Oil and filter 9000miles trip with 7000lbs trailer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't fuss with an oil change during your trip.

M1 EP 5W-30, Fram Ultra filter, run it the whole trip.

Check oil level regularly, and you are good to go!

Originally Posted by addyguy
Don't fuss with an oil change during your trip.

M1 EP 5W-30, Fram Ultra filter, run it the whole trip.

Check oil level regularly, and you are good to go!

7K in camper weight, plus all the camping gear - all the stuff needed for an extended stay, like clothes, food, camping accessories, plus passengers weights......etc......etc..... means a lot of weight - which means a lot of strain on the engine. You might now be hauling 9K, not 7K.

Your idea to change it when you arrive at your destination is the best M.O. All you need for that 4.5K one way trip is a good 5w30 oil. Then duplicate it with new oil, for the ride back home.

I'm with the recommendations on the M1 EP. If you want to stay in weight spec, maybe consider the M1 EP High Mileage version in 5w-20. The high mileage version has a tiny tad bit higher HTHS while still containing the extended drain interval benefits.

To make a satisfactory decision, I think it really comes down to if you want to change the oil mid trip or not.

Don't change= M1 EP (HM?)

Change mid trip= any quality brand synthetic of your choice will suffice.

I'm also a fan of the Fram Ultra filter.

Originally Posted by DoubleNickels
Originally Posted by PimTac
That is severe service. Why not change the oil at a predetermined point along the way? Towing 7000 pounds over the Rockies is hard work for any engine no matter what the commercials say.

Originally Posted by MagneticFX

I will change oil at 4000-4500 miles thats should be 1/2 of the trip.

Start trip with fresh oil and filter. Change at end of the line before turning back. Change again when you get home.

Then to please everyone, send in samples for analysis.

I would start off with fresh oil and change when you get back home.
Long road trips like that are very easy on the oil, even if towing a trailer.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by kschachn

Who would think that any fluid thickens as the temperature is increased?

You can't change the laws of physics, man.

What is oil viscosity and what impact does this have?
Viscosity is a measure of the resistance of a fluid's flow. The thicker (high viscosity) of an oil, the slower it will flow.

Most oils on the shelves today are "Multigrades", which simply means that the oil falls into two viscosity grades (i.e. 10W-40 etc). In a 10W-40 for example the 10W bit (W = winter) simply means that the oil must have a certain maximum viscosity or flow at low temperature. The lower the "W" number the better the oil's cold temperature performance.

The 40 in a 10W-40 simply means that the oil must fall within certain viscosity limits at 100°C. This is a fixed limit and all oils that end in 40 must achieve these limits. Once again the lower the number, the thinner the oil: for example, a 30 oil is thinner than a 40 oil at 100°C.From Mobil 1

Originally Posted by kschachn
post nothing in return except constant misinformation and useless opinion.

Originally Posted by DoubleNickels
Some believe that motor oil thickens as it heats, whereby reaching that higher viscosity as your engine heats up. If your motor was engineered for low viscosity oil, a thicker grade oil may not flow as well, leaving parts of the engine unprotected.

Are you saying you believe that? Because it's wrong.

I got a great UOA in my '13 F150 5.0 towing a 5500# trailer from Colorado to Ohio. Ran it more than 9000 miles. Oil was Schaeffer 9000 5w-30.

[Linked Image]

That is a great UOA.
Nice slug of moly in the Schaeffer's

So I understand you towed a trailer from Co to Ohio- the drove the rest of the miles unladen?
You didn't put 9K of towing on the rig like the OP is indicating he will.
You dont say exactly where but Denver to Columbus is a downhill tow and only about 1300 miles depending on how you do it.
Not very stressful on the oil.

As everyone indicates - the OP has 2 basic choices

1. Run the rated oil and deal with an oil change as indicated by the OLM mid vacation which is annoying but hardly world-ending.
A topside changer strapped to the back of the cab will allow him to do a simple OCI in about 20 minutes

2. Run a stouter oil and extend until the trip is over and - M1EP or AP are excellent off the shelf choices as are exotics like Amsoil, Redline or any others containing a slug of PAO.

UD

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back