Waterpump - OEM or Aftermarket

Status
Not open for further replies.
98 Expedition 5.4 4x4
Anyone know how the Motorcraft OEM water pumps hold up compared to aftermarket?
I have mine off currently, works fine for now, but thinking since I have it off, I might as well replace it, since I don't know the history of this one (Used engine replacement a couple years back). Also had a problem with transmission fluid in my coolant, so don't know if there are any internal seals that may have been compromised, so I would rather replace than be sorry later.

Not Motorcraft, but when I did the water pump on my truck I used an aftermarket one. has been fine even when towing in summer heat.

I think they have water pumps figured out pretty good.

Get the Motorcraft pump
smile.gif

It is made in Canada
08.gif

Originally Posted by Chris142

The one I just put on yesterday was made in china.

I looked up the specific part number for the OP's 98 Expedition 5.4L
PW-423

Originally Posted by Fitz98
98 Expedition 5.4 4x4
I have mine off currently, works fine for now, but thinking since I have it off, I might as well replace it, since I don't know the history of this one (Used engine replacement a couple years back). Also had a problem with transmission fluid in my coolant, so don't know if there are any internal seals that may have been compromised, so I would rather replace than be sorry later.

Transmission fluid in coolant ? Can not think of any way that is related to the water pump ?

Most / all cars with automatic transmissions have a cooler for the AT fluid . This often is a " device " in the radiator , to transfer excess heat from the fluid to the coolant . There may be a leak there . ( With 2 lines from the AT to the radiator . )

If that is what is happening , I question whether the radiator can be repaired . Either replace the radiator or buy an external ATF cooler to mount in front of the radiator & re-plumb the lines from the AT , to the new external cooler .

But , if you have ATF in the coolant , check the transmission to be sure you do not also have coolant in the ATF . A messed up transmission is much more expensive than the radiator .

To me , this potentially is a MUCH larger issue than your original question .

98 Expedition 5.4 4x4
Also had a problem with transmission fluid in my coolant, so don't know if there are any internal seals that may have been compromised, so I would rather replace than be sorry later.

You need a radiator too. Do not drive like that, and do a total trans flush by changing the filter and draining the torque converter.

My late father in law bought a used tractor that had a Yanmar engine it . Hole in the block .

FIL was a retired mechanic . He rounded up the parts and performed the repair . This left the engine with a hole in the block .

Brother in lay ( his son ) is / was a welder . He found a piece of cast iron close to the desired dimensions , ground it to fit and welded it in place , to fill the hole .

FIL said it still seeped oil , just a little bit , but nothing major . Just keep an eye on the oil level .

OEM or Motorcraft. Even if they are made in China, Ford is still specifying a Japanese-supplied bearing.

Although, I will say this - I've installed a Chinese pump on a friend's Explorer and it's still working. The gasket is leaking, kinda my fault but it's a paper gasket as well.

Originally Posted by WyrTwister
98 Expedition 5.4 4x4

Transmission fluid in coolant ? Can not think of any way that is related to the water pump ?

Most / all cars with automatic transmissions have a cooler for the AT fluid . This often is a " device " in the radiator , to transfer excess heat from the fluid to the coolant . There may be a leak there . ( With 2 lines from the AT to the radiator . )

If that is what is happening , I question whether the radiator can be repaired . Either replace the radiator or buy an external ATF cooler to mount in front of the radiator & re-plumb the lines from the AT , to the new external cooler .

But , if you have ATF in the coolant , check the transmission to be sure you do not also have coolant in the ATF . A messed up transmission is much more expensive than the radiator .

To me , this potentially is a MUCH larger issue than your original question .

I have already dealt with that part is a separate forum post. Now my objective is to replace anything in the cooling system with seals that have been exposed to the transmission fluid in the coolant.

I went with the dealer OEM. I am not sure what pump I took out. Could have been changed by someone else in the past.
Here is a side by side comparison.
OEM has a ring welded to the fins and has 6 fins whereas the other one has no ring and 7 fins.
OEM fins are 9 thousandths longer than other one I took out.
The OEM fins are about 1/4" less in overall diameter
Gauge thickness of the fins is about the same.
The one I took out also has 2 small pieces of casting off of 2 of the bolt holes, OEM does not have that.
This is a replacement motor, so not sure what it came out of, if the water pump is different for the motor I have in there now, or if the one I took out is an aftermarket water pump.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

This is a replacement motor, so not sure what it came out of, if the water pump is different for the motor I have in there now, or if the one I took out is an aftermarket water pump.
Do you think these are the differences between OEM and aftermarket or is it possible the motor I have requires a different pump?

Just answered my own question, bolt holes don't line up, now the question is how do I identify what motor I have to find the matching pump, or how to identify the pump I took out to get the right one.
[Linked Image]

Take the old pump to a brick and mortar auto parts store. Tell them your predicament. Usually, they will pull some water pumps off the shelf and find the right one.
Then ask them what applications it fits. Normally, I'd put an OEM on as a replacement. But if they spend the time to find you the correct one, you might want to go with them, at least this time.

I am an idiot, I need to correct my previous post.
I put the parts fin to fin to check bolt alignment. When I put them stacked on top of each other with both fins down the bolt pattern lines up.
With that being said, my first post showing the comparison would be the actual difference between the one I took out and an OEM.
Sorry for the confusion.

The obvious thing is to try if it fits on your engine. It looks like the main body part is smaller than the original, but it would be very simple to just try it.

last water pump I put on one of my vehicles was a bosch, and then on a different one i think was a gates

put a Carquest brand waterpump on my sister in law's car.

no issues with any of them so far

They are all Chinese made now so I doubt it matters. I just make sure it is warranted for life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back