Hole in engine :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, crap! My 2004 Craftsman LT1000 took its last breath today.
frown.gif

Pi ssed at myself more than the tractor.

IMG_20190530_202508.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted by GumbyJarvis
Maxlife. It has seal swellers.

Ahem, check the hole in the block.

Originally Posted by Matagonka

Ahem, check the hole in the block.

I saw. I think you need a Fram Ultra too. That's the only filter ever made..

I was being sarcastic lol

so why are you mad? run it out of oil? no air filter? broken governor?

if it just randomly blew up.. thank it for its service by craiglisting its carcass.. doubt its worth repowering.

I reused the oil filter after an oil change. The problem is that it was so tight, that when I loosened it dented the filter housing. Didn't think it was a big deal. Well, it started leaking while mowing and it blew.

Stupid decision on my part. I should've known better.

Originally Posted by ls1mike
Does it run still?

Only downhill in neutral.

Originally Posted by Rand

if it just randomly blew up.. thank it for its service by craiglisting its carcass.. doubt its worth repowering.

Or find a similar model on CL with the same engine that is still in good shape and swap it to this one, theres plenty of mowers out there for sale that the engine still runs but the deck etc is rusted out.

If you are getting rid of it, is there a high school around that has a small engines shop class? Agriculture class? Can always donate it!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Dinoburner
HF has cheap engines if the machine is worth the expense.

A couple of years ago, I got a 22 HP HF Predator engine for a Kohler Courage engine that created a hole in the block on my zero turn. (The Kohler Courage engine is notorious for that. Google it)
Anyway, I managed to find a coupon to get it for $549 and purchased it. Except if you do the paperwork on it, it's not the bargain that it appears to be.
HF stopped printing the coupons for that engine, as far as I know. It is now at a normal $730 that gets the price up to the "American-branded" engines.
First, the HF engine has only a 90 day warranty, where most B&S engines have at least a year. If you add the extended warranty to the HF engine, the price can be a big turnoff, especially if you listen to the horror stories of getting replacement parts for the HF engine. I no longer consider a Harbor Freight engine cheap, nor a bargain.

Originally Posted by Kruse
Originally Posted by Dinoburner
HF has cheap engines if the machine is worth the expense.

A couple of years ago, I got a 22 HP HF Predator engine for a Kohler Courage engine that created a hole in the block on my zero turn. (The Kohler Courage engine is notorious for that. Google it)
Anyway, I managed to find a coupon to get it for $549 and purchased it. Except if you do the paperwork on it, it's not the bargain that it appears to be.
HF stopped printing the coupons for that engine, as far as I know. It is now at a normal $730 that gets the price up to the "American-branded" engines.
First, the HF engine has only a 90 day warranty, where most B&S engines have at least a year. If you add the extended warranty to the HF engine, the price can be a big turnoff, especially if you listen to the horror stories of getting replacement parts for the HF engine. I no longer consider a Harbor Freight engine cheap, nor a bargain.
B&S still has USA built engines? When I repowered my log splitter & replaced the ancient flathead Briggs that was on it, the local B&S shop wanted DOUBLE the price of the 13 HP Predator I ended up putting on it-and the B&S engine was "Made in China" too!

I have fixed busted mower engine blocks, FAR worse than that. Make a metal patch and epoxy it on.

Buy a new connecting rod on Amazon for $30, and you are back in business.

Originally Posted by bullwinkle
...........-and the B&S engine was "Made in China" too!

They are merely riding on the coat-tails of their "name" until they go out of business forever.

Chinese air-cooled OHV engines are here to stay. Period.

Originally Posted by Rand

Or find a similar model on CL with the same engine that is still in good shape and swap it to this one, theres plenty of mowers out there for sale that the engine still runs but the deck etc is rusted out.

If you are getting rid of it, is there a high school around that has a small engines shop class? Agriculture class? Can always donate it!

People are constantly putting good mowers out for yard sales and Craig's Listing them. They are literally everywhere thanks to Ethanol . Find one that's nice and has compression that won't run or runs badly or surges. The majority only need the carb pulled and a fine wire shoved through the jet to knock out the varnish plug.
I see a local guy near here is fixing and reselling used mowers. I think that's exactly how he finds most of his. Pulling carbs or changing them for the $15 EBay swap out has gotten to be a ritual since they created that corngas.

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk

And some ST HM 10w30...

I was thinking some Lucas too. Might be too late for Slick 50 though.

If that has the single cylinder 18HP Intek engine they are a dime a dozen. I sold my old 2000 model riding mower this Spring, it has the intek 14HP single and I never had one single like of trouble out of that engine, surprised to see that rod thrown like that. Any idea of the hours on it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back