shirts, ball caps, and belt buckles. No reason to buy it purely from a technical standpoint. While it's good oil, it doesn't stand out in any way to make it better than other oil. No reason to buy it purely from an economic standpoint. The only time my Ford gets Motorcraft is if they send me an oil change coupon in the mail.

Originally Posted by kstanf150
I'm a die hard Ford guy
I don't use MC oil
Better oil out there for same or less money

I'm sure you know that the only thing that's Ford regarding Motorcraft is the Ford logo on the label.

If you watched Ford's testing you will notice the testing and engineering the engine is meant to last well beyond the warranty period. I have no idea how this bunk narrative was started here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back