oil recommendation - '19 Ford Escape 1.5L ecoboost

Status
Not open for further replies.

jagdriver727

Site Donor 2021
Just picked up a new Escape. It has the 1.5L Ecoboost, the manual calls for 5W-20 synthetic in all applications.
Being in central Florida, I was considering a 5W-30.

The car will be used as a daily driver, about 70% in-town and 30% highway.

I plan to follow the OLM, so I figure just about any SN+ spec oil will do just fine, with whatever $3 filters I come across.

As far as I'm concerned, cheaper is better. I will maintain this car by the book but as economically as possible, the minimum that meets the specs. These new cars are effectively disposable with all the electronics, and I do not plan to keep it forever.

That in mind, let's hear some ideas about a good oil/filter combo

Havoline Pro DS from Walmart. It comes in a 6qt. box. Pick your grade. I would be more concerned with keeping an eye on the coolant level with that engine. If you start having to add coolant, head to the dealership as soon as possible.

Originally Posted by getawheel
...the 1.5L Ecoboost, the manual calls for 5W-20 synthetic in all applications.

I'd use 5W-20 from any reputable brand (Castrol, etc)

Your not going by the book of you run 5w30. Stick with the 5w20. It is nonsense to think you need to go up a grade because you live in a hot climate. If that were the case there would be dead cars and trucks littering the roads here in Texas.

Originally Posted by ls973800
Wonder why my son's 2016 Escape with the 2.0 Eco-boost owner's manual says to use 5W30? Why would the 1.5 call for 5W20?

Bigger engine? Less oil capacity? Who knows?

I would use whatever met the Ford spec, but 0W-20 if possible. Some aren't that much "thinner" at temp than a 5W-30 anyways...

The 1.0l and 1.5l Ecos call for 5w20. The rest for 5w30, I believe. Maybe due to pumping losses on the smaller engines having more impact. Maybe neither of those engines allow for towing?

Stay with OEM spec oil weight. Important that your oil meets the current Ford spec because of predetonation. Brand doesn't matter for you, so buy based on pricing. There may be conventional oil at a lower price, which meets Ecoboost spec. Your oil life monitor will alert you to change your oil.

Your car is probably equipped with the FL910S filter. 3/4 - 16 thread pitch. 3" diameter. It's basically a smaller version of the FL400S. Most new Ford's now use the small FL500S or FL910S. On some cars, a short canister is essential because a longer filter can bottom out and break off. If fitment allows, you can use the FL400S, AC Delco PFL400A, or other cross reference filters. Some of these filters can be found at very low prices online. I just bought Bosch Work Shop for about $2.50, and did not have to buy a whole case.

Originally Posted by Bud
Your not going by the book of you run 5w30. Stick with the 5w20. It is nonsense to think you need to go up a grade because you live in a hot climate. If that were the case there would be dead cars and trucks littering the roads here in Texas.

I've been rethinking that-- if I intend to go by the book, 5W-20 is the only choice. I do not know about these Ecoboost engines, have no reason or evidence to think that another grade will be better in any respect, so that is probably what I will run. Ford certainly spec'd 5W-20 for a reason. I'm just used to working on old stuff, from before xx-20 was nearly as common.
Wonder why my son's 2016 Escape with the 2.0 Eco-boost owner's manual says to use 5W30? Why would the 1.5 call for 5W20?

I was wondering about that. My manual states to use 5W-30 in the 2.0Land 2.5L, and 5W-20 in the 1.5L.

Ford also prints different manuals for different markets. In some manuals, you will see Ford recommends Castrol. Some manuals say Motorcraft. Some manuals suggest BP fuel. My gas cap says BP. All paid marketing. Some manuals suggest 0W-20 as an alternative.

Last edited:
Since you bought a new truck and are worried about a few dollars on oil and filter, go to Walmart and get the Supertech synthetic 5w20 and a supertech oil filter and away you go
I meant Escape not truck

Last edited:

Ford is trying to get there average fleet fuel economy up to satisfy the EPA.

Last edited:
Our local Ford dealer charges $30 for an oil change with Motorcraft oil, filter, and tire rotation. That's close to the price of doing it yourself and a lot faster.

Originally Posted by Bud

Not to mention the torture testing is done here or near Death Valley and it's a lot hotter here in summer vs mild Florida.

Originally Posted by DoubleNickels
Stay with OEM spec oil weight. Important that your oil meets the current Ford spec because of predetonation. Brand doesn't matter for you, so buy based on pricing. There may be conventional oil at a lower price, which meets Ecoboost spec. Your oil life monitor will alert you to change your oil.

Your car is probably equipped with the FL910S filter. 3/4 - 16 thread pitch. 3" diameter. It's basically a smaller version of the FL400S. Most new Ford's now use the small FL500S or FL910S. On some cars, a short canister is essential because a longer filter can bottom out and break off. If fitment allows, you can use the FL400S, AC Delco PFL400A, or other cross reference filters. Some of these filters can be found at very low prices online. I just bought Bosch Work Shop for about $2.50, and did not have to buy a whole case.

Sadly, upgrading to the Fram Ultra 3600 (longer version of their FL910S equivalent) is not possible for me since it would be contacting the fan shroud/radiator, due to being about .75" longer than the FL-400S (which IS the cross-reference), which does fit.
frown.gif

Originally Posted by getawheel
Originally Posted by Bud

I've been rethinking that-- if I intend to go by the book, 5W-20 is the only choice. I do not know about these Ecoboost engines, have no reason or evidence to think that another grade will be better in any respect, so that is probably what I will run. Ford certainly spec'd 5W-20 for a reason. I'm just used to working on old stuff, from before xx-20 was nearly as common.

I was wondering about that. My manual states to use 5W-30 in the 2.0Land 2.5L, and 5W-20 in the 1.5L.

My car's manual in Europe/rest of world states to use 5W-30, NOT 5W-20, same exact engine/specs/everything, save for those cars being based on a MAF system, instead of our MAP based system.
21.gif

Originally Posted by dailydriver
My car's manual in Europe/rest of world states to use 5W-30, NOT 5W-20, same exact engine/specs/everything, save for those cars being based on a MAF system, instead of our MAP based system.
21.gif

The manual for Fusions (Mondeo outside of NA) for the 1.5L EB up to 2019 (same manual is listed when you pick 2014-2019 models) says to use 5W-20 or 5W-30. It also says

The engine has been designed to be used with Castrol and Ford Engine Oil... We recommend Castrol and Ford engine oils and lubricants.

Originally Posted by Bud

No It's not nonsense.
What's more important than a slight viscosity change is his choice of brands.

getawheel
You pay 30K for a new vehicle, but can't stand spending another couple dollars a few times per year for a better name brand oil.
Just because the cheap oil is the same spec as the more expensive, it's not the same for cleanliness and protection.
All diplomas are the same for everyone graduating. Do you think each student is equally smart?
OMG!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back