Tool Review....Underhood Creeper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought this off the Cornwell Truck awhile back, It's a "plain box" Whiteside (A little different but still basically the same) & believe it or not....A little cheaper than what a Whiteside one retails for.

If you work on trucks....Especially lifted or 4WD Dodge/Ford Trucks, It's a life saver! You step-up on it & put your chest/torso on the pad.

Used it today on a 1998 Chevy 1500 which is one of the lowest 1/2 ton trucks around. It's a little tall in it's lowest setting but I have long arms. Getting to the distributor hold down & fuel line nuts was easy.
Taller trucks is where it really shines!

[Linked Image]

Never seen one, but I like it. Every time I work on trucks my calf muscles hurt like a mofo from tiptoeing.

That is sweet. You definitely need one for working on later model trucks.

I have to use a step ladder to reach the oil filter housing on my totally stock 2017 Ram 1500 4x4 with the pentastar and the housing is towards the front of the engine.

Last edited:
never seen one of those. Pretty cool idea. Looks like its pretty handy. Do the other mechanics in your shop ask to burrow it? Looks like a tool you may need to chain up.

Originally Posted by spasm3
Now i could see HF easily copying that, but would there be enough market to be worth it for them.

Anyone who has ever gotten "Mechanic's Back" will be in. Especially anyone over 40. I bet it sells out the first 3 months HF starts carrying it.

A dozen or so years ago, I worked along side a tech at a Ford dealership who had one. I can't remember the brand of his, but he was a guy who was over weight and it was worth the money, at least in his case.
He got his off of a traveling tool truck that appeared every week. As I get older and my back demands more attention, I may have to get one also.

Perfect for getting at those pesky coils and also to reach behind and pull the oil pressure sensor at the back of Chevy LS engines. Perhaps they should advertise it with a young lady in a bikini.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Perfect for getting at those pesky coils and also to reach behind and pull the oil pressure sensor at the back of Chevy LS engines. Perhaps they should advertise it with a young lady in a bikini.
laugh.gif

Not a bad idea.

That's all great and all, but what about neck strain?
I'd at least want something that'll support my head weight while I'm under the hood.

...just sayin'

Nice piece! Where was that then I was doing what seemed like endless camshafts on Suburbans in the early 80's. I went home hunched over many nights.

Former mechanic buddy said they'd often remove the front wheels and drop the vehicle down to ease such work.

I was given a blue plastic shipping/stacking box 5 gallon office water jugs are sometimes delivered in. I've used it under my chest in many a situation.

Brilliant. I bruised my ribs trying to replace the heater core quick-connects on the firewall of my 2001 Chevy. (One replacement just wouldn't go on. I put an old one back after I slipped and banged myself up.)

Originally Posted by Lolvoguy
That's all great and all, but what about neck strain?
I'd at least want something that'll support my head weight while I'm under the hood.

...just sayin'

The thing is, how would one accomplish that without restricting head movement and visibility?

I have been wanting one of these for a long time. I either have to stand on my tire or the tow hooks of my truck.
Anyone have a decent cheap one? I checked HF and didn't find one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back