oil change 2018 Ram 1500 Pentastar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ive been running pennzoil conventional 5w20 and the mopar filter. Change both every 5K.

I go 6-7k on PP 5-30. (spec was 5-20 or 5-30 for non-PUG)
I can see 240* oil temps when occasionally towing, so I use syn and go a little bit longer between changes.

PUGs went to 0W-20/5W20 in RAM 1500's in 2017 I think. (2016 was for Grand Cherokee only)

Originally Posted by The Critic
Originally Posted by JC1
Originally Posted by JC1

I know people get worried about warranty issues, but can possibly go wrong if you are using a quality oil and not abusing your OCI interval?

Judging from the Pentastar issues posted by the Chrysler Techs (a private group I am part of), a lot of things...

I know there were bad heads on the early Pentastar motors and issues of.oil filter housings leaking from cracks.

Any other surprises that we should be aware of?

The heads are still a problem - even on the 14+. Not a week goes by without seeing several posts on this issue. Failed Camshafts, Collapsed lifters and failed roller rockers are also mentioned quite frequently.

The camshaft/lifter/rocker problems are on the Hemi engines only. It's all one issue actually, the roller on the rocker locks up and chews up the camshaft lobe, and the bits and pieces usually score the metal surrounding the lifter as well. But it is occurring in the 5.7L, 6.1L, and 6.4L Hemis (maybe the 6.2L as well, not sure), not the Pentastar V6s.

[

The camshaft/lifter/rocker problems are on the Hemi engines only. It's all one issue actually, the roller on the rocker locks up and chews up the camshaft lobe, and the bits and pieces usually score the metal surrounding the lifter as well. But it is occurring in the 5.7L, 6.1L, and 6.4L Hemis (maybe the 6.2L as well, not sure), not the Pentastar V6s.[/quote]

Pentastars have roller rocker issues and the oil filter/cooler plastic housing develops leaks around the seals or gets cracked by over exuberant filter housing tightening. Both are fairly simple/inexpensive fixes. I've been led to believe the aftermarket roller rockers solve that problem but the filter housing/cooler assembly does not. Sooooo 20-120k miles and you get to change another one.

Got 2 vehicles with the Pentastar, that's how much I like that engine. Going to run 0w20 Havoline ProDS full synthetic in both, and do a UOA to see if it's a good fit.

I currently have 2 Pentastar powered vehicles. A 13 Durango with 107 k and an 18 300 with 18k. Had a 14 Charger that had 87k when traded for the 300. Zero engine problems an any of the 3. All have had 5w20 PP or Valvoline syn and Mopar filters at 5 k intervals. Put good quality oil in the Pentastar and change the oil at reasonable intervals and you will be fine. I will not live by the OLM, oil is cheap and when you change the oil you can look everything else over. Regarding the filter housing/cooler cracks, simply lubricate the threads in the filter cap and don't pull it down tight. When the o-ring seats, just snug it. The grease monkeys that do oil changes at quick lube or dealers are the culprits on this problem.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by MotoGuzzi
Zero engine problems an any of the 3 Pentastarengines.
. I have family that is having problems with this engine in his Ram. Different mechanics said to replace the engine. He did go to the local dealer who did $2000 of work only to have the CES light come on a week later.

Originally Posted by NH73
. I have family that is having problems with this engine in his Ram. Different mechanics said to replace the engine. He did go to the local dealer who did $2000 of work only to have the CES light come on a week later.

Replace the engine due to what?

Originally Posted by The_Nuke
The camshaft/lifter/rocker problems are on the Hemi engines only. It's all one issue actually, the roller on the rocker locks up and chews up the camshaft lobe, and the bits and pieces usually score the metal surrounding the lifter as well. But it is occurring in the 5.7L, 6.1L, and 6.4L Hemis (maybe the 6.2L as well, not sure), not the Pentastar V6s.

Please note that the 6.1 liter is not having any problems here at 110k miles and running a new best 1/4 mile at 12.56!

