Hemi 5w20 choice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Best choice for severe service on a 2019 5.7. It's a daily driver but being in the fire department I'm often cold starting and working it hard (up to 80mph within 3 minutes of start) for responding for the FD. Motor calls for 5w20, I live in NH so cold winters will be a factor

I'm running M1 EP 0w-20 in mine. It's majority PAO-based, which means low VII dosing and excellent cold temp performance.

I used what was on sale. It really did not gain or lose any preformance over using any off the shelf motor oil. I often chose Kendall synthetic because it was 2.99 a quart.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
I'm running M1 EP 0w-20 in mine. It's majority PAO-based, which means low VII dosing and excellent cold temp performance.

I'd recommend that same for you.

Dodges have been kind of fragile lately - -
I don't think I'd start one cold and then "haul tail" up to 80 mph without expecting to experience some major failure after a couple years.

Red Line 5w20 to prevent imminent failure recommendation coming in 3,2,1...

I would run M1 5w20 EP in that use if it was mine and I was running the full OLM changes, but I'm not sure that Super Tech Synthetic 5w20 D1G2 wouldn't do just fine either.

Originally Posted by FlyNavyP3

I would run M1 5w20 EP in that use if it was mine and I was running the full OLM changes, but I'm not sure that Super Tech Synthetic 5w20 D1G2 wouldn't do just fine either.

Sorry owned two and maintain a handful meeting spec motor oil is better than needed.

Perhaps an engine block heater would be a good investment along with good winter weight motor oil. I've lived in N.H. so I know what a cold winter feels like. Good luck.

Come to BITOG where the in crowd argues to run spec oils against other strong recomendations, until they feel spec's don't matter. lol? Lots of clown moves in this thread, at least tell him m1 doesn't meet hemi specification ms6395 first? As long as we are not recomending spec oils consider ditching the 5w20 and run 5w30. FCA can't address the issues with the 5.7 with a higher visc oil like they did with the eco diesel because of CAFE anf the lie that mds requires 5w20. Roughly 1/2 the guys at hemi forum run 5w30 or HIGHER. 5w30 is hemi honey, didn't want to disapoint navy fella. Yes that doesn't meet FCA spec either, like 1/2 the guys in this thread did, but at least I let you know.

Run a god synthetic, would choose a xw-30 in the summer and 0w-20 in the winter. change every 4-5K, oil is cheap.

Originally Posted by burla

Come to BITOG where the in crowd argues to run spec oils against other strong recomendations, until they feel spec's don't matter. lol? Lots of clown moves in this thread, at least tell him m1 doesn't meet hemi specification ms6395 first? As long as we are not recomending spec oils consider ditching the 5w20 and run 5w30. FCA can't address the issues with the 5.7 with a higher visc oil like they did with the eco diesel because of CAFE anf the lie that mds requires 5w20. Roughly 1/2 the guys at hemi forum run 5w30 or HIGHER. 5w30 is hemi honey, didn't want to disapoint navy fella. Yes that doesn't meet FCA spec either, like 1/2 the guys in this thread did, but at least I let you know.

And there you have it.

Type hemi or Redline in a thread topic and just wait.

-------------------

28.gif

I'm not sure I said redline anywhere, but go ahead and put words in my mouth, and attack me personally, INSTEAD OF ADDRESSING THE POST. Any other non spec oils you guys want to recomend that are better then the non spec oil I think is a good choice? Typical BITOG, mean girl crowd wagers personal attacks and no action.

Originally Posted by PimTac

And there you have it.

And the Red Line doesn't meet any specs but he has no issues recommending it.

Originally Posted by Danno
Just curious why folks here recommend oils that don't have manufacturer required certs for engines still in warranty?

Misguided is why, if you are going to run a non spec oil, mise well make it a non spec weight instead and get something out of it. 20 weights are extremely stable, hardly matters one brand to the next, but if you move to 5w30 there are incredible differences from brand to brand, and more over better film strength at the same time still using a thin oil = good idea for engine having issues like cams and lifters imo. Look for high additives oils with pao base oils is a good idea imo, also go away from the fca running 20 weight in a 390hp v8. The hemi is a dinosuar engine, it is not the modern stuff that thrives with lower weight oils, think hearty slightly heavier oils is a good strategy. That is what FCA did with the other non mds hemi's, run srt high moly 40 weight GtL base oil made in cooperation between FCA and Pennzoil. We also have guys running that in the mds engine 0w40 PUP, many guys on the board's second choice.

Originally Posted by dave1251

And there you have it.

LOL, the point went right over your head David. Try reading it over, the same crowd does nothing all day every day except run around telling everyone to run a spec oil and don't worry about it, unless THEY determine they have a better choice. Obviously any of these oils would meet the spec, they just don't cert it. Funny they say redline doesn't meet spec redline doesn't meet spec, like that dude carrying a lantern saying the english are coming, but yet have no issue recomending oils that aren't spec'd themselves.

And there you have it.

Why wouldn't I? Hemi's are what I deal with everyday with a group of dyi'er's of which some are paid mechanics. The greater question is why do you come to hemi threads when you don't know about them? Just to drop some ad hominem and take off? Exactly what is your experience with hemi's?

Originally Posted by dave1251

Maybe learn to read? English as a second language maybe? He didn't mention Redline.

Originally Posted by JLTD
A solid 0w-30 would be my choice, something like Amsoil, Castrol Edge, maybe M1 afe.

+1 on the 0w-30 I think Pennzoil Platinum would be the choice that meets spec. Are you babying this truck or running it hard if need be?

On a side note: I have the Pentastar engine in my Van, and I was using Pennzoil Platinum 5W-20. Nothing wrong, but the engine was noisier with 5W-20.

I've gone over to 5W-30 and the engine is much quieter. Is that a good or a bad thing. I don't know and I don't care, but I'm going to stick with the 5W-30 going forward. I have one jug of Valvoline Synpower that I'll use for next winter, then it will be only run on 5W-30 or 0W-30.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back