new home dispute questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unless this is a small kitchen, 5k is low for granite countertops installed after the fact.

Minimum I'd be looking for is 10k for the issues described. They signed the contract too to deliver you what you agreed upon. Let the builder figure out how to deliver what they agreed upon. Either as it was specified or at a lower price (and more than 5k - the builder would agree to that in a heartbeat...)

Originally Posted by fdcg27
Make 'em fix it or tell 'em you're fixin' to walk.
Just like buying a car.
Make it right or I'll walk.
They will do the work, but you need to inspect it carefully to ensure that it wasn't done halfway right.
The builder probably did this willfully figuring that you'd be so anxious to take possession that you'd accept less than what you agreed to.

BINGO...

They made an agreement with you and failed to come through on these items....

Make them do it right or walk.

I would hold their feet to the fire and get these discrepancies taken care of before signing off. Also, you have to wonder what else is lacking or missing. Do a thorough walkthrough.

Originally Posted by Schmoe
2 things on the AC.....That 2 ton unit is going to run .....A LOT with the heat and humidity you get down there in San Antonio and the south wind is blowing. Put it this way, houses around here that are between 1800 and 2200 sq. ft are getting 4 ton units. Unless you spec out a larger size, a builder is going to use the cheapest they can find to meet house spec's. Also, Lennox isn't as good as they once were in the 90's and before. Parts availability has been an issue for them for the past 10 years. Also, from my experience working with AC folks, the higher SEER means higher cost and less longevity. I think with at least a 16 SEER, there are also rebates, but I wouldn't go any higher than a 16 SEER if your looking at getting a cost estimate from another AC vendor for comparison.

Texas is hot, but it isn't THAT hot. It's humid.

You don't size an A/C unit just on square footage. If it's well insulated it might be fine.

Originally Posted by PimTac
I would hold their feet to the fire and get these discrepancies taken care of before signing off. Also, you have to wonder what else is lacking or missing. Do a thorough walkthrough.

Yeah that was my thought too....probably cutting lots of corners. I'd get my own home inspector to check it thoroughly! Make the builder pay for that too.

Just because it is a new build doesn't mean there aren't issues right from the start!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Linctex
Originally Posted by RamFan
You're well within your rights for this concession and $5k seems right, if not a little undervalued.

Agreed!

It would cost them more than $5k to DO THE JOB RIGHT... so take the money.

If they have to do "redo work" it'll likely be substandard.

Agreed 100%

Originally Posted by gathermewool
Originally Posted by JustinH
Thanks, we don't need the granite, honestly I'd rather have 5k in my pocket etc.

My wife and I agreed that we did not want them ripping out AC or counters, we will only accept cash.

2 TON unit, 1440 3/2 home. Technically its called a detached condo because of the small lot, but it is a single family house.

My realtor broker is working with the inspector to get it all on paper and make the request to the builder.

If you didn't need granite, then why did you order it? Why did you order anything more than you needed? Is this your first new build?

IMO, it behooves you to let them fix any errors presented. If they concede to NOT fixing it for any amount, then I would think you're being screwed even more!

Did not order anything. This is not a custom home. At signing we were presented with a document of "Standard Features".

Listed was granite counters in bath and kitchen and 16 SEER ac unit.

I didn't even pick the color of the home it was all pre determined.

Unknown is what type of contract you have with the builder, all states vary and only giving you thoughts.

If I understand correctly, you are in contract and these features are part of the house, final inspection has turned up issues that was supposed to come with the house.

If so, no problem. Builder will have to do your granite and A/C unit, it really should not even be a concern from ANY reputable builder.
You state you rather not have those features and will accept $5000. instead, the dollar amount sounds reasonable to most people but very well maybe on the high side.

Here is why the builder may OR may not take your offer.

1. Its possible those features A/C and granite were completely the fault/error of the company involved installing them (supplier/subcontractor). The builder can call them and say, hey you made a mistake, go fix it, in that case it cost the builder nothing but a phone call.

2. It is possible someone in the builders office made the mistake, then, it would fall on the builder.

3. It could be a combination of the above or some degree of it. So hard to put a price tag right now on an unknown.
Depending on the size of the home, it doesnt cost half as much for those features as most people think. But, the builder may concede the 5k to get something closed quickly whether or not his fault and also penalize the sub contractor.

If I was in your shoes and really didnt want the granite and AC unit 5k would be a starting point but dont be disappointed if its turned down and be thrilled if it is accepted.
Personally, thinking of resale, I rather have the granite and AC.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back