Hole in engine :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by madRiver
Life's best lessons are the most expensive ones.

Yes , and the ones that bite you in the back pocket , are the lessons you tend to remember .

Originally Posted by WyrTwister

Yes , and the ones that bite you in the back pocket , are the lessons you tend to remember .

Agreed with both of you. The thing is, I work on my own cars. I knew better! This was me being stupid for a day.

Originally Posted by thastinger
If that has the single cylinder 18HP Intek engine they are a dime a dozen. I sold my old 2000 model riding mower this Spring, it has the intek 14HP single and I never had one single like of trouble out of that engine, surprised to see that rod thrown like that. Any idea of the hours on it?

No idea on hours. Recently gave it a tune up. New battery, plug, hoses, filters, carb, spindles, and Kenda Scorpion tires.

Originally Posted by Driz
Originally Posted by GumbyJarvis
Originally Posted by Rand
so why are you mad? run it out of oil? no air filter? broken governor?

if it just randomly blew up.. thank it for its service by craiglisting its carcass.. doubt its worth repowering.

Or find a similar model on CL with the same engine that is still in good shape and swap it to this one, theres plenty of mowers out there for sale that the engine still runs but the deck etc is rusted out.

If you are getting rid of it, is there a high school around that has a small engines shop class? Agriculture class? Can always donate it!

People are constantly putting good mowers out for yard sales and Craig's Listing them. They are literally everywhere thanks to Ethanol . Find one that's nice and has compression that won't run or runs badly or surges. The majority only need the carb pulled and a fine wire shoved through the jet to knock out the varnish plug.
I see a local guy near here is fixing and reselling used mowers. I think that's exactly how he finds most of his. Pulling carbs or changing them for the $15 EBay swap out has gotten to be a ritual since they created that corngas.

That corngas gumming up mower carbs has made me a fair amount of money doing the same thing as your local guy! People around here just curb em, i usually have to do a blade sharpen, carb clean, and I clean the unit up. Sell them for cheap, and just like that I made $20-$30 off of someones garbage! Gotta love having more time than money.

I always see these posts about the evils of E10 in OPE and just don't get it. I have a 27 year old mower, a 20 year old lawn tractor, snow thrower and string trimmer and a 15 year old chainsaw all running on E10, in fact that is all we can get here in the EPA non-attainment area in Southeastern Wisconsin. I am not always careful to drain the fuel after each season yet all are still running and none have melted hoses nor any other catastrophic problem.

Why is that?

Yamaha marine had some hose problems blamed on E10 … yet Evinrude did not …
Funny part was they called me to come in for a free hose replacement … not a memo to run E0
Probably just a Procurement issue …

Originally Posted by Matagonka
Originally Posted by WyrTwister

Agreed with both of you. The thing is, I work on my own cars. I knew better! This was me being stupid for a day.

Sorry OP - These things happen and we make mistakes. It doesn't define who you are.

Originally Posted by bullwinkle
Originally Posted by Kruse
Originally Posted by Dinoburner
HF has cheap engines if the machine is worth the expense.

A couple of years ago, I got a 22 HP HF Predator engine for a Kohler Courage engine that created a hole in the block on my zero turn. (The Kohler Courage engine is notorious for that. Google it)
Anyway, I managed to find a coupon to get it for $549 and purchased it. Except if you do the paperwork on it, it's not the bargain that it appears to be.
HF stopped printing the coupons for that engine, as far as I know. It is now at a normal $730 that gets the price up to the "American-branded" engines.
First, the HF engine has only a 90 day warranty, where most B&S engines have at least a year. If you add the extended warranty to the HF engine, the price can be a big turnoff, especially if you listen to the horror stories of getting replacement parts for the HF engine. I no longer consider a Harbor Freight engine cheap, nor a bargain.
B&S still has USA built engines? When I repowered my log splitter & replaced the ancient flathead Briggs that was on it, the local B&S shop wanted DOUBLE the price of the 13 HP Predator I ended up putting on it-and the B&S engine was "Made in China" too!

Nowhere in my post did I say it was American-made, I said it was American-branded. I'm well aware of the COO of a lot of B&S motors. Last I checked, B&S is still based in America. Chinese-made or not, they still have a better warranty than HF.

20W-50 is so thick, it won't flow out the hole. Maybe add some Lucas.

….isn't that the thinking here?

Originally Posted by GumbyJarvis
Maxlife. It has seal swellers.

Won't patch a hole.
You could try cleaning the area and doing a JB Weld application(s). You got nothing to lose.

Last edited:
Super Glue it and seal with Duct Tape.
thankyou2.gif

Seriously now, is there a chance you could find another just like it.... that way you make-use of all the parts just purchased?

Linctex
Waco, TX
I have fixed busted mower engine blocks, FAR worse than that. Make a metal patch and epoxy it on.
Heh Heh. yep My brother, stole a piston + rod from dead Vertical shaft and patched crack with aluminum flashing to get 3.5 KW generator going during blizzard of '78. His 7th grade science project was assembling and disassembling an old 3hp B+S.
grin2.gif

Is that correct? 8570 posts in three years here....wow.

I hadn't even touched a screwdriver, wrench or pliers yet in the 7th Grade. Didn't used multiple tools in any home project, not until I married at the age of 20. Basic, necessary tooling is me.

No dad growing up and vested in our home with five sisters. No male mentors, tutors or helpers around. In front of those five sisters were two brothers. Each more than 20 years older than me. Both were married and gone as I reached 3-4 years old. Both fixed our home when it needed work. Both never took the time to teach me.

Life goes on and really no regrets.

I wonder if you could close that hole with on of those brazing rods made for aluminum. I think they were a zinc alloy.

the metal is bent back and not entirely detached?

Tap it back into place with a hammer, clean it REALLY WELL, getting ALL of the oil off, then slather with JB weld....

(and replace the rod...)?

what we can't see is gouged crank bearings, and other internal damage...

Last edited:
Originally Posted by meep
the metal is bent back and not entirely detached?

Tap it back into place with a hammer, clean it REALLY WELL, getting ALL of the oil off, then slather with JB weld....

(and replace the rod...)?

what we can't see is gouged crank bearings, and other internal damage...

I'm getting there. Had to park it for a couple of days. Started working on it last night. Need to remove deck and unscrew the bottom bolt to take off engine now. Gettnig close. The rod is definitely gone. If crankshaft is good, I'm rebuilding it.

I found another tractor for 150 on CL for parts. He hasn't answered yet.

PM me if interested in coming to get the LT1000 I have, it would run and mow if it would crank, pretty sure the compression release on the cam is broken. A family member gave me a Troy Bilt so it's more trouble to fix than it's worth to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back