Bought a truck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice truck!

Keep us posted about power and fuel economy.

And don't forget the suspension and frame is still made of steel, so rust proof it!

Originally Posted by JTK
Congrats! Nice looking truck and I love that color!

Just tried taking my mom's 2015 Camry to that Quick Lane in the background for a state inspection last week.
lol.gif
Total disarray in there that day. Got it done elsewhere.

Haha yeah I bet, if I do ever go anywhere for an oil change (until I'm out of an apartment) it would be Basil on Walden. But I'll do them myself.

Originally Posted by Chris Meutsch
West-Herr, or the dealer on Southwestern?
Looks very nice.

Towne on Southwestern. Had a really good time and the salesman was a friend. Did the A-Plan and then went through all of the applicable credits/rebates. Had no idea that since we already owned a 2017 Taurus we'd get a loyalty credit. That was cool.

IDK what combo oil/filter I want to run, but if I was to walk into a Wally World tomorrow I'd probably pick up 6qts of Mobil 1 EP 5W-30 and the correct Motorcraft filter. This engine has a cartridge filter on the top. Truthfully I haven't searched here yet to see what anyone else is running or how hard this thing is on oil.

This little 2.7 is a rocket. Plenty of power for the daily driven 1/2 ton. My exact truck is rated at 6,800lbs towing. I doubt I'd ever be near that. Maybe 5k in towing my Regal, 3-4k in a camping trailer or a couple of ATVs on a trailer. ATV in the bed, etc. Truck suits me super well. I've seen 21-24 mpg on the dash already, but who knows how accurate that is.

Thank you all.

Originally Posted by Nick1994
Nice truck!

Keep us posted about power and fuel economy.

And don't forget the suspension and frame is still made of steel, so rust proof it!

Aluminum can also corrode, so touch up any paint chips ASAP.

Congrats on your new truck.

Your Motorcraft oil filter number is FL-2062. Remember with this engine when you change the oil you have to wait 15 minutes before checking the level.

It is just the evolution in engines Years ago, any 6 cylinder was considered a dog and only a V-8 would do in the majority of cars. Now a 6 cylinder is a powerful engine. I have a 3,500 pound car with a naturally aspirated fuel injected 4 cylinder engine that maxes at 175 horses. Unthinkable to get that much power from a 4 cylinder back in the day.

Watch the tip bcardinal posted on checking the oil level.

I brought my truck to dealers for oil changes while under the 3/36 warranty. One dealership I took the truck to took my info and truck in for its oil change. 13 minutes later, they come in to tell me the oil change is done. I said here is what we are going to do. I'm going to park the truck to the side, and we are going to check the oil level in 15 minutes. Did so, had the service advisor check the level, which was now way over the max reading, and reminded them that these engines take time, which is the opposite of what a quick lane wants, but to please take their time and do it right. Got it done right, and free oil change out of that.

I recognize that the best techs aren't out there doing oil changes, but at a minimum, the guy running the place should know how to service their product correctly.

Originally Posted by MNgopher
Watch the tip bcardinal posted on checking the oil level.

I brought my truck to dealers for oil changes while under the 3/36 warranty. One dealership I took the truck to took my info and truck in for its oil change. 13 minutes later, they come in to tell me the oil change is done. I said here is what we are going to do. I'm going to park the truck to the side, and we are going to check the oil level in 15 minutes. Did so, had the service advisor check the level, which was now way over the max reading, and reminded them that these engines take time, which is the opposite of what a quick lane wants, but to please take their time and do it right. Got it done right, and free oil change out of that.

I recognize that the best techs aren't out there doing oil changes, but at a minimum, the guy running the place should know how to service their product correctly.
Nothing against the good Ford people here, but they would have done the same thing in any of my local Ford dealers. I'm still looking for a competent Ford dealer that doesn't take forever to do anything!

Originally Posted by Srt20
Is this oil level thing just the 2.7? Or 3.5 also? I wasnt aware of this.

Just the 2.7 and the variants of that, the 3.0 in the Lincolns and 2020 Explorer.

When these first came out one of my techs that is really, really, really, really stubborn and hard to deal with told me I needed to bill out more oil after an oil change. I asked if he waited 15 minutes to check the level like the notice we all got said and I was told to worry about doing my job right and let him do his. Truck came back on a hook a bit later and was 4-5 quarts over.

Yeah, ...what is it with the 15 minute wait? Does it take time for the oil to drip down into the pan? Or should I ask why?

These are the engines with the plastic pan, no?

Best of luck with your new vehicle. What kinda parking brake does it have? lever? foot pedal? automatic?

Originally Posted by Kira
Yeah, ...what is it with the 15 minute wait? Does it take time for the oil to drip down into the pan? Or should I ask why?

These are the engines with the plastic pan, no?

Best of luck with your new vehicle. What kinda parking brake does it have? lever? foot pedal? automatic?

Plastic pan and it is a 2 piece block so it needs time for the oil to fully drain back down to the pan.

I drove Ford trucks for years and always loved them. Great color. Enjoy it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back