Hyundai new car oil recommendation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi im in asia where its 27 to 34 degrees celcius all year round. according to the manual, what can i use?

I got api sn oil and acea a3 b4. What oil grade should i use?
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Engine is a 1.6 na port injected engine.

Originally Posted by LotI
According to the manual, anything you want. 5w-30 looks preferred in warmer climes.

Not quite anything. I don't see bacon grease listed.....‚

According to the manual, anything you want. 5w-30 looks preferred in warmer climes.

What about the chart i attached? It looks like 15w-40 or 20w-50 is feasible too. Can anyone confirm this?
Normally do we follow the recommended oil or so long as the specs are met its good enough?

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter

Not quite anything. I don't see bacon grease listed.....‚

Another â™»ï¸

Originally Posted by bernau

What about the chart i attached? It looks like 15w-40 or 20w-50 is feasible too. Can anyone confirm this?
Normally do we follow the recommended oil or so long as the specs are met its good enough?

Considering your climate's temperature range, feel free to run 15w40 or 20w50, as long as it meets manufacturer's specifications. Just be advised that with thicker oils, you will likely experience a mild fuel economy trade-off over running a lighter engine oil.

You may use any oil weight on the chart, because your local temperature is not extremely hot or cold. Be sure that you follow the ACEA spec.

From what I've seen, 5W20 weight will provide adequate lubrication and protection, and allow for better mileage. 5W-20 weight runs in most small cars, and even light duty trucks, across the USA.

You could try all of those motor oil weights, and report back with your progress. Chart everything. Give us as much raw data as possible.

If you mention -50 or even -40 in US for small Hyundai's (especially MPI? I assume it's port injected and not DI) , thinies will send you to jail
lol.gif

Based on availability and cost, you could go for the Shell Helix Ultra 5w40. Those are often on sale there for a decent price.

Thanks, the after sales service person was saying if you use other than shell helix 5w 30, your warranty will be voided.

I have a rather huge stash of rotella and other oils that I hope I can eventually use.

Originally Posted by bernau
Thanks, the after sales service person was saying if you use other than shell helix 5w 30, your warranty will be voided.

I have a rather huge stash of rotella and other oils that I hope I can eventually use.

Your manual will CYA you. I have a Kia 3.8L and like yours, it lists 10w30 as long as I don't go below 0 but goes on to "recommend" 5/20 & 5/30 for best engine performance/mileage.

You should be just fine running 10/30 where you're at.

When it's says api latest (ilsac latest) the oil need to meet both two specs as well as ACEA? Or just api would do?
Can anyone help to interpret the line for 1.6 Mpi please?

This is a rather basic in line four NA car and I'm surprised if it really need such strict requirements.

This is the first time I'm buying a new car, sorry for the confusion. My old Cars don't seem to be so difficult.

Any good quality 5W-30 or 10W-30 will be perfect.

LOTS and LOTS of engines, including Chevrolet 454 (7.4 liter) have run over 200,000 miles while pulling heavy trailers, while running on just plain 5W-30 oil.

I'd run 5 or 10W-30, personally. I run 5W-30 in my year round in my 2.0L Hyundai engine where we range anywhere from 3 degrees C in the winter to 36 degrees C.

Seems like most would use the 30 oils. Why not 5-40 or thicker despite the manual? Any reason for it? Fuel economy?

Reason I'm asking is 90 percent of my stash is 40 weight oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back