Recent Topics
2016-2017 Chevy Equinox reliability
by gregk24. 07/18/19 10:12 PM
Mann HU816 x
by IllinoisSparky. 07/18/19 09:41 PM
Seafood Combo
by vavavroom. 07/18/19 09:37 PM
‘13 Silverado 1500 Extended Cab
by parshisa. 07/18/19 09:35 PM
Where to have a watch serviced?
by E150GT. 07/18/19 08:32 PM
Stubborn diff fill plug
by HoosierJeeper. 07/18/19 08:21 PM
For Astro14
by BMWTurboDzl. 07/18/19 08:10 PM
Big score on auto parts clearance AAP
by Marco620. 07/18/19 08:05 PM
Would this cause my jeep to stall?
by MileHigh18. 07/18/19 08:00 PM
Looking for Highlander '06,'07, '09
by Gebo. 07/18/19 06:39 PM
'03 F150 Parking Brake Adjustment
by benjamming. 07/18/19 06:17 PM
Do You Still Change Your Oil at 3K?
by Gebo. 07/18/19 05:33 PM
Any sellers on amazon for Honda A02?
by BTLew81. 07/18/19 03:44 PM
First SMR (MMR) slated to be built at Chalk River
by OVERKILL. 07/18/19 03:31 PM
Torque Specs for 2004 Dodge Ram transfer case
by diyjake. 07/18/19 02:15 PM
OAT ad NOAT
by CCI. 07/18/19 02:06 PM
30 years clean & sober today.
by Papa Bear. 07/18/19 02:03 PM
What is high output AC?
by Fitz98. 07/18/19 12:45 PM
Newest Members
suuru, Hollicrev, Richb55, Shaz, Grousebeater
68702 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
91 registered members (4WD, AC1DD, 01rangerxl, 2010Civic, AdditiveOCD, 10 invisible), 1,611 guests, and 23 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums67
Topics292,055
Posts5,015,987
Members68,702
Most Online2,967
Mar 10th, 2019
Donate to BITOG
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: oil change 2018 Ram 1500 Pentastar [Re: demarpaint] #5111629
05/21/19 06:35 PM
05/21/19 06:35 PM
Joined: Oct 2014
Posts: 819
Pa, USA
NH73 Offline
NH73  Offline

Joined: Oct 2014
Posts: 819
Pa, USA
Originally Posted by demarpaint
Originally Posted by NH73
Originally Posted by MotoGuzzi
Zero engine problems an any of the 3 Pentastarengines.
. I have family that is having problems with this engine in his Ram. Different mechanics said to replace the engine. He did go to the local dealer who did $2000 of work only to have the CES light come on a week later.

Replace the engine due to what?
Don't know. CES light. I think the $2000 was for head work.


2017 Toyota RAV4 Hybrid
2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac
2012 Gravely ZT XL 48 w/ Kawasaki FR730
Re: oil change 2018 Ram 1500 Pentastar [Re: NH73] #5116920
05/27/19 02:32 AM
05/27/19 02:32 AM
Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 570
D/FW Metroplex
The_Nuke Offline
The_Nuke  Offline

Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 570
D/FW Metroplex
Originally Posted by NH73
Originally Posted by demarpaint
Originally Posted by NH73
Originally Posted by MotoGuzzi
Zero engine problems an any of the 3 Pentastarengines.
. I have family that is having problems with this engine in his Ram. Different mechanics said to replace the engine. He did go to the local dealer who did $2000 of work only to have the CES light come on a week later.

Replace the engine due to what?
Don't know. CES light. I think the $2000 was for head work.


That head work was most likely the infamous "bad head" problem known to crop up in the Pentastars. It is covered by the warranty though, so an affected engine will get a new cylinder head out of it as well as an extended warranty on that engine's cyulinder heads.

If the friend paid $2000 for something that FCA would have covered for free, they can file a claim to get reimbursed under the warranty, but they'll have to be able to provide the necessary paperwork to go along with the claim. For $2000, it sure seems worth looking into I believe.


2012 Charger Pursuit aka "The Bacon Hauler"
- 5.7L + NAG1 (A5) + 2.65 (215mm)
Re: oil change 2018 Ram 1500 Pentastar [Re: The_Nuke] #5116934
05/27/19 04:33 AM
05/27/19 04:33 AM
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 32,481
NY
demarpaint Offline
demarpaint  Offline

Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 32,481
NY
Originally Posted by The_Nuke


That head work was most likely the infamous "bad head" problem known to crop up in the Pentastars. It is covered by the warranty though, so an affected engine will get a new cylinder head out of it as well as an extended warranty on that engine's cyulinder heads.

If the friend paid $2000 for something that FCA would have covered for free, they can file a claim to get reimbursed under the warranty, but they'll have to be able to provide the necessary paperwork to go along with the claim. For $2000, it sure seems worth looking into I believe.

Just a point of information. The extended warranty is limited to the left cylinder head, and "certain" model years 2011-2013, as they worded it. It runs 10 years or 150K miles. MY 2014 and up does not get the extended warranty on the head, unless there is some new information regarding it out there. If so please link to it, so I can bookmark it for future reference. Thanks


God Bless Our Troops

Re: oil change 2018 Ram 1500 Pentastar [Re: JC1] #5116967
05/27/19 06:45 AM
05/27/19 06:45 AM
Joined: Apr 2018
Posts: 200
MA
PWMDMD Offline
PWMDMD  Offline

Joined: Apr 2018
Posts: 200
MA
Originally Posted by JC1
Originally Posted by The Critic
Originally Posted by JC1


I know people get worried about warranty issues, but can possibly go wrong if you are using a quality oil and not abusing your OCI interval?

