Mobil 1 0w40 vs Pennzoil platinum 0w40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Direct_Rejection
Originally Posted by Dragon44
Originally Posted by kschachn
LOL: calm down just a joke friend

Yeah I've seen your history of making posts that are just jokes.

confused2.gif

D44, I just looked at your post history and did not see anything alarming.

Hopefully you can be patient as you find your voice on Bitog.

I have been lurking here for years and can say Bitog members are rightfully fed up with real trolls.

What makes this board so great in a quirky way is that there is a great mix of really top notch information and a little bit of fun too.

11.gif

Speak for yourself. SMH!!

I like the user name 'Direct Rejection', LOL!

Sorry, back to the topic on hand...not being antagonistic, but I would use the Castrol Edge 0W-40, great product and easy to find.

Originally Posted by addyguy

Sorry, back to the topic on hand...not being antagonistic, but I would use the Castrol Edge 0W-40, great product and easy to find.

Thank you addguy.
I may eventually end up getting a vehicle with a GDI engine after all.
The details of oil fascinate me.

Originally Posted by addyguy

Thank you addguy.
I may eventually end up getting a vehicle with a GDI engine after all.
The details of oil fascinate me.

I'm perfectly happy with my daily driver Camry. GDI I believe has some issues but not 100% certain

Originally Posted by kschachn
LOL: calm down just a joke friend

Yeah I've seen your history of making posts that are just jokes.

confused2.gif

D44, I just looked at your post history and did not see anything alarming.

Hopefully you can be patient as you find your voice on Bitog.

I have been lurking here for years and can say Bitog members are rightfully fed up with real trolls.

What makes this board so great in a quirky way is that there is a great mix of really top notch information and a little bit of fun too.

11.gif

Thanks brother 👠I'm definitely not a troll. There really is some great information on here I love it

All things considered a 0W40 blended by a major blender will not result in a lubercated related failure if changed within factory recommended intervals.

I am staying with PUP 0W-40 (while in warranty) in my 6.2 Hemi. PUP 0w-40 is blended for 6 months or 6,000 mile OCIs (lower starting TBN) while Euro 0W-40 blends usually handle 1 year or 10,000 mile OCIs (higher starting TBN). Just a thought, could PUP 0W-40 be proportionately more geared towards more anti-wear effectiveness with a lesser conflicting detergent package (shorter OCI)? Assuming you believe detergent packages can compete with anti-wear additives early on in an OCI? What do you all think?

The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act (P.L. 93-637) is a United States federal law (15 U.S.C. § 2301 et seq.). Enacted in 1975, the federal statute governs warranties on consumer products. The law does not require any product to have a warranty (it may be sold "as is"), but if it does have a warranty, the warranty must comply with this law. The law was created to fix problems as a result of manufacturers using disclaimers on warranties in an unfair or misleading manner. If Fiat/Chrysler truly limits the only acceptable oil to Pennzoil 0-40 then under this act they would have to provide the Oil free of charge to the end user to meet warranty requirements. I don't think they want that. Maybe a Class Action would settle it. that's why it says recommends not requires.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by mbacfp
I am staying with PUP 0W-40 (while in warranty) in my 6.2 Hemi. PUP 0w-40 is blended for 6 months or 6,000 mile OCIs (lower starting TBN) while Euro 0W-40 blends usually handle 1 year or 10,000 mile OCIs (higher starting TBN). Just a thought, could PUP 0W-40 be proportionately more geared towards more anti-wear effectiveness with a lesser conflicting detergent package (shorter OCI)? Assuming you believe detergent packages can compete with anti-wear additives early on in an OCI? What do you all think?

That depends. There are various Euro specifications. Euro oils in some cars can handle 20k, and those are Low-SAPS oils. It is not just oil, it is engine that oil is in.

Originally Posted by ddown
The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act (P.L. 93-637) is a United States federal law (15 U.S.C. § 2301 et seq.). Enacted in 1975, the federal statute governs warranties on consumer products. The law does not require any product to have a warranty (it may be sold "as is"), but if it does have a warranty, the warranty must comply with this law. The law was created to fix problems as a result of manufacturers using disclaimers on warranties in an unfair or misleading manner. If Fiat/Chrysler truly limits the only acceptable oil to Pennzoil 0-40 then under this act they would have to provide the Oil free of charge to the end user to meet warranty requirements. I don't think they want that. Maybe a Class Action would settle it. that's why it says recommends not requires.

An OEM can't require you to use THEIR parts, including lubricants, under MM, without providing them free of charge. They CAN however, require the product meet a performance spec of their design, which has been the verbiage in some of the FCA manuals and is consistent with that used by other OEM's who have a performance specification like LL-01, MB 229.5, A40....etc.

The problem comes when there's only one oil that meets that spec, which has been the case for a few of them like Ford's WSS spec for 5w-50.

I'd argue A40 is likely a far more robust anti-wear test than MS-12633. Remember, before the FIAT merger, the 0w-40 service and factory fill was indeed a Euro lube, M1 0w-40. PUP SRT 0w-40 was quickly brought to market when the Mobil/Chrysler relationship was terminated by Fiat via the acquisition, who had their own deal with Shell.

Also, there are Euro oils that list MS-12633:
https://www.ravenol.de/en/products/usage/d/Product/show/p/ravenol-ssl-sae-0w-40.html

Originally Posted by OVERKILL

I'd argue A40 is likely a far more robust anti-wear test than MS-12633. Remember, before the FIAT merger, the 0w-40 service and factory fill was indeed a Euro lube, M1 0w-40. PUP SRT 0w-40 was quickly brought to market when the Mobil/Chrysler relationship was terminated by Fiat via the acquisition, who had their own deal with Shell.

Also, there are Euro oils that list MS-12633:
https://www.ravenol.de/en/products/usage/d/Product/show/p/ravenol-ssl-sae-0w-40.html

Great point. Did not know prior factory fill was Euro lube. Thanks.

Originally Posted by edyvw

That depends. There are various Euro specifications. Euro oils in some cars can handle 20k, and those are Low-SAPS oils. It is not just oil, it is engine that oil is in.

How about fuel as another factor ?
Sulfur ?
Ethanol ?

Understood OCI capability is more then just motor oil.

How about fuel as another factor ?
Sulfur ?
Ethanol ?

Sulfur is big thing, but sulfur levels beow 10ppm are fine for that oil. Ethanol is OK, in Europe for example Norway is having (I think) Ethanol on US levels (not sure here difference on oil OCI whether ethanol is corn or cane derived).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back