The 1960's

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't exist in that decade. That looks like the early 60's. According to my dad, the 60's was a more turbulent time than all the petty stuff we cry about today.

There were two 1960s-the pre-Vietnam, pre-Kennedy assassination '60s, and the insane, out of control later '60s of riots, protests, the acceptance of heavy drug use, etc. '60-'63 was more like the '50s than the later years. Or, you can blame it on me, I was born in '64!

Originally Posted by bullwinkle
There were two 1960s-the pre-Vietnam, pre-Kennedy assassination '60s, and the insane, out of control later '60s of riots, protests, the acceptance of heavy drug use, etc. '60-'63 was more like the '50s than the later years. Or, you can blame it on me, I was born in '64!
Agreed, and this definitely had the feel of the pre-assassination/pre-Vietnam era - as you said, like an extension of the '50s. (Although one historian said that Kennedy's legacy included getting the US from ankle-deep to knee-deep in Vietnam.)

Hey, note that the working wife drove the shiny new '62 Impala, whereas her husband settled for a Biscayne or Bel Air.
lol.gif

I was 11 in 63 when JFK assassinated.

I was also a paper boy for very good local Freedom Press paper, so always read and still do.

America Died with JFK, and the SWAMP in DC reved up.

The Dems painted AZ Senator as a war monger, and so LBJ got in again in 64, and reved up Vietnam for really no reason except to funnel money to military complex.

Ford Galaxie 500, Chevy Impala, Pontiac GP, Buick Wildcat, Chrysler 300. All great "affordable cars".

the 50's and '60's: Back when it was fun to walk into a car dealership to see the new models!

Originally Posted by kstanf150
Best part of the 1960's
The big 3 all built some amazing muscle cars !!

And everybody had one in the early 70s but me. I got stuck with a 76 Camero with a 2 speed automatic and 2 barrel. I wasn't much for the road racing personally. I rode around with a buddy who ran a wrecker on the midnight shift. I even saw a guy in the back seat squished there by the tree that pushed him there and was sitting in the drivers seat. Lots of bloody ragged holes where someone got ejected. The old saying "nothing good happens after 2am was true then too Seatbelts weren't cool in the 60s or 70s. Even my cop buddies used to laugh at me for wearin a seatbelt on patrol in the late 70s . Different attitudes back then.
I recall also how [censored] poor the EMT called The Rescue Squad was and was equipped. No pagers for the medics all there was in small places was the horribly loud siren that woke everyone up for blocks. They were more a transport service than life saving operation. No MRI and CT scans were not available except in big hospitals. No Life Flight choppers except in big cities either unless there was a nearby Air Force Base who volunteered their services.
No thanks I'll take today's world . Besides, those newsreels like this were as much a propaganda campaign as anything else. They leave out little things like bomb shelters, subs banging into each other and that ever represent compliment of B52's flying around carrying hydrogen bombs. Then there's all those accidents and crashes involving those things that were mostly kept secret. I'll take today thanks. Besides , a bad day theses days is nothing on TV which may cause some Melennials to freak out, possibly even needing a hug
crackmeup2.gif

I remember a bunch of that stuff.....never saw a wife washing the car with only a bra top....I tell you what!!!! LOL. My grandmother wore gloves well into the 70's in Fayetteville, N.C....and the pill box hat!!! Jackie's style affected almost every woman at that time.

Originally Posted by Schmoe
I remember a bunch of that stuff.....never saw a wife washing the car with only a bra top....I tell you what!!!! LOL. My grandmother wore gloves well into the 70's in Fayetteville, N.C....and the pill box hat!!! Jackie's style affected almost every woman at that time.
That was a bathing suit....
crackmeup2.gif

I lived in Chicago and miss the organized crime of the day. Those guys kept it to themselves and did a good job of not killing bystanders. Every now and then, someone would disappear off the face of the earth -and it was a good reminder of the importance of keeping your nose clean.

I hated getting haircuts though. My barber was a bookie working the factory districts for the Hawthorne races. A haircut could take 45 minutes because he spent more time answering the phone and updating his tab sheet than he spent cutting your hair.

60's music was the best... I mean, you had it all. Roll the dial on the leather clad Zenith and pick whatever you were in the mood for. (70's and 80's was pretty good too but 60's was the best IMO).

Ray

The most violent decade in our history, but it was great to be alive. However, the thing I remember most about the sixties is the POS Dodge Dart V8 I special ordered with a four speed and front disc brakes. Looked like it had been assembled by Hamtramck monkeys. Had twelve or more vehicles since then, all Toyotas or Hondas.

Originally Posted by Yah-Tah-Hey
The most violent decade in our history, but it was great to be alive. However, the thing I remember most about the sixties is the POS Dodge Dart V8 I special ordered with a four speed and front disc brakes. Looked like it had been assembled by Hamtramck monkeys. Had twelve or more vehicles since then, all Toyotas or Hondas.

Was it assembled in Detroit or Windsor? We made some pretty crude cars on Monday mornings and Friday afternoons .....

Originally Posted by Papa Bear
Originally Posted by Yah-Tah-Hey

Was it assembled in Detroit or Windsor? We made some pretty crude cars on Monday mornings and Friday afternoons .....
Assembled at Hamtramck, Michigan plant. Nothing but problems. Finally traded it in on a 67 Toyota Corona. That vehicle had zero problems for the five years I owned it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back