Judging from the Pentastar issues posted by the Chrysler Techs (a private group I am part of), a lot of things...


I know there were bad heads on the early Pentastar motors and issues of.oil filter housings leaking from cracks.

Any other surprises that we should be aware of?


I know you are specially concerned about the Pentastar motor but I briefly considered a new JL Wrangler until I went on the forums (yes, I know forums attract people who want to complain) and found FCA seems to have lots of problems with everything - Motors, transmissions, steering, paint, cheap plastic bits breaking all the time, electrical gremlins, etc and their service departments don't seem to know how to fix any of it. I've spent the past 20 years on various auto forums and I've never seen so many HUGE issues with a single car but my point is the Pentastar still comes up a lot. My takeaway is stay clear of FCA and if you already own an FCA product and it's trouble-free count your lucky stars and do everything you can to nurture it.


Current: 2019 Lexus RX 350 (FF) and 2018 Honda Pilot Touring (Mobil 1 EP 0W-20 and Fram ULTRA XG7317)
Re: oil change 2018 Ram 1500 Pentastar [Re: stenerson] #5117273
05/27/19 12:58 PM
05/27/19 12:58 PM
Joined: Dec 2017
Posts: 2,338
CO
JLTD Offline
JLTD  Offline

Joined: Dec 2017
Posts: 2,338
CO
Man you guys are running some short intervals...is that a necessity for the 3.6?


I use the overseas manual to choose my oil viscosity.

Using AMSOIL

Hers: 2008 Jeep Liberty 149k, SS5w30/Amsoil

His: 2015 4Runner 55k, SS 5w20/Amsoil

Re: oil change 2018 Ram 1500 Pentastar [Re: JLTD] #5118125
05/28/19 12:02 PM
05/28/19 12:02 PM
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 466
CT
CrAlt Offline
CrAlt  Offline

Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 466
CT
Originally Posted by JLTD
Man you guys are running some short intervals...is that a necessity for the 3.6?


No


'16 Wrangler FormulaShell 5w20 / MO 349
'77 Corvette VR1 10w30 / WIX51061
'83 Trans-Am VR1 10w30 / WIX51061
'91 Dodge D150 FormulaShell 10w40 / WIX51515
Re: oil change 2018 Ram 1500 Pentastar [Re: Danno] #5120239
05/30/19 12:11 PM
05/30/19 12:11 PM
Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 2,666
DELAWARE
Hootbro Offline
Hootbro  Offline

Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 2,666
DELAWARE
Originally Posted by Danno
If warranty is a consideration, Mobil 1 doesn't have Chrysler MS-6395 certification.

https://mobiloil.com/~/media/amer/us/pvl/files/pdfs/mobil-1-oil-product-specs-guide.pdf


I will buy someone's next oil change if they can show me a provable case where FCA denied warranty based on that lack of certification of a Mobil 1 product alone. If Valvoline conventional meets it, I would guarantee Mobil 1 would if they gave a hooey about obtaining it. Non issue.


2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon 3.6L (Factory Fill 0W-20)
2017 Jeep Renegade Latitude 2.4L (Idemitsu 0W-20)

Re: oil change 2018 Ram 1500 Pentastar [Re: stenerson] #5121462
05/31/19 03:47 PM
05/31/19 03:47 PM
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 196
UT. USA
Dak27 Offline
Dak27  Offline

Joined: May 2010
Posts: 196
UT. USA
I started off using PP 5W20 in my wife's 2014 Journey with the 3.6. I change it mostly by the OLM, because I'm away from home a lot. It's now on it's first run on Kendall GT-1 Max FS 5W20. It's not using a drop of oil at this time, and it's been trouble free thus far.

Re: oil change 2018 Ram 1500 Pentastar [Re: Hootbro] #5121639
05/31/19 07:39 PM
05/31/19 07:39 PM
Joined: Nov 2018
Posts: 1,059
Chicagoland
Skippy722 Offline
Skippy722  Offline

Joined: Nov 2018
Posts: 1,059
Chicagoland
Originally Posted by Hootbro
Originally Posted by Danno
If warranty is a consideration, Mobil 1 doesn't have Chrysler MS-6395 certification.

https://mobiloil.com/~/media/amer/us/pvl/files/pdfs/mobil-1-oil-product-specs-guide.pdf


I will buy someone's next oil change if they can show me a provable case where FCA denied warranty based on that lack of certification of a Mobil 1 product alone. If Valvoline conventional meets it, I would guarantee Mobil 1 would if they gave a hooey about obtaining it. Non issue.


I have a friend with the lifetime Maxcare warranty before they did away with it... always, and I mean ALWAYS has had the dealer change his oil with his own oil, which is Mobil 1. When his hemi ate a lifter they covered it no questions asked.


2016 Chrysler 300S v6
2018 Dodge Grand Caravan GT

Slight Mopar obsession
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

BOB IS THE OIL GUY® Powered by UBB.threads™