Pressure washer oil for a "residential-spec" pump?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm replacing the pump on my parent's pressure washer with a new one, since the plastic water inlet broke and it's an NLA part. The new pump is from a different manufacturer(AR, instead of OEM Technologies/FNA Group), it's one of these guys: https://www.arnorthamerica.com/prod...vertical-gas-flange-aluminum/srmw22g26ez

Of course AR calls for their own oil, AR64545. The label on the pump says use SAE 90W or 85W90. The "crankcase" on these pumps holds less than 3oz of oil. It houses the swashplate mechanism that drives the pump's pistons - it works like a car's AC compressor.

From what I've googled, most people have been using gear oil and the OEM oil does smell like it. I was planning on draining the factory fill and using a synthetic 75W-90 like M1, Red Line, Amsoil or ST. Will this work? The goal is to have this pressure washer run for a good while until it's time to junk it.

75w-90 should work. These pumps get hot. What most don't realize is it is cooled by the water flowing through it. If you are spraying and then stop to do something and let the unit run, it can overheat the pump. At least that is my understanding. Going with a synthetic to me is a plus.

If any bronze bushings inside your gearbox...try to avoid GL5 spec...unless it says "yellow metal safe" on a bottle....

Originally Posted by Kamele0N
If any bronze bushings inside your gearbox...try to avoid GL5 spec...unless it says "yellow metal safe" on a bottle....

Good point. I'll look at the service literature for these, if that's the case I'll run MT-90.

Originally Posted by Rand
you can buy Cat pump oil at home depot for about $7 iirc.

CAT pump oil is 20 weight oil if Im remembering correctly. The OP's pump calls for 90 weight gear oil.

Last edited:
I wouldnt bother with synthetic. Buy the cheapest gear oil you can find. The water running through the pump keeps it relatively cool. Assuming normal homeowner use, change the pump oil every 2 years.

Originally Posted by bubbatime
I wouldnt bother with synthetic. Buy the cheapest gear oil you can find. The water running through the pump keeps it relatively cool. Assuming normal homeowner use, change the pump oil every 2 years.

Well, I do have a little bit of 75/140 or 75/90 ST leftover from doing diffs on an Explorer and Forester...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back