I have a 2015 Charger AWD that I beat on daily. I have been doing 10K changes with PP and WIX XP or Feam Ultra. I was thinking about doing a UOA next OIC since this will be the 3rd oil change on my ownership.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by demarpaint

Don't know. CES light. I think the $2000 was for head work.

Originally Posted by demarpaint

Don't know. CES light. I think the $2000 was for head work.

That head work was most likely the infamous "bad head" problem known to crop up in the Pentastars. It is covered by the warranty though, so an affected engine will get a new cylinder head out of it as well as an extended warranty on that engine's cyulinder heads.

If the friend paid $2000 for something that FCA would have covered for free, they can file a claim to get reimbursed under the warranty, but they'll have to be able to provide the necessary paperwork to go along with the claim. For $2000, it sure seems worth looking into I believe.

Originally Posted by The_Nuke

That head work was most likely the infamous "bad head" problem known to crop up in the Pentastars. It is covered by the warranty though, so an affected engine will get a new cylinder head out of it as well as an extended warranty on that engine's cyulinder heads.

If the friend paid $2000 for something that FCA would have covered for free, they can file a claim to get reimbursed under the warranty, but they'll have to be able to provide the necessary paperwork to go along with the claim. For $2000, it sure seems worth looking into I believe.

Just a point of information. The extended warranty is limited to the left cylinder head, and "certain" model years 2011-2013, as they worded it. It runs 10 years or 150K miles. MY 2014 and up does not get the extended warranty on the head, unless there is some new information regarding it out there. If so please link to it, so I can bookmark it for future reference. Thanks

Originally Posted by JC1
Originally Posted by JC1

I know people get worried about warranty issues, but can possibly go wrong if you are using a quality oil and not abusing your OCI interval?

Judging from the Pentastar issues posted by the Chrysler Techs (a private group I am part of), a lot of things...

I know there were bad heads on the early Pentastar motors and issues of.oil filter housings leaking from cracks.

Any other surprises that we should be aware of?

I know you are specially concerned about the Pentastar motor but I briefly considered a new JL Wrangler until I went on the forums (yes, I know forums attract people who want to complain) and found FCA seems to have lots of problems with everything - Motors, transmissions, steering, paint, cheap plastic bits breaking all the time, electrical gremlins, etc and their service departments don't seem to know how to fix any of it. I've spent the past 20 years on various auto forums and I've never seen so many HUGE issues with a single car but my point is the Pentastar still comes up a lot. My takeaway is stay clear of FCA and if you already own an FCA product and it's trouble-free count your lucky stars and do everything you can to nurture it.

Originally Posted by JLTD
Man you guys are running some short intervals...is that a necessity for the 3.6?

No

Originally Posted by Danno
If warranty is a consideration, Mobil 1 doesn't have Chrysler MS-6395 certification.

https://mobiloil.com/~/media/amer/us/pvl/files/pdfs/mobil-1-oil-product-specs-guide.pdf

I will buy someone's next oil change if they can show me a provable case where FCA denied warranty based on that lack of certification of a Mobil 1 product alone. If Valvoline conventional meets it, I would guarantee Mobil 1 would if they gave a hooey about obtaining it. Non issue.

I started off using PP 5W20 in my wife's 2014 Journey with the 3.6. I change it mostly by the OLM, because I'm away from home a lot. It's now on it's first run on Kendall GT-1 Max FS 5W20. It's not using a drop of oil at this time, and it's been trouble free thus far.

Originally Posted by Hootbro
Originally Posted by Danno
If warranty is a consideration, Mobil 1 doesn't have Chrysler MS-6395 certification.

https://mobiloil.com/~/media/amer/us/pvl/files/pdfs/mobil-1-oil-product-specs-guide.pdf

I will buy someone's next oil change if they can show me a provable case where FCA denied warranty based on that lack of certification of a Mobil 1 product alone. If Valvoline conventional meets it, I would guarantee Mobil 1 would if they gave a hooey about obtaining it. Non issue.

I have a friend with the lifetime Maxcare warranty before they did away with it... always, and I mean ALWAYS has had the dealer change his oil with his own oil, which is Mobil 1. When his hemi ate a lifter they covered it no questions asked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back