HF torque wrench wore out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Chris142
Several years ago when Craftsman was clearancing all the USA made tools to get the Chinese ones in i bought a USA made torque wrench on clearance.
I later found out that the guys on garage journal say it's junk.

My Craftsman 50flb and 150flb torque wrenches are 1960's beam style ones. I trust them.
My modern 250flb "clicker" one was probably good when it was new but I have my doubts about it now. I tried to check it by pulling with a digital scale 1FT from the center of the ratchet and its clicking at least 8% low in it's midrange

Originally Posted by CrAlt
Several years ago when Craftsman was clearancing all the USA made tools to get the Chinese ones in i bought a USA made torque wrench on clearance.

My Craftsman 50flb and 150flb torque wrenches are 1960's beam style ones. I trust them.
My modern 250flb "clicker" one was probably good when it was new but I have my doubts about it now. I tried to check it by pulling with a digital scale 1FT from the center of the ratchet and its clicking at least 8% low in it's midrange

Your calibration technique is wrong. You must apply the force on the handle or the torque will be wrong. There are calibration labs that will do the job correctly.

Originally Posted by redbone3

Your calibration technique is wrong. You must apply the force on the handle or the torque will be wrong. There are calibration labs that will do the job correctly.

Ok I will do the math to get the scale in the handle area. On my 3/8" drive one 1ft is there though. I don't think sending a homedepot wrench out to cal is in the cards for something I use 2 or 3x a year. Would probably cheaper just buy a new one. As a hobbyist the beams get me by.

Would be interesting to have a lab check a 50 year old beam vs a 7 year old $40 husky click wrench though
confused.gif

Originally Posted by redbone3

Ok I will do the math to get the scale in the handle area. On my 3/8" drive one 1ft is there though. I don't think sending a homedepot wrench out to cal is in the cards for something I use 2 or 3x a year. Would probably cheaper just buy a new one. As a hobbyist the beams get me by.

Would be interesting to have a lab check a 50 year old beam vs a 7 year old $40 husky click wrench though
confused.gif

The force must be applied at a 90º angle. A new cheap torque wrench, in my experience, is just as likely to be out of tolerance as an old one.

I just compare it to my old style beam wrench. If its close its close. My newer tekton 1/2 drive torque wrench is very close.

my older AAP brand one with the longer handle is consistantly low but I only use it on lugnuts so I just add 10lb to the setting.

At one time I compared all 3 with a digital torque adapter and they came out where I was expecting them to.

I might add one of those split beam types to my collection but it would be a luxury for what I use them for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back